First wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be a little cautious going down 95 feet for the first time. I would really like to have one of your dive buddies keep an eye on you in case you get narked. I dont think you have ever felt what its like and you might not know whats going on and put yourself and the rest of your group n danger. The last thing you need is to be swimming in circles at 95 feet and not realize what you are doing. Planning a dive at that depth or really any depth at all I would feel safer to have pure oxygen on board the boat just in case. Good luck and be safe..

MadisonK:
Matt - thanks for the reply. Don't worry about insulting me - I usually bring it upon myself. I dive with a computer. I know how to read the tables but I haven't used them on any of the shallow dives we have done. I will use the dive plan function on the Suunto tonight. I dive air not nitrox. Thanks for the info on the mooring balls. I have seen the boats out there many times but I never noticed them tied up to moorings.

Like I said - we are diving with two very experienced divers. I feel pretty comfortable. The other 3 people that I am diving with and I are all planning on doing the Advanced PADI course within the next few weeks but we are all excited to try this dive. If you can think of any other warnings please don't hesitate. Thanks.

You did not mention if you had been diving in this area previously. Has your experience been here in NE or warm water? Will you be diving dry or wet? If your experience has been warm water - you do not want to do this dive just yet. No scare tactics or anything just telling you it will be a paradigm shift for you. No offense to our southern friends, but 75' in warm clear water is like 20' in NE in terms of the psychological feeling of the dive as well as the difference in gear, weight, temps, etc.

If your experience has been in NE then you know it's like. You can choose to conduct the dive on the deck of the wreck at 75'. Depending upon the vis you may see the wreck from 60'. As you are descending the mooring lines by the way you will come to a large floating ball at about 40' that supports the large heavy chain connected directly to the wreck.

--Matt

I have done all of my dives within a few miles of this wreck. I dive with a dry suit as well.

Matt - that was kind of my orignal question about the depth and time at the bottom. I wasn't sure if this dive was conducted at 100' or at 65' on the top of the wreck. According to the computer and the tables at 100' we have only a 15 minute bottom time, at the top of the wreck it is obviously longer (don't have the table in front of me). I plan on going to the shallowest depth possible while still being on the wreck.

Also, I don't plan on being out of touching distance from the experienced guys coming with us.

We will have oxygen on the boat as well as an extra tank and regulator suspended below the boat in case anyone needs extra time. The guys are both certified to very high levels including rescue diving.

So - Can I still do this dive safely given all of these facts?

MadisonK:
I have done all of my dives within a few miles of this wreck. I dive with a dry suit as well.

Matt - that was kind of my orignal question about the depth and time at the bottom. I wasn't sure if this dive was conducted at 100' or at 65' on the top of the wreck. According to the computer and the tables at 100' we have only a 15 minute bottom time, at the top of the wreck it is obviously longer (don't have the table in front of me). I plan on going to the shallowest depth possible while still being on the wreck.

Also, I don't plan on being out of touching distance from the experienced guys coming with us.

We will have oxygen on the boat as well as an extra tank and regulator suspended below the boat in case anyone needs extra time. The guys are both certified to very high levels including rescue diving.

So - Can I still do this dive safely given all of these facts?

You can do this wreck without exceeding 75'. You can also choose to do this wreck in the sand which in most cases will be about 92' (hovering a few feet off the bottom). It is more interesting to see the top of the structure for your first time anyway.

The tank suspended from your boat could be useful but only if you run a line from that tank to the mooring line. If your boat is 20' long (for example), and there is normal (minimal) current, then you are looking at about 40' horizontal distance from 20' below the surface at the mooring line to 20' below the stern of your boat. You would not see this tank from the mooring line at 20' below the surface so you would need a line to get to it.

I hesitate with your question "can I do this dive safely". Only YOU should answer that question unless you are in a course with an instructor you trust. Under any circumstances - you are the 'pilot in command' when it comes to your own safety. If you feel good about it, are configured properly, feel confident with the environment, buddies, and plan....then have a great dive. If not, demonstrate your good judgement and build more experience before you do this dive.

The difficulty of a site will always be relative. What I consider the limit of my comfort zone will be an easy boring dive for someone else. I consider the Poling a fun, easy dive with a great mooring system in place relatively close to shore. You can't get lost as long as you stay on top and follow the outside of the hull. Make sure you go up a mooring line and you will never be more than 70' from your boat if you go up the wrong line. (Go up the right line....I'm saying if for some reason you get disoriented).

You need to make the call about what is right and safe for you.

--Matt

JimC:
There is not much current. I had no problems useing the line as a refernce, but there is a very solid mooring line you can use.

As with (almost) any open water in the ocean dive there can be "not much" current or there can be a "ripping" current. It can rip in any direction. It can change quickly. I experienced a slight starboard to port current on the CP one day, at the break. Then while on the deck it quickly changed to port to starboard and swept my buddy right off and down toward the sand.

My point is this: vigilance is the key. Stay near the wreck. I'd suggest for MadisonK's first dive they remain on the deck and not go far. On the second dive they can become more adventurous.

MadisonK:
we are planning on doing two groups of 3. I have a drysuit so the water temp should be OK. Any idea how I find out about the mooring?

Also - how do I guage my confidence level? I'm very comfortable in the water. I have excellent buoyancy control (if I do say so myself :eyebrow: ). I have very good gear including a dive computer from Suunto. I'm not a risk taker but I honestly don't know how to decide when I'm ready for the next step.

As always - Thank You for your help!

While I usually go alone, when with others, I find that group of 3 is most difficult. Everyone has to watch everyone, and more than likely you will be separated.
I recommend you go in three groups of two.
The first two can make sure the tie in is secure (especially if you cant use the mooring). Last group lets free.

Suunto is very conservative computer. But do you have a backup timer or computer?
For that depth, I don't care how many are in my group, I would not do that kind of dive without a redundant air supply such as a 30cuft pony, lift bag and reel (and knowledge of how to deploy).

MadisonK:
i still haven't figured out the where to post what question on this board so if this is in the wrong place please tell me. Also, the search function hasn't turned up too much for me.

I am planning on doing a dive on the Chester Polin in Gloucester, MA. I am a new diver with approx. 25 dives in the last two months. The deepest has been to 75'. The Polin is in 95'. There will be 6 of us diving from my boat. Two of the guys are 1000+ dives with multiple dives to this wreck. They will be leading us. I would like to know as much as I can before we do the dive and not depend on them for everything.

Here are my questions.

Any tips on anchoring over a wreck. Tips on descend/ascend lines? High tide will be at 11:12am that day. Slack tide is obviously preferable. How far on either side of the 11:12 can we dive safely.

What kind of bottom time can I expect?

Any other special considerations?

We will not be entering this wreck or anything else unsafe. The Polin is an oil barge and is apparently a relatively safe dive.

You ask for " special considerations" here's just one.
gas management. Diving a single tank to that depth is no big deal ,but your air consumption will be.It sounds like you will be the one responsible for turning the dive.Talk the plan over with your buddies before entering the water i.e When your pressure gauge hits thirds it is time to think about going home.
That should also take care of your bottom time question.
Good luck dive safe.

The last dive I did on the Poling was in mid July at which time I saw a very large wolf eel with a soccer ball sized head.

Facing the break of the ship head down to the sand and look under the wreck on the left hand side (within 5 yards from the break).

Jim

Wolf Eel?

Maybe I don't have enough experience :10:

Well if the weather holds we are going Sunday. I appreciate all of the helpful responses. I feel confident that this dive is well within my abilities. The funny thing is the 3 other newbie's (less than 50 dives) haven't had any concerns about doing this dive. They feel like the two leaders going with us wouldn't lead us unless they were confident. It being my boat and with another child due in October I guess I'm just extra cautious. I'll let you know how we fair.

Thanks

Ken

MadisonK:
Wolf Eel?

Maybe I don't have enough experience :10:

Well if the weather holds we are going Sunday. I appreciate all of the helpful responses. I feel confident that this dive is well within my abilities. The funny thing is the 3 other newbie's (less than 50 dives) haven't had any concerns about doing this dive. They feel like the two leaders going with us wouldn't lead us unless they were confident. It being my boat and with another child due in October I guess I'm just extra cautious. I'll let you know how we fair.

Thanks

Ken

If MA gets the same type of weather they are forcasting for LI (NY) you are not going anywhere on sunday (except out for breakfast)

Back
Top Bottom