Fitness for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See www.diabetes.org for the correct information.
Briefly:
Type I Diabetes-The body produces no insulin (hormone required to break down sugar). This generally affects children.
Type II Diabetes-The body becomes insulin "resistant". Commonly associated with obesity.

On another surfing exercise type note try doing "supermans". This is another core (by core I refer to your body's natural "weight belt" the transverse abdominus) movement that is really easy to perform:
Lie flat on belly (prop a pillow under belly if suffering from LBP)
Contract TVA (keep breathing) and raise L arm & R leg (only until the thigh and arm are perpendicular to the floor)
Hold 5 seconds...
Release and switch to R arm and L leg
Repeat until tired or bored (I hate it when people ask me for a number of reps...do as many as you can!)
For increased challenge change start position to hands and knees.
For more challenge use a fitball.

One of the biggest difficulties in prescribing and designing a program for people is insuring that it is not boring. Your personal trainer should always ask what you DON'T like to do first! The PT should also NEVER try to shove you into his/her idea of a perfect program (those that do are probably not worth your money and probably just read the latest variation in M&F). I personally try different workouts, routines and even some supplements (not often though...some of those supplements make urine turn the strangest colors :eek:ut: ) and work with the client to make a workout that is fun and change it up on a regular basis. And avoid the screamers...man I hate that...it's not motivation at all. Rehab I handle differently as the object there is to heal the injury..rebuild muscle endurance..then strength...proprioception..and finally actual objective use (whether it's track, scuba, or simply brushing your hair...if you have ever suffered from shoulder encapsulitis you will know what I mean!).
Whoops..did not mean to hop on a soapbox here. Hope it helps. I don't have much else to do at the moment so you'll have to excuse the ramble :D

well that sounds like something I can add! It also sounds fairly easy.

Another exercise I do for stregthening my core (and knees and quads) is kneeling on a stability ball. Once you can get balanced (which I mastered pretty quickly - all those years of keeping balanced on a boat and on the subway!) you extend your arms in front - then to the side, then over your head - I can usually do 12-15 before falling off - I've actually added 3lb weights - they really make you use alot of muscles and its fun! We like when exercise is fun!

Belly dancing is also really good for strengthening core muscles, plus it's fun :wink:

Eating your main meal at luchtime is a good idea, doesn't work for me though. I eat quite a healthy and large breakfast so am never hungry at lunchtime so I just snack on fruit, yoghurt and rice cakes and have my dinner when I get home. I do try and eat as early as possible and since I exercise in the evenings after my dinner it works out the same for me. I have managed to keep to a stable, healthy weight since I was 16 with no problems.

climbing back onto the boat you definitely need strong quads - - back and abs are probably just as important esp. if you dive doubles or steel tanks.

just my two cents... now if I would just practice what I preach! :rolleyes:

Phish-phood once bubbled...
Eating your main meal at lunchtime is a good idea, doesn't work for me though. I eat quite a healthy and large breakfast so am never hungry at lunchtime so I just snack .....
I actually read somewhere that if you're going to skip a meal at all, skip lunch instead of breakfast. I dunno, it worked for me. I've lost about 14 pounds this summer - to be honest it was a bit of a surprise as I hadn't been trying to lose the weight - but then I thought about it and I've been eating breakfast, which means I can do like you, and go straight thru lunchtime with just a snack (for me it's granola bars or the odd cup of chocolate milk) until supper.

Mind you it also makes sense - the metabolism needs a 'kick-start' in the morning after being dormant for >8 hours (or whatever kind of sleep you're getting)

FreeFloat once bubbled...

I actually read somewhere that if you're going to skip a meal at all, skip lunch instead of breakfast.

I found I can easily skip lunch - but watch out if I skip breakfast! A nutritionist friend of mine says you should actually have your first meal within an hour of waking up - I have to take meds in the AM on an empty stomach so I usually have breakfast about an hour and a half after waking up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom