Fitness for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crocker didn;t start coaching down at WKU until like 96 or 97...which was like 2 years after he finished swimming for coach powell.....I don't remember exactly all the dates....a lot of beer was drank between then and now....

YEah, I've heard of Cy....being an old X grad myself, I can say we were never beaten.....ever.....well.

Anyway....there are a lot of coaches out there that are top notch...there's a reason a lot of the best swimmers in the world train over here...there's a reason the US is always one of the top 2 swimming countries in the olympics....

Actually the OH/KY/IN tri-state area is one of the fastest high-school areas in the country hand's down...as I understand it there might be 2 faster districts in the nation for the top 16 in HS swimming, but rarely is the cincinnati district out of the top 2.

Alright...I could talk swimming all day....but I have like work or something to do.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Steve who?

My best friend swam for WKU in the early 90's. Steve wasn't coaching then.

You ever heard of Joel Cyganiwicz. He coached Nancy Hogshead, Joan Pennington, Tracy Caulkins..All gold medalist out of Nashville, TN.

Coach Cy was my coach down in Elizabethtown, Ky. He got a few of us to the Olympic Trials but not me and nobody made it from E-town to the big one. We were state champs for 3 yrs. and we were also the last team to beat St. X. Cy is coaching outside DC now. He was a coach on the last Pan American Games. He's also in the top .5% of swim coaches in America.

Anyone that has coached in America has heard of this guy. He kicked our butts but there were nice rewards for it. Like scholorships about anywhere we wanted.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Crocker didn;t start coaching down at WKU until like 96 or 97...which was like 2 years after he finished swimming for coach powell.....I don't remember exactly all the dates....a lot of beer was drank between then and now....

YEah, I've heard of Cy....being an old X grad myself, I can say we were never beaten.....ever.....well.

Anyway....there are a lot of coaches out there that are top notch...there's a reason a lot of the best swimmers in the world train over here...there's a reason the US is always one of the top 2 swimming countries in the olympics....

Actually the OH/KY/IN tri-state area is one of the fastest high-school areas in the country hand's down...as I understand it there might be 2 faster districts in the nation for the top 16 in HS swimming, but rarely is the cincinnati district out of the top 2.

Alright...I could talk swimming all day....but I have like work or something to do.

I don't have any work to do some come on now.

Did you graduate from St. X out of Louisville or out of Cincy? We were the last team to beat St. X in mens swimming in 1988. We came in 2nd place in 1990. It was to funny. We lost by single digit numbers. When it was trophy presentation time we had our 6 swimmers go up to recieve the trophy while St. X had there 18 swimmer to go get it. IT WAS AWESOME. We only lost by a few points with 1/3 the swimmers. You know anyone from those years at St. X on the swim team??? 1985-1990???? We won state in 1985, 87,88. Of course we won combined mens and womens every year but who gives a hoot about that one.

Cincy....I am too young to know anyone on the teams from the mid 80's....check out my profile.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

I don't have any work to do some come on now.

Did you graduate from St. X out of Louisville or out of Cincy? We were the last team to beat St. X in mens swimming in 1988. We came in 2nd place in 1990. It was to funny. We lost by single digit numbers. When it was trophy presentation time we had our 6 swimmers go up to recieve the trophy while St. X had there 18 swimmer to go get it. IT WAS AWESOME. We only lost by a few points with 1/3 the swimmers. You know anyone from those years at St. X on the swim team??? 1985-1990???? We won state in 1985, 87,88. Of course we won combined mens and womens every year but who gives a hoot about that one.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Cincy....I am too young to know anyone on the teams from the mid 80's....check out my profile.

Ahhh.. My bad...Cool pic and little one.

diver_paula once bubbled...

Water aerobics - with an intense instructor, not one with a bunch of senior women.

Dont have access to a pool unfortunately but the martial arts thing sounds cool.

We have these treadmills that go up to a 50% incline. I try and raise the incline and walk it with holding on and without. I can get up to a 30% incline holding on - 15 % on my own. Either way it gets my heartrate going and setting mini goals keeps it from getting boring!

Just want to thank everyone for their suggestions - I've got alot to work with now :)

I'd love to have time to work on fitness for diving but my week is totally packed out with training already. Unfortunately as hockey player I need a totally different kind of fitness. Endurance is not so much the issue, more short bursts of speed from almost standing still with quick recovery times so that I can play the whole match. Not so good for diving though.

I can sympathise totally with those 'drowning victims' My technique really really sucks. What makes all the difference to me is putting fins on in the pool, extra length and power, builds up my leg muscles quite well but I am never going to be a particularly good or elegant swimmer.

Lifting my kit around is not a problem. Even though I am quite slight, I worked in bar through college and lifting an carrying crates, kegs and bottle skips around has kept my upper body strength good without ever needing to go near weights.

My workout --

2 x per week -- Moderate swim workout (mile swim). My swim is generally broken up as follows:
- 20 minutes stretching
- 25 yard underwater swim (or farther, if I can make it)
- 400 freestyle warm-up
- 100 breast
- 200 free
- 100 kick
- 200 free
- 100 breast
- 200 free
- 100 kick
- 100 free sprint
- 300 warm down (usually alternating laps of slow, gradual free and breast)

2 x per week -- dry land cardio/weight training workout
- 20 minutes stretching
- 30 minutes of cardio (bike or eliptical training)
- leg work (quad extension, hamstring curl, squat machine, toe raises, step ups w/ no weight)
- upper body -- bench press, lat pull down, shoulder raises with arms extended straight out, reverse flys, arm curls, dips)
- crunches/back strengthening exercises

I think weight training plays an important role, especially if you are diving in colder climates were you are toting more gear/weight.

NJDiveGirl once bubbled...

We have these treadmills that go up to a 50% incline. I try and raise the incline and walk it with holding on and without. I can get up to a 30% incline holding on - 15 % on my own. Either way it gets my heartrate going and setting mini goals keeps it from getting boring!

Incline trainers are great tools. Another neat heartrate booster is to set the incline at 50%, speed at 1.0mph, and walk backwards. It's a real quad burner, and most of my clients are spent after only 2 minutes of this.

Cameron

CameronMartz once bubbled...

Incline trainers are great tools. Another neat heartrate booster is to set the incline at 50%, speed at 1.0mph, and walk backwards. It's a real quad burner, and most of my clients are spent after only 2 minutes of this.

Cameron

That sounds truly evil!!! :mean: I'll have to give it a shot!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
There was this one student who had been body building for over 5 years - he was massive on the muscle side of things - but all his effort was purely isometric. To my confounding surprise he swam 1/2 down the lane and sank to the bottom! Whoa! Needless to say several of us jumped in and we all pulled him from the water and turns out he was fine, though shaken. He did not complete the course however.

In our discussion that followed, we all agreed that the cause was explained in a comment he made after his rescue - namely that he never does cardio workouts. Bottom line - the man was completely OUT-OF-SHAPE when it comes to any endurance requirements in sports. It was a very important lesson learned about being fooled by appearances and that we need to do the right kind of exercise to match the type of sport we are invovled in. I'm just tremendously happy that this man was unharmed.

I would agree with this to a point. Doing cardio workouts will not necessarily help your swimming unless that cardio workout is swimming. I too work out a fair bit, and though I am no bodybuilder, my fat percentage is fairly low and I tend to sink like a stone in water. I've run marathons and duathlons, road racing and mountain bike racing, but I am not a particularly strong swimmer. All the cycling and running in the world has not improved my swimming endurance significantly. There have been some benefits such as better VO2 but in order to be an improved swimmer, I need to spend (some) time in the pool. The muscles you use in swimming need to be conditioned in such a way to improve your swimming. Doing other cardio activities may help to a degree, but running, for example, will not be even close to the conditioning required to be a good swimmer and vice versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom