Fitness for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a fish when I was a kid. Always in the water. In my teens I was a lifeguard so I think my technique is okay. However, swimming in an indoor pool is not a good option for me as high humidity aggravates my mild asthma.

I've tried the weight room, cardio equipment, martial arts but right now what I find good is a 30min circuit training program. A girlfriend and I have joined "Sisters" which is almost identical to "Curves" if you've seen those places around. They are 'women only' facilities where they have a number of pieces of equipment with slowdown spacers between. What the plan is, you work the hydraulic equipment as hard/fast as you can for 30secs and then move to the slowdown pad and walk/jog on the spot for 30secs and then on to the next piece of equipment. The machines are hydraulic so you get more than one muscle and you go at the speed that fits you. Several pieces of the equipment can accomodate more than one exercise so as you go around the circuit you switch it up a bit. Three times around is a 30min workout.

Benefits I've found:
1)cardio workout and weight training workout combined
2)you're done in 30 mins (or go longer if you want to)
3)mindless - on those days where your brain is fried from work, you don't have to think about what you're going to do. You just move to the next piece when you're prompted to.
4)you don't have to wait for equipment to become available like in a weight room or a sign-up sheet for the cardio equipment.
5)supervision - I found in the weight room, the fitness guy sits in an office and doesn't check that people are using equipment properly. Where I go, they measure/weigh you regularly as well as making sure everyone's heartrate is at a good level (it's checked every 10min).
6)misery loves company. There's always someone else in there with you to commiserate.

They also offer yoga and have guest speakers come in about a variety of topics although that's an extra cost.

Diverlady

diverlady once bubbled...
A girlfriend and I have joined "Sisters" which is almost identical to "Curves" if you've seen those places around.

Thats my biggest problem - I really need a gym buddy!!!

The workout sounds great, it seems like something I might like!

Hi...
When not doing my "one weekend a month and two weeks a year" deployed here to Kosovo :rolleyes: I am a Sports Therapist and personal trainer (Dip PT, Dip IIST, MREPS, MRNT) in private practice. You cannot beat a combination of resistance training and cardio...not just for diving but for overall quality of life fitness. I would also add that you should not forget to incorporate flexibility training...and PLEASE train your HAMSTRINGS...probably one of the most neglected muscles in the body (aside from core)and amazingly important in diving.
For the non gym rats...try surfing...preferably with a longboard (OK..personal preference there). It is an amazing workout that will build strength, endurance, and proprioception (simply put..coordination and a sense of balance) plus the Zen-like joy of catching a nice ride! Same goes for paddleboards (similar to what the lifeguards use)...and...do you often see overwieght surfers?
Final note...watch your diet. It is SO easy to consume a ridiculous amount of crap in the diet..and don't get me started on diets...ouch!

MosheDyan once bubbled...
Final note...watch your diet. It is SO easy to consume a ridiculous amount of crap in the diet..and don't get me started on diets...ouch!

I know what you are saying about diet - I was kind of eating and drinking whatever over the summer while working out and couldnt figure out why I wasnt losing weight :wacko: - DUH!!! (well I was getting stronger, so I'm in a better place in that respect!) - anyway, I started counting calories and keeping a log of what I eat along with my workout log and I've lost 1.5lbs in a week -

I'm going to have to try the surfing thing - being that I live 2 miles from the beach it may be something for me to do!

NJDiveGirl once bubbled...

Thats my biggest problem - I really need a gym buddy!!!

The workout sounds great, it seems like something I might like!

I did a quickie internet search. It seems they only call it Sisters in Canada (actually Sisters Pace Fitness) but the same thing is available in the US. It's called just Pace Fitness. Try a search on that if interested or pace group exercise or pace fitness for women (Hopefully I didn't mess up the linky thing.)

I agree about watching what you eat. My suggestion would be to try to reduce your carb intake in the latter half of the day. Start with adjusting dinner a bit (no rice, potatoes or pasta) but keep your other meals the same (not more carbs!!). I find I sleep better when I don't have anything sugary after 5pm plus I eat my big meal at lunchtime now.
Just my two cents.

Diverlady

plus I eat my big meal at lunchtime now.
Just my two cents.

Diverlady

We were just talking about that! My grandmother is in an assisted living facility and they have their main meal in the middle of the day. Much healthier - Being by the time I get home from work/gym and everything - its probably easier for me to have something lite for dinner anyway!

Thanks for the links - I'll have to check that out!

I actually eat all day long! My boss says I "graze all day" but that's supposed to be better anyway. I hate that full-to-overstuffed feeling. Mostly small stuff but I have a larger meal as a late lunch - usually around 2-3pm so after the gym at 7:30pm-8:30pm I only have a salad with cheese or meat chunks or something small with protein (like peanut butter on toast etc). For lunch I usually take pasta with meatsauce (soy actually since I don't do beef) or frozen veggies with a chicken breast or porkchop (precooked) - something like that. (I do have some carbs in the evening but then, I'm not trying to lose weight.)

It may not work for everyone, but it does for me.

Diverlady

I actually eat all day long!

You may want to do some reseach on that. I have heard people claim that doing that for long periods of time can contribute to diabetes. The claim I heard was that you keep cranking out insulin (sp?) because you are constantly eating and it eventually burns out your gland.

Could just be marketing hype, but I heard this from somebody that has diabetes and said that is what the doctor told her. She was not overweight and never had been.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.

ZenSquirrel once bubbled...

You may want to do some reseach on that. I have heard people claim that doing that for long periods of time can contribute to diabetes. The claim I heard was that you keep cranking out insulin (sp?) because you are constantly eating and it eventually burns out your gland.

Could just be marketing hype, but I heard this from somebody that has diabetes and said that is what the doctor told her. She was not overweight and never had been.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.

Well, I guess that would depend on what foods are being consumed and what type of diabetes the person has. I'm assuming type 1 if it "burns out your gland" which would require insulin injections as opposed the type 2 which involves the body being unable to properly use the insulin it does produce.

Eating more frequent, smaller meals helps keep a steadier blood glucose level avoiding severe sugar highs and lows which is supposed to be healthier and, I believe, recommended for those with type 2 diabetes. I would think it would be better for the body to have to create small amounts of insulin regularly rather than a large amount 3 times/day.

If the person you were referring to was constantly eating foods that are high in sugar (those with a high glycemic index), the body would have to create plenty of insulin to counteract it. I think there are a lot of variables that we don't know in the case(family history, age...) you referred to, to be able to present an argument either way.

I have heard that if a lot of sugar was ingested throughout childhood and early adulthood, the chances of developing diabetes when older are increased. However, I don't have any resources to back up that claim.

I'm not a doctor or medical professional either.

Diverlady

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom