Fitness for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

I also swam in St. Louis in the same heat with Steve Crocker. The 3rd fastest swimming in the world back in the late 80's. He blew us away but it was to cool.

I recently had the privilage of having my tail kicked by Josh Davis in the 100m freestyle. Given the fact that he was not even going to try and I was going to go all out, I thought that I may be even with him for the first 14m or so. Nope, that dude comes off the blocks FAST. I guess that is what it takes to win Olympic gold.

I also know what you mean about getting back into a wet suit. :(

Here's a book that many have recommended, and I have read good reviews from. Personally I have never read the book, but Hines has a solid reputation in the coaching profession.

you can also PM me if you have further questions about swimming

ZenSquirrel once bubbled...

I recently had the privilage of having my tail kicked by Josh Davis in the 100m freestyle. Given the fact that he was not even going to try and I was going to go all out, I thought that I may be even with him for the first 14m or so. Nope, that dude comes off the blocks FAST. I guess that is what it takes to win Olympic gold.

I also know what you mean about getting back into a wet suit. :(
I have never seen anyone...and I mean anyone (Popov, Biondi, Jager, et al) get off the blocks faster than Crocker...to this day it is still mind boggling

NJ Dive Gal,

I've found a combination of different types of exercise keeps me from getting bored and thus continue exercising. Things I've found I like / work:

Water aerobics - with an intense instructor, not one with a bunch of senior women.

Weight training - ask a personal trainer to help you set up a plan. Show them the moves you would have to do while wearing gear / exiting the water.

Yoga - oh yes!

Some type of cardio at the gym - treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc.

Just have fun.

Paula

As the former Director of Finswimming for the Underwater Society of America, I'm continually amused that divers in the United States do not know about the World Underwater Federation, and the sports associated with diving. These are sanctioned sports, with world-wide competitions. CMAS, or the World Underwater Federation, sanctions these sports. But in the USA, divers have not been interested. Competitive swimmers are beginning to learn about monofins, but not divers. If you want to learn more, here's some links:

What is Fin Swimming?
USA Fin Swimming
Sea Games 22--Vietnam
World Cup in Finswimming

I use longer fins, like those used for competitive freediving, for fin swimming in rivers. It builds endurance in the water, water ability, breathing techniques through a snorkel, and it is much less boring than lap swimming. Using a monofin in a pool is also fun, and you can practive underwater swims (not for distance, but for time in one or two-length swims (which is not hazardous if you learn the techniques, and do not hyperventilate; it's breath-hold underwater swimming for distance that's the killer, literally). Typical events in competition are 50 meter apnea (breath-hold), 100m, 200m, 400m, and 800m underwater swimming with a miniture scuba tank held in front of the finswimmer; and 100m, 200m, 400m and 800m surface snorkel swims. World records are extremely fast (under 15 seconds for the 50m apnea event).

We don't have to swim competition to enjoy finswimming as an exercise. He has great benifits, and increases dive fitness better than any other fitness activity. It is non-weight bearing, and so can be done at extended ages (I'm 57). It also does a great deal to strengthen the thigh muscles.

CMAS also sanctions competition in underwater hockey, underwater orientation, and spearfishing.

I do some light jobbing, hiking, walking and a lot of bicycling for my personal fitness.

SeaRat

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Steve is probably one of the nicest guys I got to coach on the same deck with. Currently he's out at a place in St. Louis designing and building competitve/recreational facilities. He coached for WKU up until this past season. At Wright State I have assisted for about 4 years now...all voluntary...and Since Steve was a chemical engineer, he and I got to spend some time talking aboutt he physics behind the latest and greatest in training and evolutions in the sport (one particular is the butterfly flip turn some guys do now). Super cool guy, and super smart too.

Steve who?

My best friend swam for WKU in the early 90's. Steve wasn't coaching then.

You ever heard of Joel Cyganiwicz. He coached Nancy Hogshead, Joan Pennington, Tracy Caulkins..All gold medalist out of Nashville, TN.

Coach Cy was my coach down in Elizabethtown, Ky. He got a few of us to the Olympic Trials but not me and nobody made it from E-town to the big one. We were state champs for 3 yrs. and we were also the last team to beat St. X. Cy is coaching outside DC now. He was a coach on the last Pan American Games. He's also in the top .5% of swim coaches in America.

Anyone that has coached in America has heard of this guy. He kicked our butts but there were nice rewards for it. Like scholorships about anywhere we wanted.

The answer is simple:
1)Weight training 3-4/week: I know some people are going to hate this answer.
2)Cardio: 3-4/week: I know some people are going to hate this answer.
3) Eat healthy most of the time: I know MOST people are going to hate this answer.
You see, people like to hear about "magic wands" when it comes to living a healthy life and/or having a healthy body. No such thing!!!. People love to hear (and of course... buy) about this or that magic pill that is going to make you lose a 1000 lbs in a week!!!! Once they don't achieve their fantasy they blame it on the product.
Do you know what's the difference between fantasy and imagination? The one who fantasizes does nothing to get there.
Most ( I repeat, most) people that are out of shape today could be in EXCELLENT shape in 15 months. But those 15 months are of hard work. No buts and/or ifs.
This triad (weight training, cardio and a balanced diet) does apply not only to scuba but to any sport, actually for life in general. And that's just concerning the physical aspect. I'm not even goin to begin w/ our spiritual part!

lragsac once bubbled...

Thanks for making a very interesting discussion. Perhaps I should clarify my last comment. I'm not suggesting that NJDiveGirl do weight training for the purpose of aesthetic hypertrophy. I can totally picture the experience of the bodybuilder who didn't do any cardio sinking like a rock in the pool. At any rate, so much of swimming (and running and biking, for that matter) has to do with proper, efficient technique, in addition to having good cardiovascular fitness. That's the reason I suggested a more "functional" multi-joint weight-bearing exercise like a squat or a lunge in her case where she mentioned wanting to be able to confidently get back on a rocking boat with a heavy steel tank on her back. She might want to integrate that with her yoga practice and some sort of cardio workout like swimming. That will help her arrive at the best possible overall functional fitness. Yoga hones isometric and core strength and balance. But you're right, it won't do a whole lot for your coordination. I'm sure martial arts would be a wonderful option as well.

I agree with that, I do Judo, it keeps me in great shape for diving as it works the whole body. I also swim as often as possible, I have never found any exercise on land that really prepares you for useing fins.

I think the bodybuilder story is funny, but partly because of the interpretation. The first day I tried lap swimming, I barely made it 25 yards and I looked like I was a drowning victim on the move. That said, I was also running 40+ miles per week and in excellent cardiovascular health. The guy in the lane next to me was 80-some years old and swam like a swan, but he could barely lift himself out of the water when he was done. It turned out that he was on the UK Olympic swim team when he was younger and had killer technique. The moral of the story: when you have great technique, swimming can be effortless. When you have lousy technique, no amount of cardiovascular fitness or strength will get the job done.

I think swimming should be a fundamental skill all divers should have for reasons of safety and practicality. Also, as mentioned, it really does a lot to keep you comfortable in the water, and this translates to lower SAC and reduced task loading on even the easiest of dives. Oh, and it's also a great cardiovascular workout once you get the technique down. US Masters Swimming is the way to go, as it keeps you on a schedule, gives you workout partners and a coach, and goes a long way towards reducing the lap lane trance.

Developing muscular strength is also important, and the best way to do this is by moving the muscles through their ranges of motion under load. I like the suggestions of activities like the martial arts and yoga, but I wouldn't skip the weights no matter what other types of exercise I did (I was a GoJu instructor for years and my wife is learning to be a yoga instructor). You can't beat it for targeting problem areas and developing muscular balance around your joints. You can also recreate almost any movement to develop functionally specific strength, like getting off a bench while wearing doubles (dumbbell bench squats) or climing a boat ladder (step ups).

I post a complete exercise schedule each week at http://www.divefitness.com/html/workouts.html . Check it out and see if any of the schedules fit your goals and lifestyle.

Cameron

CameronMartz once bubbled...
The first day I tried lap swimming, I barely made it 25 yards and I looked like I was a drowning victim on the move. ... The guy in the lane next to me was 80-some years old and swam like a swan, but he could barely lift himself out of the water when he was done. ... The moral of the story: when you have great technique, swimming can be effortless. When you have lousy technique, no amount of cardiovascular fitness or strength will get the job done.

Oh, how I completely hear you there! I'm no slouch as far as fitness goes, myself, but I know what you mean about the "drowning victim on the move"!! Until I had a scuba buddy see me in the pool, I had NO IDEA I was another of those "drowning victims" - trim right out the window, timing completely off, etc. Seems no one had ever shown me how to swim "properly" (ie. proper technique). No wonder I was exhausted after a few laps! With a little one-on-one coaching I'm starting to "get it" and before too long I may indeed be able to swim those effortless laps I see others doing............ even if I still can't actually float.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom