FL for a weekend or long weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree with the above recommendations for Key Largo and Rainbow Reef. That would be a great option!

Another alternative very much worth considering for newer divers is Ft. Lauderdale and Sea Experience. You could fly into Ft. Lauderdale, rent a car and the dive shop/boat and nearby hotels are a very short drive north. Under 15 minutes from the airport. Ft. Lauderdale offers shallow wreck and reef options that are great for new divers. Sea Experience has a dive package arrangement with the onsite Bahia Mar Doubletree. This location is literally right across the street from Ft. Lauderdale beach and all of the restaurants and night life of Ft. Lauderdale is very close.

Here are a few links.

The only issue I have with diving off SE Florida is that the weather is variable enough that the weekend I go there could be the weekend that’s not divable. Key Largo is a bit better in that respect.

The only issue I have with diving off SE Florida is that the weather is variable enough that the weekend I go there could be the weekend that’s not divable. Key Largo is a bit better in that respect.

To a point, but Key Largo can also get blown out. Hech, pretty much any location anywhere can get blown out! The important thing for Southeast FL and this also applies to Key Largo to a slightly lesser degree is the time of year. Later Apr/May we are starting to get into our summer pattern. In the summer, unless there is a tropical system of some sort, you shouldn't get blown out, or it is at least quite rare. The winter months (Nov-Mar) we have onshore winds that cause roughly 40-50% of days to get blown out.

@Divin'Papaw that was one we were looking at also!

If you are looking at possibly coming in April, don't come as early as this weekend. We are currently getting a late winter "blow" with strong onshore winds through Wed-Thu. Visibility is currently trash. It will require a week or so to clear. 4/22-23 or later should be OK. That is of course assuming we don't get another strong cold front. By this time of year the cold fronts typically lose their punch by the time they reach us, if they reach us at all. This current one though is blowing something fierce out of the east. 40-50 mph onshore winds currently in Southeast FL.

I know a dive shop in our area that routinely flies to Florida (Key Largo) during the winter for dive trips. The trip takes them 4 days, giving them 2 full days of diving, 4 dives each. They have 1 day of travel at each end of the trip. Don't forget you shouldn't be flying home at the end of a multiple dive day.

Well the current plans for a long weekend trip are now going to the Georgia aquarium and diving on a Monday, flying home Tuesday morning. We’re taking all the things we looked at now, and pushing them back to perhaps a fall trip.

Well the current plans for a long weekend trip are now going to the Georgia aquarium and diving on a Monday, flying home Tuesday morning. We’re taking all the things we looked at now, and pushing them back to perhaps a fall trip.
Are you diving at the aquarium? Also, I'll mention that Atlanta is only about 5 hours from the Florida panhandle -- some nearshore dives from Panama City Beach could be fun. Just go knowing that it won't be Keys or Caribbean diving, but still fun and a decent amount of critters to see (including Goliath Grouper sometimes).

Are you diving at the aquarium? Also, I'll mention that Atlanta is only about 5 hours from the Florida panhandle -- some nearshore dives from Panama City Beach could be fun. Just go knowing that it won't be Keys or Caribbean diving, but still fun and a decent amount of critters to see (including Goliath Grouper sometimes).
5 hours of driving on some pretty boring stretches of highway…

5 hours of driving on some pretty boring stretches of highway…
No doubt boring, but pretty easy driving -- saves over 3 hours each way over SE Florida (which definitely has better diving). Not all of us can make it to SE Florida all the time. :)

Back
Top Bottom