Question Out of state, looking for AOW class in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious as to why it has to be a PADI course? Once you get beyond open water, it should be about the instructor and what they bring to the table. An instructor who also teaches tech classes is likely to give a more comprehensive skills and education based course. As opposed to someone who just ticks the boxes and covers the minimum standards.
There are a number of recreational instructors I wouldn't get in the pool with.
A tech instructor is more likely to cover new skills and knowledge rather than spend much of the class just giving a taste of "advanced dives" and allow her to actually earn the card instead of just buying it.
An aow cert is not only worthless, but can be dangerous if it gives her access to sites she has no business being on without new skills and knowledge.
A number of ops won't care how little she knows. They'll put her on those dives simply because of the aow card.
It's a get out of jail free for them if she gets hurt.
The main reason for her to do PADI is to try and keep things similar between both of us. She’s a very cautious diver and won’t dive without someone she knows/trusts as a buddy.

Also I'm not sure if she has her own gear yet, or if she's even in the market, BUT:

If she buys a BCD, regulator & computer from me --- I'll give her the PADI AOW course & Nitrox course for free.
Thanks for the offer, but she’s already kitted out :)

Check out underseas sports in Lauderdale. I got certificated PADI OW in a couple of years ago and I did my AA(the SSI AOW equivalence) with them this summer and the intructors are great and transfering from one agency to another is effortless.
I'll second Underseas Sports, Matt and Hugh are awesome. Shop has been in continual operation since 1974, Matt is the 3rd owner since the 90's. You can trust them. Only shop I deal with.

Do not go to Rainbow Reef. They are literally criminals
Criminals? How so?

I worked there as a course director and captain for several years. I witnessed no criminal activity.

Criminals? How so?

I worked there as a course director and captain for several years. I witnessed no criminal activity.

Took a deposit and refused to return it after class was paid for, that's larceny.

Took a deposit and refused to return it after class was paid for, that's larceny.
DM me with the details - I can try and fix that for you.

I did a private rescue course with Ren out of Starfish Scuba in Boynton Beach last year. He also did my son's OW 2 years ago. If he's still there, I highly recommend him. The cost for a private course was not much more than a scheduled class.

The reefs off Boynton (mostly off Briney Breezes) are very nice. They run from 45-65' and have a lot of fish. It's mostly drift diving which I love.

Yes, please explain why not to go there?

If getting certified is all she wants - RR is fine. If she wants to actually learn stuff while getting her certification - RR is not fine... Same goes about SFDH in Pompano Beach.

I like Key Dives in Islamorada, did my Rescue with them a while back. Great attitude.

While it may seem so, I do not have a horse in this race. I am a former employee of Rainbow Reef and watched instruction ongoing while working as a captain on the boats for several years.

Part of my job as captain and PADI course director was to monitor instruction and report problems to the owner and GM. Did I ever see problems? Sure I did, but I will guess that 95%+ of the time I saw no standards violations and instruction happened IAW PADI standards.

My suggestion is that you go to Trip Advisor and read the reviews people have made about their instruction/classes.

There seems to be some axes to grind here.

There seems to be some axes to grind here.

Not on my end. It's not about that at all. It's about the lack of proper attitude on more than one occasion that I've personally witnessed.

I am well aware of PADI standards and many of us will agree to disagree about them being lacking in more ways than one. What I'm trying to stress is how important (imho) first few dives are and how many of them 20-smth yr old instructors are simply checking boxes instead of paying attention to diver's (customer's? diver's-to-be?) needs and reactions. And I understand it's business, but some instructors may not be good teachers even after they got them required 120 dives or so...

For the record, I don't have a "horse in this race" or stake in any dive op here or anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom