Floaters and sinkers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
BUZZ Wrong answer, but thank you for playing. See multiple posts above. Not everyone 'else' is a floater. Simplistic statements like this can mislead those actively seeking good information.

I would venture a guess that with all the chili and the ribs, almost everyone in Texas is a floater. In the Gulf, that is ... .

IndigoBlue:
I would venture a guess that with all the chili and the ribs, almost everyone in Texas is a floater. In the Gulf, that is ... .

At least your consistent, 0 for 2 on your guesses.

I've seen very lean swimmers floating in a pool with their bodies half out of the water, and know not-so-lean divers (like the ones contributing the above posts, and myself) who are negative.

You can't just say that extra-lean people sink and all others float period.

I've wondered for quite some time how much of a factor bone density plays in this, but I've never found any studies or tests to prove or disprove the idea. Fat's specific gravity is around 800, muscle is 1080 or so, and bone is around 1900 so there is a contribution. But bone only accounts for something like 12-15% of total body mass IIRC. Many factors can alter a person's bone density, including diet, race, exercise and size. Anyone ever seen a study on this in regards to buoyancy?

Sadly, it is likely true that more people these days are floaters than there were in the past as excess body fat is on the rise and average bone density is quite likely falling.

My buddy is naturally bouyant. Period.

During the initial quals for OW class, I had to tread water like mad to keep my mouth above the surface for the ten minutes. Dennis simply laid back at the surface and floated. Instructors were taking bets on whether he would fall asleep.

He weighs more than I do, but he is also 4 inches taller than I am. I am not a "rock" but I do a lot of activities, and my legs are strong. He does very little exercise so he probably has a lot higher body fat percentage.

The fact remains that he is a "floater". I envied his ease of passing the test, but I don't envy the extra weight he has to carry on every dive.

Wristshot

PS: 3dent, I am not a big fan of veggies either. I love the quote about veggies "this isn't food, this is what food eats!".

My experience.....

I'm not fat and never have been, so you can rule out that factor. (5'5", 120-25 pounds for years.)

I'm very comfortable in the water, and have been all my life, so rule out the nervous/stressed factor.

I float. I can lie on my back in fresh water indefinitely, breathing in and out, and I don't sink. When snorkeling, I can hover over an object as long as I like (no finning), without sinking.

I've often wondered why I seem to be so buoyant; I've been that way since I was a little kid. I have a medium frame, as far as bone size; mabye I do have light bones. I'd be interested in any studies along those lines.

I'd say that so far, most (with some very strong dissenters) agree that some people are more inherently buoyant. And, I'd add, it's not just fat folks.

love2godeep:
(with some very strong dissenters)
Dissentry (i know it is spelt wrongly) is a big problem with some people, not sure if it helps you float or sink though :wink:

I think i could float on my back indefinately too, however i find after a while in FL that i get a sunburnt face :wink:

love2godeep:
My experience.....

I'm not fat and never have been, so you can rule out that factor. (5'5", 120-25 pounds for years.)

I'm very comfortable in the water, and have been all my life, so rule out the nervous/stressed factor.

I float. I can lie on my back in fresh water indefinitely, breathing in and out, and I don't sink. When snorkeling, I can hover over an object as long as I like (no finning), without sinking.

I've often wondered why I seem to be so buoyant; I've been that way since I was a little kid. I have a medium frame, as far as bone size; mabye I do have light bones. I'd be interested in any studies along those lines.

I'd say that so far, most (with some very strong dissenters) agree that some people are more inherently buoyant. And, I'd add, it's not just fat folks.

I float like a cork. When swimming in a pool I just lie on my back, arms out at my sides and just float for hours (not in full sun). I'm 5'9" 180 lbs (medium build). I have swam and snorkeled all my life, so I too am comfortable in the water.
During my OW pool instruction, they estimated the weight I would need and they were way off, I think I added 10 more lbs to be able to stay on the bottom. When I did my OW cert dives in Cancun, using a 3 mil full suit I started with 16 lbs. At the bottom (40 ft) I kept floating up. The dive master had me hold onto a plant and added 5 more lbs. (integral BCD weight system) All seemed Ok. The next day I switched to a 3 mil shorty and 18 lbs, not enough. I did my next dive with 22 pounds.
I was very comfortable and in control of my bouyancy.
So I hope as I gain experiencing diving I can cut down on the weight I need, it's tough getting back in the boat with all that weight.

Hmm.. interesting comments thus far. Those who dive with me say I'm built like a fire plug. I'm kinda still carrying the baby I am having with my wife.... 2 years ago :wink: However, I'm an inherent sinker. For an average dive at Venice Beach FL I dive with 8lb. In fresh water I can actually take that down to 6#. Ft Lauderdale it ups to 10#. Different water and conditions require different weight. In a swimsuit on the water surface, I have no problem maintaining a float on my back or in the dead-mans face down position. I also have no problem with a bounce to 40-50' free diving.

Some statistics for consideration: For mass to fat ratio, I'm a 5'5" male with a very healthy 25.6% body fat ratio. Most of my dives are done without neoprene other than booties (unless I'm wearing my full foot fins) and goves, just a swim suit, and thus far its been an aluminum tank for diving. Average dive times range in the 60m plus range.

I dive fresh water with a pony bottle 4 LB warm water. Red Sea 6 lb. Lossiemouth, Moray Firth membrane dry suit 28 lb. The only pointer i have at the end of the dive do a bouyancy check with 50 bar you hold 6m for 3 mins if you can do this you are sorted
ps at the bouyancy check you BCD should be empty if you have to add air you are over weighted

Basic physics.
If your body weighs more than the water it displaces...you sink. If it ways less...you float. Does bone density have anything to do with it? If it affects your weight or displacement then yes it plays a factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom