flooded computer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim311

Registered
Reaction score
Ok i have an oceanic vt3 computer and somehow the plastic battery cover cracked slightly, i didn't notice this till after i dove and found the computer dimming and that the battery compartment was partially flooded, i cleaned it out got a new cover and let it dry out. The computer worksjust fine and i was able to use it on a couple more dives, this all happened while i was a dive trip. So now i'm wondering if i should bring it to be serviced? will they do anything special to it? thanks

The best thing that can happen is that you get it shipped back to Oceanic, they check it out, bless it, and send it back to you with a new and noncracked battery cover.
The worse thing that can happen is that you do not replace the battery cover, keep diving with it, it floods again more seriously and it dies while you are submerged and you are compelled to abort your dive perhaps way early.
Of couse there is always the consideration that the sucker could suffer some kind of fatal electronic error and you get bad data on your time below, you stay too long, and when you come up a DM and a boatful of people have a very bad rest of the day.
Just my two pennies that are mostly made of zinc.
Chug

Ok i have an oceanic vt3 computer and somehow the plastic battery cover cracked slightly, i didn't notice this till after i dove and found the computer dimming and that the battery compartment was partially flooded, i cleaned it out got a new cover and let it dry out. The computer worksjust fine and i was able to use it on a couple more dives, this all happened while i was a dive trip. So now i'm wondering if i should bring it to be serviced? will they do anything special to it? thanks

The computer dimmed I suppose just because of the water in the battery compartment. If water had gotten into the electronics the computer would have fried. Many computers have independently sealed battery compartments.

Since you have already cleaned out the compartment and replaced the cracked cover with a new one and have a couple of dives on it I think you're fine. I'd use a new battery however.

Since you have already cleaned out the compartment and replaced the cracked cover with a new one and have a couple of dives on it I think you're fine. I'd use a new battery however.
Yes this is pretty much what i thought. I did replace the battery. I might just take it in anyways to be on the safe side, just was kind of curious if they'd do anything other than clean it, which i already did, and verify its working, which i did also?

Yes this is pretty much what i thought. I did replace the battery. I might just take it in anyways to be on the safe side, just was kind of curious if they'd do anything other than clean it, which i already did, and verify its working, which i did also?

They'll probably put in in a pressure pot and test that it works which you already did as well by diving it!

My Aeris Elite T3 (aka Oceanic VT3) just had the battery changed by an authorized shop and I guess the tech didn't secure the battery compartment cover correctly and it flooded. It went dim during the dive and I was like, ***, over? Then it died as I finished my safety stop and surfaced. I kind of figured that the battery compartment got flooded since that it worked just fine the week before. So, I whipped out my spare set of SPG, screwed it in, broke out the tables and kept on trucking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom