Flying after diving question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I can see the ascent to altitude table posted here only applies to NOAA's dive tables. NOAA's dive table repetitive dive groups do not appear to correspond to either Naui or Padi tables. Does anyone know if there is a chart that applies to Naui tables?

NAUI tables are the same as U.S. Navy and NOAA (they're the same) but NAUI just cut back one step.

NAUI tables are the same as U.S. Navy and NOAA (they're the same) but NAUI just cut back one step.

Yes you are correct, I don't know what chart I was looking at before but they are the same. :bonk:

As previously mentioned, here's the NOAA Ascent to Altitude tables. Make sure you read the fine print - these are not the ending repetitive group, but the highest repetitive group for the previous 24 hours.

To generate this repetitive group you'll need:

NOAA Dive Tables
NOAA Residual Nitrogen Tables

You will probably find that to be able to perform your flight, you'll need a nice rich nitrox mix to reduce your EAD.

For further reading on the matter, you'll want to refer to the DAN Flying After Diving Workshop, possibly the current "best work" for recreational divers, and also guranteed to put you to sleep.

Hope this helps. As a point of reference, we quite often dive at sea level, then drive over Donner Summit (7200'). We've done this for over 20 years without a niggle.

All the best, James

As previously mentioned, here's the NOAA Ascent to Altitude tables. Make sure you read the fine print - these are not the ending repetitive group, but the highest repetitive group for the previous 24 hours.

To generate this repetitive group you'll need:

NOAA Dive Tables
NOAA Residual Nitrogen Tables

You will probably find that to be able to perform your flight, you'll need a nice rich nitrox mix to reduce your EAD.

For further reading on the matter, you'll want to refer to the DAN Flying After Diving Workshop, possibly the current "best work" for recreational divers, and also guranteed to put you to sleep.

Hope this helps. As a point of reference, we quite often dive at sea level, then drive over Donner Summit (7200'). We've done this for over 20 years without a niggle.

All the best, James
A few notes:

Here are the NOAA tables they are identical to the Navy tables, just reformatted into the circular form that NAUI originated for convenience.

Oxygen, post dive, is a great idea. If your plane is so equipped, I'd get a little extra margin by going on O2 as early as possible.

If you are diving a computer and need to get to a repetitive dive group, read: PDF Page 197 (actual page 189) Emmerman, M. "DIVE COMPUTER LOG for the EDGE or SKINNY DIPPER"

The technique that Mike outlines there should (despite his warnings, written way back when) work on the conservative side to get you a end of dive repetitive dive group. Since that is an end of dive group and not the highest group of the last 24 hours, I'd use the "Group C" to fly rule (which, since it is an 8,000 foot ascent rule, is also conservative) and suck up any O2 I could get my hands on.

But don't go to sleep too soon! Be sure to read all the way to the end, where you will learn that these restrictions are not necessary for flying at altitudes below 2,000 feet! Note that many argue that the actual cutoff should be 2,300 feet (or 700 meters to round it off).

By the way, this is confusing to many people. I wrote to DAN about this quite some time ago, and I got the same 2,000 feet response you see in this study. On the other hand, when talking in person to a DAN representative last year, I got a 1,000 feet response. This person was speaking from memory, though.

Yes, there is a table that clearly shows minimum times to ascend to particular altitudes depending on your repetitive dive group. No, I'm not going to tell you where to find it. It's in the public domain, though.
They used to teach this stuff in altitude diving classes.

Interesting thread...

My computer (Elite T3) can be set for altitude diving in 2,000ft increments. I wonder if the OP could fix this problem by setting his DC for a dive at 2,000ft and diving well within the parameters the computer sets for him at that altitude?

Just a guess....

Back
Top Bottom