FMM card and Visitax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversmith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are heading to Coz on June 1st and I see info about the FMM card no longer being needed. When I use the link in the very helpful "traveling to Cozumel" post, I see a link on the gov webpage about paying a "Visitax" online if you are arriving in Cancun or Coz. Is this true or some scam? Thanks for any insight!

No FMM card and I've never heard of this Visitax. I last visited Coz 6 months ago
I wouldn't worry about it, and definitely wouldn't pay it online

We are heading to Coz on June 1st and I see info about the FMM card no longer being needed. When I use the link in the very helpful "traveling to Cozumel" post, I see a link on the gov webpage about paying a "Visitax" online if you are arriving in Cancun or Coz. Is this true or some scam? Thanks for any insight!
It was true for us last month that the only form to fill out was the Customs one. I never heard of a "Visitax" and I have never been asked to pay anything like it.

It was true for us last month that the only form to fill out was the Customs one. I never heard of a "Visitax" and I have never been asked to pay anything like it.
Well, that seems like good news. Strange that there is a link on the Mex gov website that takes you to a "Visitax" page!

I remember hearing (likely on this board) a year or two ago that they had introduced a visitor tax , but it has never come up in the many times I have been through immigration since (including last week ).

I think it's a real tax that's never been enforced as odd as that seems. See VISITAX

When we were there in October, they had the QR code signage near the baggage claim. We just got back a couple of weeks ago. Since the remodel of the customs section, all the signage was removed (or we just didn’t notice it). We paid it both trips, but no one has ever asked for proof of payment.

Years ago there was an exit tax we paid at the airport when we left, but that stopped a long time ago. Maybe it's included in the air fare?

The best fare I can get from Lubbock to Cozumel right now for late August is $414.13 RT. $236 of that goes to the airline, the rest is taxes & fees...
Mexico Tourism Tax Derecho No Inmigrante (UK)$37.99​
US International Departure Tax (US)$42.20​
United States Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY)$11.20​
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)$13.50​
Mexico Airport Departure Tax Tua International (XD)$46.05​
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)$3.83​
United States Customs User Fee (YC)$6.52​
Mexico Immigration Fee Dsm (S1)$9.84​
United States Immigration User Fee (XY)$7.00​

Before departure taxes were included in tickets, there were always broke kids with paid tickets begging money to leave.

The best fare I can get from Lubbock to Cozumel right now for late August is $414.13 RT. $236 of that goes to the airline, the rest is taxes & fees...
Mexico Tourism Tax Derecho No Inmigrante (UK)$37.99​
US International Departure Tax (US)$42.20​
United States Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY)$11.20​
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)$13.50​
Mexico Airport Departure Tax Tua International (XD)$46.05​
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)$3.83​
United States Customs User Fee (YC)$6.52​
Mexico Immigration Fee Dsm (S1)$9.84​
United States Immigration User Fee (XY)$7.00​

Before departure taxes were included in tickets, there were always broke kids with paid tickets begging money to leave.
That's odd. The total taxes there are $178. I'm flying to Coz next week, booked my ticket just a few months ago. The total taxes were $119. Hard to imagine what the difference could be.

Also interesting to note that of the $178, it's close to evenly split: $84 goes to the US, and $94 goes to Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom