For those considering the PADI Deep Diver speciality...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel that there is a disconnect between the way PADI looks at people (dumb) and the reality of the people attending the courses. I guess that's the marketing side of things.

I do not think that PADI looks at people as dumb (and I am not a PADI fan) but rather they look at how best to develop a curriculum that will enable almost everybody to get certified with their agency with as little problem as possible. I do not think it is in PADI's business plan to turn away X number of divers because they could not understand the manual :D.

I have often heard There is no such thing as a bad student!
See you topside! John

I disagree but I do believe that most bad students simply have not found the instructor that teaches the way they learn. I do believe that bad students exist though.

We crossed laughable a while ago IMO......just like when in the OW manual, the question came up "How do you ensure you get the proper equipment for your scuba diving needs?" and the answer is to visit any of the PADI approved equipment sellers (or something along those lines).

Laughable was a while ago :wink:

To be fair, the "dumbing down" of instruction isn't limited to PADI specifically, or the mass-diving instruction agencies in general. It's widely permeated our entire culture, from our public schools right through many higher education institutions. Many traditional colleges and universities report having to run freshmen through what amounts to remedial English and Math courses, because too many high school graduates today are functionally illiterate and mathematically clueless. The schools couldn't fail them, though, because it would look bad on the metrics and might hurt the child's self-esteem.

I would not care to guess just how many management and engineering types we have here at work that have degrees, but you could never tell by the virtue of their applied knowledge. Some institutions have adopted the policy of, "if you pay your tuition and show up for class on a regular basis, you pass."

I've often asked people how they would like their surgeon to have learned medicine the University of Phoenix Management Program way, which is "learning by committee." You're on a team, and if one person on the team does the work, the whole team gets the grade.

Just imagine how bad dive safety statistics would be if PADI or any other agency adopted that model. "If one person in your OW class does the work and makes the dives, you're all certified."

Our choices here in Tucson are PADI through one shop, or SDI through the other, and from what I've seen, there isn't much difference between PADI and SDI as far as depth of curriculum. We're going through PADI, but I'm definitely looking for far more information from other sources than just the appetizer the PADI books offer.

I have often heard There is no such thing as a bad student!
See you topside! John

Oh yes there is ... I have occasionally run into someone who thought they could pay for my class, show up, not put any effort into it, and collect the C-card when it was over.

Most times, they do fine once we reset expectations. On two occasions I gave them their money back and suggested I wasn't the instructor for them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

wait, wait, wait,
the padi deep video (that is a part of the manual) is good and usefull;
the book... maybe says in 100 pages what could be said in 20, bytheway...

you can belive in specialities or not,
BUT deep and nitrox are the essential ones.
I always recommend them.
off course if you are a DM are not so usefull, 'cose you just know everything,
but for advanced or rescue...

IMHO,
peace,
m.

ANd to be fair there are PADI instructors out there who have the same attitude as the OP and therefore go beyond the prescribed course and teach a good deep specialty. You just have to look for them.

This is unfortunate. The organization should design a good course to start with so the Instructor shouldn't have to go "above and beyond" just to insure that the student gets what he pays for. The student shouldn't have to hunt for a good Instructor. They all should be good Instructors. I guess gone are the days that an certification agencies name meant something. Hopefully this will change. :)

To take the other side of the issue, deep diving, within no-stop limits, SHOULD BE just like any other no-stop diving.

As a knee-jerk response to the OP, the ONLY thing about "deep diving" that may actually be different is there is much more likelihood of significant Narcosis and I'm willing to bet there is information about Narcosis in the manual.

Otherwise, what do you need for a dive above 60 feet:

1. Pre-dive
a. No-stop limit planning
b. Gas (air) supply planning
c. Buddy skills and planning
d. Dive site planning
e. Exposure protection planning

2. Dive execution:
a. Buoyancy control throughout the dive
b. Situational/buddy awareness
c. Time, pressure, depth monitoring (identified in addition to general situational awareness)

What else do you need for a dive below 60 feet?

Diving below 60 feet is just diving.

Back
Top Bottom