For those considering the PADI Deep Diver speciality...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some people I've seen who I would not let start AOW until they got more experience, learned to really control their buoyancy, and adjust their attitude to reflect the seriousness of what they were getting themselves into. Many times the AOW card is a very good way to gain access to sites and dives that can kill you a whole lot quicker that your average 40-50 foot warm water low current reef dive. The sooner this is realized the better.

The AOW Deep Dive as PADI teaches it is supposed to qualify one to dive to 100 feet. The deep specialty is intended to go beyond that to 130. At least at the time I took them it was. Unfortunately neither of these has as prerequisites good buoyancy control and trim, very good to excellent buddy skills, a proper attitude towards safety, and obeying the rules of the instructor. To be fair, I know of no agency AT THE PRESENT TIME that requires all of them. I am doing my part to change that. It is however the duty of the conscientious instructor IMO to see that the student does have these. I do insist on it with all of my AOW students.

The skills do not have to be demo quality but they do have to possess the fundamentals. I expect AOW and frankly any student for a class beyond OW to be able to do their own weight checks, perform all basic skills horizontal in mid water, know how to use tables, and have a good attitude towards safety and personal responsibility. I should not have to show them how to set up their gear, decide if they need to add a few extra pounds of lead, or choose the type of exposure suit. I have taken divers on fun dives just to see if they are ready to do an AOW course. A couple weeks ago I had someone come to me for a pool session devoted to proper weighting and trim. We also worked on skills in midwater. He was going on a trip and did not feel he had sufficient training in any of these areas from his previous instructors in OW and AOW class. He will be redoing AOW with me and the course as I teach it. He also wants to do UW Nav with his wife and son with me.

My experience to date with the advanced students I have taught is mixed. I have had some who were naturals in the water and as such I added to the course I already teach to challenge them further. Others were fine with it as I wrote it and were not ready for an increased level of challenges. But in every case they all were dissatisfied with their previous level of training and the lack of content and skills required. That's why they came to me. I have no desire to turn out large numbers of divers. What I do have is the desire to turn out ones I would be ok with my son diving with at whatever level they were at. Without me in the water. I also want to turn out divers who though they may want a DM or Guide in the water they certainly will not need one.

Quote "For those considering the PADI Deep Diver speciality...
The manual can be summarised as follows:
"It's the same, only deeper. Please buy our other specialities as well."
What a rip-off."
Unquote.

I think the PADI Deep Diving Manual covers most of what is needed and most of the elements that have been discussed here by others.

From the PADI Deep Diving Manual:

Buddy Contact - P22
Buoyancy control - P23
Ascents & Descents P24-27
Breathing Techniques P28
Air Supply Control P29
Estimating Air Consumption P30
Air Consumption Calculation P31 Table and Example
How Much Reserve? P32 Rule of Thirds
Safety Stops and Emergency Decompression P34 - 37
Deep Stops P38
Gas Narcosis P44-45

Etc, etc, etc.

An honest, mature, rational criticism of something ought to be supported by facts. Whether the material is presented well enough to suit everybody, and whether all instructors teach it well, is another matter, but to me the OP's criticism of the PADI Deep Diving Manual is simply not supported by the facts.

Last edited:
You will hear alot of divers bash PADI just to get on the train.
As some have said with 5th grade math skills you can do what is needed!
(Bob I applaud your dive plan calc. lesson)
Let's not make it too hard, because it is not!
Some divers want a card or two just for the card, it does not matter which agency.
Some will take the info and restudy the why they are taught the info. Some will not.
Now it is more common place for divers to go deep without proper training. They see the cool factor of the latest equipment and with out the technique get in over thier head. (no pun intended:wink:)
If the course is taught with the proper material you should be able to make any dive safely (within the level).
A diver needs to be honest in self evaluation first, after that it is just diving isn't it!
See you topside! John

Back
Top Bottom