$$ for your DM course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJo once bubbled...
I spoke with our instructor on the phone yesterday and this is what he told me:

- encyclopedia, workbook, manual, slates:
$780.69 + 7% tax - Canadian
(this is after i said no to the video, that would have been $835.45)

- me peeing my pants:
priceless.

Mine cost $199 that included everything and that's at the same shop as scubajo and Aquabella..........but it was a while ago...like back when our dollar was worth more than a US dollar.......Ya I know most of you guys think that's never happened.
Aquabella...You get what you pay for.
Buy a cheap course..........get a cheap course!!
Do at least 100 dives to over 70' before you start. I know PADI is 60 dives no depth requirement but then PADI selling courses...Me I deal with the end product of the course and I have seen some DM's that didn't have a clue....... but they did read the encyclopedia. and they passed the "Course"

Thanks for the advice divedude, your totally right about the $$ and it certainly isn't the main factor when I'm looking for a course. I just thought it was a little extreme.

I do think I know why it is how it is though. My instructor isn't really in need of more DM's right now and was asked to do the course. So he's doing it, but at full pop. Which is understandable. Although...I also understand that I don't feel any need to pay it. I'll be looking at all my options.

I'm also not in a rush. Thanks again,

Aquabella

Divedudes correct here, there is a lot of DM that don't have a clue, sometimes it's not the training or lack of that's the problem but the attitude, Take in mind here that the DM course is your first step into being a leader and supervisor.

Tom R

Price for the DM course locally was US$375 this year, plus the DM manual, encyclopedia, workbook. Airfills during the course were included as well as for the OW dives, mapping exercise, CW sessions.

It was a bargain considering how many hours we (4 DM candidates) spent in classroom, pool and quarry with many of the LDS instructors.

Agree with previous posts that DM class by itself is not an end to all means. It does open eyes to what a good instructor looks like, both in the classroom and in the water. It also is a nicely humbling experience, and has caused me to be more self critical in my own diving.

My $0.02.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom