Freedom Plate and the Hollis Elite 2 Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just about worn myself out with trying to fabricate a custom harness for my freedom plate so I'm looking at the Hollis Elite 2 as an option. Has anyone tried this on their contour?

I haven’t done the Hollis harness but custom harness is easy.

I haven’t done the Hollis harness but custom harness is easy.
I did my own custom harness with some help from my local tailor but I'm always looking for that elusive "perfect solution". I'm kind of jonesing for adjustable shoulder straps.

I should probably just stop with the gear improvements and learn how to dive better.

There are many solutions to each persons real and perceived issues, I don’t know wht they want for the Hollis but here is something that may work as well

I use an H harness made up of an assemblage of bits, in Hawaii now but can send some pics of my set up next week when I get home. No sewing needed and once set up no adjustment needed, not a one piece but simple enough.

Dive Rite has several harnesses made to be used with hard plates. Maybe check those out.

If you're itching to make something put the bolts in the right place so you can get purchase on the bands

61 070.JPG

I've just about worn myself out with trying to fabricate a custom harness for my freedom plate so I'm looking at the Hollis Elite 2 as an option. Has anyone tried this on their contour?
I'm not sure I understand. A simple nylon webbing harness, maybe with a shoulder buckle/release, won't work?

rx7diver

An "H" harness like the Hollis E2 or Dive Rite TransPlate harness should do the trick.

Mine is a franken-harness made from (older) TransPac shoulders and TransPlate lowers with Sea To Summit buckles (I standardized on them so I can swap pieces between plates and since they are field replaceable for SAD purposes)

Works a treat and is quite comfortable.

ETA - I am a sternum strap kinda guy and I find the H style more comfortable and easier to get in and out of on a cramped bench.

An "H" harness like the Hollis E2 or Dive Rite TransPlate harness should do the trick.

Mine is a franken-harness made from (older) TransPak shoulders and TransPlate lowers with Sea To Summit buckles (I standardized on them so I can swap pieces between plates and since they are field replaceable for SAD purposes)

Works a treat and is quite comfortable.

ETA - I am a sternum strap kinda guy and I find the H style more comfortable and easier to get in and out of on a cramped bench.

I have the Transplate on my new CCR. Really like it, but I was also used to the Transpac from my SM rig. Sounds like the Transplate might work for the OP n

I have the Transplate on my new CCR. Really like it, but I was also used to the Transpac from my SM rig. Sounds like the Transplate might work for the OP n

They pretty much function the same.

The older TransPacs had each sides shoulder webbing and (thin) pad together as a detachable unit and are structured to allow adding/removing D-rings, etc. on the webbing. NESS had piles of them and I bought some to build my harness. The pads are thin, but enough - "just-right" for travel and ok with a skin and AL80 doubles.

The older TransPlate pads are a bit bigger, stiffer & thicker - just fine for my doubles plate with a 7mm or drysuit.

I set up shoulder straps and waist belt sides as 4 individual pieces and move them among my 3 plates as required. They are retained with tri-glides at each corner.

Back
Top Bottom