Freedom Plate and the Hollis Elite 2 Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my own custom harness with some help from my local tailor but I'm always looking for that elusive "perfect solution". I'm kind of jonesing for adjustable shoulder straps.

I should probably just stop with the gear improvements and learn how to dive better.
Found some lovely webbing for a custom harness

BBD86CA6-32FC-4D50-B68A-01824DCE2D8D.jpeg

I think the HOG Deluxe Flex Harness would work for you as well. Mine is on a HOG soft plate, but could have used it on an aluminum or SS plate as well. Very comfortable, and makes donning/doffing the rig a lot easier. My opinion of course.

One thing you need to make sure about using any harness on the Freedom Plate is that the webbing material can be inverted or both sides used.
Here’s why:
The Freedom Plate uses three slots at the top of the plate for the webbing to weave through. The two pieces come out from one slot/point in s V shape and run over your shoulders.
If you are using a webbing that has a printed side such as “H” for instance, one side will be right side out and the other side will be inside out just because of how the webbing sets up through the top slots. The webbing gets folded in half then weaves through the lower bar then both straps go over the center bar to “lock” the webbing in, then out through the top slot and over the shoulders.
So if you are wanting to use a comfort harness, make sure you can take one side apart to flip one side of the outcoming webbing 180 degrees and back into the assembly, or one side will be inside out.
The way the Freedom Plate slots work are the same as an old school backpack.

Chest straps are far less useful on a Freedom plate than a conventional plate. Freedom plate straps radiate from the center (spine) rather than each strap attached at approximately above the scapulas.

When wearing my old Dive Rite Al doubles back plate, I still cross the harness shoulder straps. This is how I began wearing this ca. 1993 shortly after I purchased the back plate new. Very common way to wear these back then. Never felt the need for a chest strap.

My very first harness was the "DR Deluxe" harness, which I purchased at the same time I purchased the back plate. The"Deluxe" was a bit "fussy" for me, as it had big brass rings to which the upper part of the shoulder strap and lower part of the shoulder strap and the chest strap, too, were attached. And, IIRC, it came with other stuff, too, like plastic quick releases that you could add in if you wanted. I almost immediately began modifying it (a friend had a sewing machine that could easily sew nylon webbing), and within a couple of weeks I had replaced it with simple nylon webbing, added a SS weight belt buckle on a shoulder, and ditched the crotch strap.

rx7diver

I did my own custom harness with some help from my local tailor but I'm always looking for that elusive "perfect solution". I'm kind of jonesing for adjustable shoulder straps.

You mean yours don't "adjust" when you pull on the waist ends?

I’ve used both hogarthian and comfort (non-quick release) harnesses on my Freedom and Contour plates. I convinced myself I needed a comfort harness for a multitude of reasons. All unsubstantiated and disputable. However, after hundreds of dives I discovered the basic hogarthian harness definitely works best (for me). Have you tried rigging your plate with a standard hogarthian harness? If so, what were the issues? Are the quick releases essential? There is something to be said for the KISS principal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom