Freezing My Ass Off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better even than trashbags is just put on a set of rain grear. That is what I do. Stop the evaporation our of the water which sucks heat and the wet suit goes back to keeping you warm.

elgoog's post came in while I was typing. warming up between dives is critical.

So for the class I guess I have the option of just being cold, or maybe trying to layer 2 wetsuits, or getting the custom suit. When I posted I thought I was going to go the custom wetsuit route but now I'm not sure. I think I'm going to just try to layer the 2.5 and 7mm suits and tough it out.
I'd still suggest talking to your instructor about this soon. He's got a lot of experience teaching students in the local conditions and probably has dealt with this in the past.

elgoog's post came in while I was typing. warming up between dives is critical.

And warming up between dives is much easier with a drysuit.

Buoyancy control with a drysuit is not an issue if you use your BC for its intended purpose. As long as you don't use the drysuit as a BC you really don't need to spend even more money on a class.

I found the class to be valuable, and in my opinion, the pool practice and instructor time was absolutely necessary. I was taught both options of using the suit or using the BC for buoyancy control.

Had I decided to just jump in the ocean in a new suit without training, I would not have had fun, and I would have been a really crappy buddy.

John,

Every well qualified drysuit diver I've ever had as a team mate endeavors to keep their drysuit volume as near constant as possible, just enough to remove the squeeze, and allow for the mobility required for a valve drill. This no doubt is what BoulderJohn was referring to.

That in practice the volume varies by a few percent, but the density varies pretty much lock step with ambient pressure does nothing to invalidate my point that it's density and not volume that varies in a properly operated drysuit.

I realize you are desperate to try to explain your misuse of the term volume with ever more strained arguments, but the fact remains the "ideal drysuit", which BTW is the exact term I referenced waaaaay back in this discussion, is a constant volume device.

Perhaps you should chat up a physics teacher and see what they have to say on the matter.........

Tobin
Tobin,

To be completely clear, I have immense respect for the product you market and manufacture and I have only a small fraction of your experience. However, if you reexamine the thread, my comments were directed toward B. John for continuing to defend the indefensible. First ignoring the meaning of the word constant and then effect of pressure on a non-rigid vessel under pressure. It is the defense of the absurd that I find bat excrement crazy.

Lets try it this way, if a drysuit had constant volume (as originally stated), there would be no need to vent it on ascent, correct?

Tobin,

To be completely clear, I have immense respect for the product you market and manufacture and I have only a small fraction of your experience. However, if you reexamine the thread, my comments were directed toward B. John for continuing to defend the indefensible. First ignoring the meaning of the word constant and then effect of pressure on a non-rigid vessel under pressure. It is the defense of the absurd that I find bat excrement crazy.

Lets try it this way, if a drysuit had constant volume (as originally stated), there would be no need to vent it on ascent, correct?

John's comments require no defense, volume will never equal density.

A drysuit operated as intended is a constant volume device. How this constant volume is achieved doesn't change that fact.

Tobin

A drysuit operated as intended is a constant volume device. How this constant volume is achieved doesn't change that fact.

Tobin
Sigh. . .

Here for complete clarity is a true constant volume drysuit

0b-exosuit.jpg

I doubt I could get a drysuit and get comfortable with it before my class, which starts June 4.

I can't afford to get a drysuit right now anyway. The cost of the Fundies class and all the gear and stuff required is going to be around $2000 when all is said and done.

So for the class I guess I have the option of just being cold, or maybe trying to layer 2 wetsuits, or getting the custom suit. When I posted I thought I was going to go the custom wetsuit route but now I'm not sure. I think I'm going to just try to layer the 2.5 and 7mm suits and tough it out.
Ask Steve Millington (or the crew over there at Hollywood Divers) if they have a wetsuit heater you can borrow or rent. Or else PM me and I can loan you my UTD Wetsuit Heater.

Tobin,

Tobin
"While understanding the relationship of pressure and volume is both vital and obvious to all divers-it explains the most important rule of scuba diving-fewer understand why density is just as important.

Like pressure and volume, though, understanding density is also a matter of common sense.. . .To begin, let's squeeze a balloon. . .this reduces its internal volume. So, if the volume is reduced, the molecules within the balloon have to come closer together. (Think of a conductor pushing a crowd of people aboard a subway car.) In other words, the air gets "thicker," but the more appropriate term is denser. There is one important difference between pressure/volume and pressure/density relationships, however. Note that the former relationship is inversely proportional-if one factor goes up, the other goes down. In the latter, the relationship is directly proportional-if one factor goes up, so does the other. . .

. . .In free diving (breath hold), as a diver descends, his lungs decrease in size according to Boyle's Law. But this isn't the case when using scuba because a diver fills his lungs completely with every breath: To fill the lungs [or alternatively to fill a drysuit], the density of the air inhaled must increase to equal the ambient (surrounding) pressure, which is the regulator's function with a full tank cylinder supply pressure. . .The air in a breath taken at 33 feet/10 meters will be twice as dense as at the surface. Likewise, to get a lung full of air at twice the density of the surface, twice the number of molecules must be drawn from the tank. . ."

Gas Laws

Last edited:
Sigh. . .

Here for complete clarity is a true constant volume drysuit

0b-exosuit.jpg
Constant Volume. . . and Constant Internal Pressure of 1 atmosphere on the occupant.
IOW, not your typical recreational sport diver drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom