Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Flutter kick (or variation)

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRRibit....ribit,ribit or the modified version at times.

Whatever suits me at the time.
Rick

The one that most effectivly moves me from point A to point B with a minium of fuss, effort, and silt.

I just walk on the bottom.:wink:

Ok frog most of the time, flutter when I'm racing.

I find that at 1kt or slower, my most efficient kick is an ankle-based frog kick, with legs FULLY EXTENDED. None of this drag inducing legs bent up behind you stuff.

The same ankle sculling kick is good for 0 to about 1 kt, just by varying the kick frequency.

I use a full powered frog kick using the legs for 1kt to perhaps as much as a true 2 kts (10' every 3 seconds).

Above that it is full sprint mode with a paddle kick --- but this is "emergency flank speed" and rarely used.

... since i learned how to do it, or rather, since someone spent time teaching me properly.

if i'm close to the bottom or in swimthroughs, modified frog.

it's less tiring, no side to side roll, easier to do minor course corrections (natural transition to helicopter turns :eek:ut:)

It amazes me the answers I saw....that it why this site is great. I personally use the flutter becuase I find it more efficient and I use to swim competitively but once again it depends on what your use to. I have used the frog but it is the exception and not the norm.

chickendiver once bubbled...
I personally use the flutter becuase I find it more efficient and I use to swim competitively
There is a difference in swimming on the surface and swimming underwater (with fins.)

Without a doubt the frog kick is more efficient in terms of energy expended... that is if you know how to correctly do a frog kick under water with fins.

As you flutter kick part of the cycle exposes the frontal area of the fin to the flow producing drag. With the frog it is the edge of the fin that is exposed to the flow.

That is the reason you need to kick kick kick kick with the flutter while you can kick glide kick glide with the frog.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

There is a difference in swimming on the surface and swimming underwater (with fins.)

Without a doubt the frog kick is more efficient in terms of energy expended... that is if you know how to correctly do a frog kick under water with fins.

As you flutter kick part of the cycle exposes the frontal area of the fin to the flow producing drag. With the frog it is the edge of the fin that is exposed to the flow.

That is the reason you need to kick kick kick kick with the flutter while you can kick glide kick glide with the frog.

I have to partially disagree with you..
I find a flutter kick better in a constant current.. true the frog kick propells you further with each kick but the lag time you lose ground, whrereas the flutter you are always moving forward..

with the flutter some fins are better than others.. fins that are very stiff do waste energy on the upswing, but there are many modern fins wher its very stiff (springy) in one direction and relatively soft in the other reducing the negative effects..

I can move quite effectively using the frog kick and always use it when inside things, but when I am on OC I definately see an increased gas use when using the frog over the flutter..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom