Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Flutter kick (or variation)

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can move "with stealth and relaxation " all you want. You can be perfectly bouyant all you want. The fact is, physics is physics.

UP is right - just think about it. A frog kick " is directed up and to the rear... a flutter/scissors kick will send a good deal of force downward and disturb the bottom."

I dive the lake regularly with 3-10 ft viz, lots of silt, I hunt near the bottom regularly without stirring much up, and I ain't no freakin frog kicker zeN|| =-)

I personally use the flutter becuase I find it more efficient and I use to swim competitively but once again it depends on what your use to.
I also swam competitively. Did it for about 10 years. I voted Frog Kick.

Of course I was a breast-stroker :D

I do all kinds of wierd things with my fins depending on the situation. If I'm in no hurry, sight-seeing - frog kick. It stretches out the hams, for one thing, and just feels good. If I'm in a current heading for a line - definitely, flutter kick.

I have big-bladed Mares Quattro Avanti fins - and it doesn't take much to move the water (and silt), so near the bottom, I've learned to keep my fins above me, and sort of skull my feet (making little c's with both feet) to move along slowly observing whatever might be hiding under a ledge or holding myself still to take a picture without touching down on the bottom. I've seen video of myself doing this - and I didn't realize how wierd it looks - but it's effective!!

If I have to move off the bottom from a vertical position, I stop, think, and inhale to let positive buoyancy lift me away from the silt till I'm a safe enough distance away to frog kick clear.

Yep, I agree with your analysis of conditions for using a frog vs a flutter kick. I also on occasion use a dolphin kick, just to use different muscles once in a while ... not to mention that it's just fun. But that's for moving thru the water column when you're a few feet off the bottom, and you're in "travel" mode (i.e. not particularly interested in sight-seeing).

Then there's the helicopter kick for turning, and something called "stop and tuck" for when your buddy gets too close and you can feel your fins hitting him/her ... that one involves stopping your kick altogether, tucking your legs, and using your hands to propel you away from whatever your fins just touched. Since I dive a lot with "newbies" who tend to get a little too close from time to time, it comes in handy. I imagine that in warm-water environs it might save a coral or two as well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
[B Since I dive a lot with "newbies" who tend to get a little too close [/B]

Yes - I was recently in Blue Grotto (central Florida - popular place for training dives) with about 3 training classes, and found my self stopping and tucking QUITE a bit!

jroy017 once bubbled...
Frog kick frog kick frog kick, around here (quebec) usually so much silt if you dont do a frog kick you aint diving with me'....=-)

By definition, EVERY kick in Quebec is a Frog Kick. :froggy:

:eek:utahere:

jroy017 yes, I did think you meant it, I could see you, 5 minutes into the dive, your buddy, fluttering like a butterfly, and you signing to him-"Ok, that's it, out of the pool!" c'mon now, you are a Canadian:) zeN

By definition, EVERY kick in Quebec is a Frog Kick.
jroy017 yes, I did think you meant it, I could see you, 5 minutes into the dive, your buddy, fluttering like a butterfly, and you signing to him-"Ok, that's it, out of the pool!" c'mon now, you are a Canadian zeN

Are you guys insinuating that french canadian divers have attitutde?....:D

Well I guess we do...

Especially with people who call us frogs.....:wink: :boxing:

I'll be nice and restrain myself this time hihihi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom