Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Flutter kick (or variation)

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog kick for most touring and sightseeing. Flutter kick for going against current or "sprinting" ... or just for a change of pace to use a different set of muscles once in a while.

I wear splits. And yes, I can frog kick in splits. I can also flutter kick three or four feet off the bottom without silting up the place. Ask the DIR diver who was following me around last night ... he posts here too ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How 'bout Seacrest Cove 2? Spent nine hours there yesterday ... another "day at the office".

We installed an old ship's hawser as a guiderope from the I-beams to the white buoy in the center of the cove. You can bet we stirred up a bit of silt getting that puppy down ... it's about 4 inches thick and maybe 200 feet long.

Afterward, me, my wife, Jimmie, and another buddy (Alex) did a little tour of the cove. Vis was about 25-30 feet in front of us ... and vis was about 25-30 feet behind us.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That was you, Bob? My friend James saw it that night, and used it, and was happy it was there. He even remembered to tell me about it even though he and his buddy saw a fairly big six-gill, that circled around them for a while. So cool.

Thanks for doing that, I can't wait to see it for myself. Not that it's easy to miss the I-beams, but having a guideline never hurts. And the cove is becoming such a familiar playground for me, it's nice to have more landmarks in it.

Oh, yeah. Ribbit. I don't use a flutter kick anymore because a) it wears me out really fast, my heart rate goes up alot, and I feel like I'm moving way too much and b) I find that when I use a good solid frog kick, my buddies have trouble keeping up with me anyway.

I have discovered that there is a terrible injustice to cold-water diving. The more I dive, the less I move during a dive, and the colder I get. It's very frustrating. :)

:)

Margaret

Bio Fins, so a variation of the modified flutter is my primary means of propulsion. It's a kick-glide kind of thing and when I check or ask for feedback, I don't see silt behind me and am told I'm not silting. I do occasionally frog kick and can do an effective "helicopter" turn, but forget about backing up - I end up using my hands for that! I know when I take the cave classes this winter I'll have to invest in some Jet Fins and learn how to use them, but for the stuff I'm doing in the mean time, I really like the control, ease of use and lack of effort required to get around with my bios!

Didn't know until recently that the kick I've used for the past 10-15 years actually had a name i.e. frog kick!

Tried it after I saw someone else doing it and found it much less tiring and more efficient as well as comfortable. Also noted it didn't kick up the stoor as much. And with a bit of practice I could modify it to go backwards which was very handy when training people in the pool. I had a look at the UK GUE website the other day and found a very nice explanation of why it was so much more efficient.

Last year I did an experiment whilst following my buddy through a kelp forest. I took one frog kick for every 5 flutter kicks he made, kept up with him no bother and could have accelerated past him at any point without much extra effort.

I like it but that doesn't mean everyone else has to or will!

Oldie

I don't kick at all. I fart for propulsion!:eek:

Seriously, U/W I generally use the "frog kick", although we refer to it as "skulling kick"

Snowbear once bubbled...
Bio Fins, so a variation of the modified flutter is my primary means of propulsion. It's a kick-glide kind of thing and when I check or ask for feedback, I don't see silt behind me and am told I'm not silting. I do occasionally frog kick and can do an effective "helicopter" turn, but forget about backing up - I end up using my hands for that! I know when I take the cave classes this winter I'll have to invest in some Jet Fins and learn how to use them, but for the stuff I'm doing in the mean time, I really like the control, ease of use and lack of effort required to get around with my bios!

Pretty much same here, except that I favor the frog kick.

I also use Bio Fins and get so tired of hearing people say you can't scull or helicopter in them ... and that they silt up too much.

Frankly, the problem ain't the fins ... it's the diver.

Whirling Girl once bubbled ...
That was you, Bob? My friend James saw it that night, and used it, and was happy it was there. He even remembered to tell me about it even though he and his buddy saw a fairly big six-gill, that circled around them for a while. So cool.

Yep, it was me and three of the "regulars" who do volunteer maintenance at the park (we also put those new red buoys in last month).

James and John Sharps were the first ones to use the new cable after we tied it down. They were coming in as we were heading out for our final dive, so I heard about the shark encounter. Sadly, we didn't see the six-gill.

[QOUTE]o2scuba once bubbled ...
Seriously, U/W I generally use the "frog kick", although we refer to it as "skulling kick"

Um, that would be "sculling kick" ... a "skulling kick" is when you kick your buddy in the head ... :wacko:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok, ok...I have to ask this.

I'm a new diver, so I guess I don't feel too stupid....but can someone please explain how to do the "proper" frog kick? I generally use the flutter, just because that was what I was taught, but when I'm close to the ground, I do a frog. However, being new, I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right. Any help is appreciated! :)

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom