Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Flutter kick (or variation)

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, first let me say that the best way to learn how to frog kick is to dive with someone who uses it ... and emulate what you see. But I'll try to describe it to you.

First, you should be horizontal ... with your knees slightly bent so that your fins are a bit higher off the bottom than your head. Slowly separate your legs, knees slightly bent and oriented so that your fins point outward to the left and right. Then bring your legs together forcefully, straightening your knees and using your ankles to push the fins outward and back. End with a long, easy glide. When you feel your momentum starting to slow down, repeat.

With a bit of practice, it's actually a lot easier than it sounds ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Using the frog kick more as I get used to it. and now for the silly question.......is a six gill a shark or certain kind of shark?

Safe Diving,
Brutus

Brutus23 once bubbled...
...and now for the silly question.......is a six gill a shark or certain kind of shark?
Hmmmm. If you're asking if a 'six-gill shark' is a specific sub (species? genus? class? I have totally forgotten Biology 101) of shark, the answer is yes, it is.

You could do some internet research on it, but we have them out here in Puget Sound. I've seen them, though not on a dive yet. They apparently have a very similar shape and design as great white sharks, except that they don't have the telltale dorsal fin.

Check out Seaotter for some basic information about it:

Seaotter.com

Also, frog kicks, backward kicks, helicopter turns, etc. are explained and demonstrated on the Fifth Dimension website:

Fifth Dimension

Margaret

chickendiver once bubbled...
It amazes me the answers I saw....that it why this site is great. I personally use the flutter becuase I find it more efficient and I use to swim competitively but once again it depends on what your use to. I have used the frog but it is the exception and not the norm.

Same here. I see people doing the frog kick with fins on and it makes me cringe at what kind of damage you can do to your knees. I have only had a chance to try it with regular fins but my impression would be that it is almost impossible to do frog kick with force fins. You can probably work it with split.

Does anybody use frog kick with split fins or force fins?

If I need to go backwards I use my hands. If I need to send water straight back, I use my hands.

This could just be inexperience. Maybe once I have tried the frog kick some more I'll come to like it better. It may also be my fins. I have Aqua Lung Blade 2's and they just felt too long to get an efficient frog action out of them.

Ceberon once bubbled...
I'm curious what kicks most people would use when in the open water. So you're not in a cave, you're not against a silty bottom, you're a decent distance away from any obstacle. You're not in a hurry. Do you flutter or frog kick? (Or perhaps something else).

I frog kick almost all the time. It's the natural pace of my dive. I flutter kick in current, or if I'm trying to catch someone.

Well I sure won't be doing the frog kick with my cressi 2000s :)
I find it takes a lot of flexibility in the hips to do the frog kick well, though I use it in the pool, and like it the more I use it, seems like a difficult kick to do well. It certainly looks damaging to the knees, which are not designed for lateral stress, though I must admit there is something very relaxing about this kick zeN

Too bad 5th dimension videos are not working:(

Here's one that works http://www.divetekadventures.com/Videos/Videofrogkick1.htm

Frog kick frog kick frog kick, around here (quebec) usually so much silt if you dont do a frog kick you aint diving with me'....=-)

I don't think you have to use the frog kick to avoid disturbing the silt, it's a matter of buoyancy skill and moving with stealth and relaxation ~Z

zeN|| once bubbled...
... seems like a difficult kick to do well. It certainly looks damaging to the knees, which are not designed for lateral stress
The frog kick takes a little practice but once you really learn how to do it you will find it much more efficient and powerful than a scissors/flutter kick.

Done correctly the frog kick should not be laterally loading your knees to any excessive degree.

With the ankles cocked inward the force of the kick is directed up and to the rear... a flutter/scissors kick will send a good deal of force downward and disturb the bottom.

I don't think you have to use the frog kick to avoid disturbing the silt, it's a matter of buoyancy skill and moving with stealth and relaxation ~Z

Zen

Did you really think I would tell somebody before or after a dive listen if you want to dive with me you gotta use a frog kick or else go dive with someone else

Of course you buoyancy is the answer to silt but then again I haved dived with people whose buoyancy is ok but still mange to raise silt with a flutter kick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom