:) Fun question : How deep have you gone on single tank ? What's your record ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These days I am less comfortable without doubles, sidemount or slinging a tank doing deeper dives, but that's just me.

The-More-You-Know.jpg

The deepest single tank dive I did was 43m at the Blue Hole, Belize. Was one of the few times in the last 18 years that I've used rental kit (was a weekend R&R from military work near the Belize/Guatamala border) - so ponies/stages/doubles weren't an option.

Other than that, I use doubles for anything even remotely deep, complex or otherwise advanced. When travelling with my own kit, I use cam-banded indies.

Truk Lagoon, on the Hoki Maru. 167' on a 112, but barely touched the sand before beginning our ascent because I was on 29%.

Deepest on an 80 was 141' to the little boat wreck in front of Capt. Don's in Bonaire. Also did 141' (on a 120) to the sand at the Spiegel Grove, 132' and 134' on 80s with two consecutive dives on the back wall of Molokini, and most recently (this June), 137' at Devil's Throat in Cozumel on a 120.

Truk Lagoon, on the Hoki Maru. 167' on a 112, but barely touched the sand before beginning our ascent because I was on 29%.

Deepest on an 80 was 141' to the little boat wreck in front of Capt. Don's in Bonaire. Also did 141' (on a 120) to the sand at the Spiegel Grove, 132' and 134' on 80s with two consecutive dives on the back wall of Molokini, and most recently (this June), 137' at Devil's Throat in Cozumel on a 120.

Just out of curiosity where did you rent a 120 in Cozumel, what dive op did you use? I've been wanting to do this dive but refuse to use a single 80.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Where I learned to dive access to EAN for Rec was not offered at any of the LDS. Although training was. Was baptized into deep air diving too max depths of 130.' Staying too the edge of NDL (CP) then slowly ascending just staying out of NDL. Upon reaching 30ft we would spend the remainder of the dive looking for lost sunglasses etc. Single Hp120. Took all the appropriate Instruction and dove with very experienced mentors. I'm sure if I look in my logs I have over 50 of these dives. Narcosis was present, expected and respected.

Not chest beating just demonstrating that its all a matter of perspective.

Do I dive at the edge of my training and gear set. Sure.. Some would argue I'm crazy for diving this way. Once again perspective. I like to push my limits. Not exceed them until properly trained and equipped. I make no apology for it.

At around 80 dives I did a 50m dive with an Al80 on air. I would not do it again. On the way up at about 40 m my buddy had a bad narc and panicked I calmed him down and we continued the ascent, I was thinking how clever I had been !!!! a 30 m I realised my buddy was not with me , I had been so busy being clever that I had just gone off and left him (due to my narcosis) Fortunately nobody came to any harm but I learned to respect depth.

I post on a lot of forums and grab the best image macros and reaction faces for response images. I often find it funnier to use them for a response.

That's Moss from "The IT Crowd". A hilarious English sitcom. Check it out, first few seasons available on iTunes, etc...

Favorite gag - the outgoing message for the IT department's voicemail is "Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off an on?"

The question to me is not limited to how many tanks I have strapped to my ass..
A single tank might be big enough for the planned depth, but is the dive WORTH it? Both with regards to what you can see and with regards to how long you'll be able to stay there..

Im not going to claim one depth is safe and another is not without having more information, because its very individual how much gas you consume and we've not touched on what gas youre using and so forth.
What I WILL say is not safe however is doing deep dives without knowing these things and planning for it..

By single tank , I meant not with Tech mixes like Trimix.

I dove the Blue Hole on Guam I couple of times when I first moved there, so about 135 ft. on an aluminum 80. Other than that, I've never dove deeper than 100 ft. on a single tank.

-Mitch

As a general rule I won't go deeper than 40m on an AL80, and even then only for a few minutes - although I have done 42 or 43m a couple of times

Back
Top Bottom