:) Fun question : How deep have you gone on single tank ? What's your record ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've been to 155 on a 120cf steel in Cenote Angelita. We dropped down to 90 feet and stayed there for 2 mins, looking at the cloud from above. Then we dropped down below it. We were at 155 for 1 min 8 seconds, then started spiraling back up (Cenote Angelita is a pit cenote). We were below 100 feet for 6 min, 7 seconds. Total dive time was 27 minutes. We dove thirds even though this was not an overhead environment. Other than being dark, it didn't feel any different to me. I'm sure I was narced to some degree, but it did not seem to have any significant impact on my ability to think (I do math problems in my head to see how narced I am).

I like to go balls deep, but I always make sure I have a buddy.

50Fathom, that is not only a great little vid thingie, but a great show!

Michael

When I was a relatively new diver (about 80 dives) I went to 137 feet on an AL80 ... and air. It's not something I'd ever contemplate doing today, but back then I didn't know any better ... despite my belief (back then) that I knew it all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The question to me is not limited to how many tanks I have strapped to my ass..
A single tank might be big enough for the planned depth, but is the dive WORTH it? Both with regards to what you can see and with regards to how long you'll be able to stay there..

Im not going to claim one depth is safe and another is not without having more information, because its very individual how much gas you consume and we've not touched on what gas youre using and so forth.
What I WILL say is not safe however is doing deep dives without knowing these things and planning for it..

May 26, '07. Deep Diver course. Wreck dive on the Sonja Maersk off Chebucto Head near Halifax. 7 mil wetsuit. 37F water. Nitrox 28. Went to 131 ft. (unintentionally broke rules by a foot--followed Instructor/buddy--no excuse! ). Not a long dive due to NDL AND FRIGIDITY limits. Loved the safety stop. Previous course dive that day on another wreck at 120' and 33F had to inflate my sausage while on the bottom and reel it in going up. WHOA! Can't recall which one was with the steel 120 I had at the time and which as with the steel 71.2

C'mon, give the OP a break, Egypt is just experiencing the heady rush of freedom.

121' on an AL80 in warm sunny caribbean waters.
154' on a steel 108 in cold sunny ontario waters.

These days I am less comfortable without doubles, sidemount or slinging a tank doing deeper dives, but that's just me.

When diving Truk a long time ago (1988), my dive buddy, two dive guides and myself did a dive on the Nippo Maru where we dropped to 155 feet and cruised up the wreck to about 90 feet before ending the dive. If I remember correctly (dive log was stolen many years ago) the total dive time not counting deco stops was 20 minutes. We used 80s. Our deco stops were 5 minutes at 40' and 20 minutes at 20'. The boat crew had dropped a tank with a quad octopus at both stops for us to use if needed but none of us needed to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom