• Lamont's Rule

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Follow the DM

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Start ascent with 750PSI

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minimum gas for open water, for the Mexican caves, 1/3s plus a few hundred pounds, unless serious restrictions are involved, in which case it's even more conservative.
(I learned about minimum gas from GUE, and the cave stuff from Protec in my cave classes.)

Last edited:
There should be a none of the above option. For tech dives I follow very conservative gas procedures, but for relatively shallow recreational dives I try to surface with at least 14.7psi to keep water out of my tank. :)

I use min gas/RB and a gas apportionment strategy according to the profile. I learned it originally from NW Grateful Diver, and it was repeated in all my GUE and UTD classes.

Reactions: Eff
By staying within no deco limits my gas plan takes care of itself. I dive lp 121 tanks, so even with a 2400 fill I am back on the boat with 1200 psi if I don't do deco. Hell I can do a 30 minute bottom time at 130 on air and still be back on the boat after deco with 400. Gas hogs and extended deco divers are the folks that need conservative gas plans. Good sac or limited deco, basic mathematics are all that is needed

For tech dives I follow very conservative gas procedures... :)

Kindy funny considering that your name on here is MaxBottomtime. And yes that is a joke.

Now what I failed to include for cave diving it also depends if it an upstream or downstream (siphon) dive.

GUE gas rules for me, all of which include min deco...as has already been pointed out. :)

There should be a none of the above option. For tech dives I follow very conservative gas procedures, but for relatively shallow recreational dives I try to surface with at least 14.7psi to keep water out of my tank. :)

The majority of my dives are drift dives in South FL to about 60 feet. I'm a little more conservative than MaxBottomtime in that I generally head up at 4-500 psi and surface high 200s to high 300s psi. After a couple hundred of these dives, the 3 cu ft of gas I need for the 5 minutes, is extremely predictable

When I dive with my wife, I come up with 1000 psi or more, that's a different kind of plan

like almost every one has said all depends on the situations

for me, overhead dives are 1/3 rule with gas matching.

solo dives are in doubles and follow a loose 1/3 rule depending if im in a very easy site shallow etc.

dive on single tanks are normally beach dives with buddys so very very shallow ~20 ft max. depending on conditions we normally leave em pretty empty. like 200 psi some times.

single tank charter boat dives for me are normally to short to get my tanks past the last 1/3 but its normally 500psi minimum if with a good buddy.

i do like having extra gas for emergencies, so i do prefer to plan thing so im back with a good amount

Reactions: Eff
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom