• Lamont's Rule

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Follow the DM

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Start ascent with 750PSI

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gas hogs and extended deco divers are the folks that need conservative gas plans.

Big tanks and low SAC rates do make some of this moot . . . but the vast majority of people out there diving are diving Al80s. They don't have a thousand dives to get their SAC rates down to mouse levels, and the profiles they dive often aren't shallow. I think this kind of information is very relevant to all divers; what you and I have done is work it out and then just make sure we carry so much gas that it's largely irrelevant :) It's a very acceptable solution, but not available to everybody.

Hey Tony, I posted this in Basic Scuba as I was wondering about open water dives with a max depth of 130 and no deco/overhead. Sorry for not making that clearer. I was curious as why people choose what profile they use and wanted to have a discussion about it.
Thanks
GC

Could you re-post the poll with those criteria noted? As originally posted, the poll results are not very useful.

I like to plan 1/2 going out and return at a shallower depth. I head up so I have 500 psi in the tank. That gives me a bit of air for a shallow bounce / inflating my BCD. The those are what I do for a routine shore dive. I carry a 13 cu. ft. pony as a reserve for emergencies and sharing. Since it is completely independent of the rest of my rig, I know it is there but it doesn't get figured in dive planning, sort of my Over Draft Protection Plan, my bank has. Don't want to use it but it is nice to know it is there...

Running tanks dry is a good way to introduce sea water to the system.

I always have enough gas to bring both me and my buddy alive to a surface.

Sometimes thats 1/3 for penetration. sometimes 1/4 before turning.

Sometimes less reserve is needed.

I come up when I get cold/bored/hungry/lonely. (Usually with >1000# and awhile after my buddy and most people are back on the boat.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom