Gauge redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, can't seem to delete this post...

I dive multiple computers. Two of wich are the same. This ensures that if one floods or goes on the fritz, dive continues.
As to back up psi, it either works or you have catastrophic failure, turn the dive. I also dive 20cu' pony with spg to manage deco, on dives wear blow and go is not an option.
It only takes one computer failure at 80fsw to make you a firm believer.
Eric

IMO any equipment which, upon failing causes you even mild distress and which has a functional redundant mode should be backed up. That said, if it is possible to create a safe dive plan without the equipment in question, then I submit the equipment is already backed up. Just dive like you didn't have it.

I still don't own a dive computer. I dive with two sources of depth and time information. I won't start a dive without measuring gas, but I would not necessarily call a dive if the spg flooded, or whatever. Also, two HP hoses are not necessarily safer than one, IMO.

If I bust NDL, I'm on a trusted team. I'm less likely to trust a diver who needs two or more computers, then feels "safer."

If I had that dang much money, I think I would be trying to buy more reliable basic gear for my buddies. Hey, that would also give me my pick of buddies! I think my safety might top out under those conditions...

I have no depth gauge on my console so until recently I only have my computer for depth information. Now I have an analog gauge mounted on my wrist so if my computer floods or battery dies, I still have depth information.

Charlie99:
Analyze what you need to safely complete or abort a dive.

At any point in a dive, you should have enough air for both you and your buddy to safely abort the dive, so if your SPG suddenly fails, you should know that you still have enough air to safely end the dive.

Similarly, you should be monitoring your decompression status. If you have chosen to stay within NDLs, at any given point of the dive you should know where you are with respect to NDL. A failure of your computer shouldn't be a big deal.

Just think a bit about what sort of diving you are doing, and what redundancy you need, if any.

Here, here. Simply put rely on your brain first. Rely on your buddies brain second if you aren't a solo diver. And third to quote my good friend and dive mentor Uncle Pug - "Computers will rot your brain."

Now if you fail to agree with this and you wanted a redundant computer/bottom timer - then wear in it on your right wrist next to your primary computer...

I wear one compass lt wrist , one computer rt wrist , one dive watch rt wrist , one spg. If something fails i have my brain for starters , buddy for backup. Why carry extra redundant gauges , i dont know.

To date I have not had redundant gauges and it has started to bother me. So, I recently purchased a Sherwood 150' wrist-mounted depth gauge on eBay. This is the new configuration I will begin diving with: compass and M1 Momentum watch on my left wrist/forearm, Atmos 2 DC and Sherwood depth gauge on my right wrist/forearm. That will provide me with redundancy for time and depth. I don't have a redundant SPG but that doesn't concern me too much. I use a naked Dive Rite chrome-plated brass SPG. From what I can tell they are darn near indestructible and very, very reliable.

AI wrist computer, Analog SPG clipped off as backup, analog watch on wrist as timer backup. No backup depth gauge, currently, but my plan is to get a second computer (small puck style) and carry it as a redundant backup should my primary ever fail. I have full confidence in my computer, but should it ever fail (murphy lives!), I don't currently dive in places where I can't simply thumb the dive and surface at a safe ascent rate (using the old school follow your smallest bubbles method) and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom