Gear Advice - Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the original post asked for "experiences" did it not rather than opinions?

From my experience a system that is as fixed as the SP Tek harness with their d-rings, it is clearly a company that may make some really excellent items (jetfins, regs etc) but really rushed into the 'tech' arena without thinking the design through. The primary benefit of a BP/W design is it's modularity AND ability to be a fully customizable platform. With the way they set it up, your losing a great benefit. What if after a dozen or so dives he realizes that one of the D-rings isn't in an optimal position for him? He can't move it, he is stuck with the places SP thinks his D-rings should be.

Another thing to worry about SP and the 'tech' series is will they continue it OR will they discontinue it after a bit like the last time they tried to dip their toe into this type of system.

As for price, I'd suggest he actually price out similar rigs by DSS, Hollis, DR, Hog, OMS, Halycon etc. He could use the savings for A) Lot more dives B) More Training C) Combo of more dives and training.

I believe the original post asked for "experiences" did it not rather than opinions?
And all the opinions were based on people's experiences. Forgive me for not word-smithing my post properly. He also asked for "thoughts and comments" in the first post.

Semantics aside, the point was that the OP was arguing with people's opinions/experiences after having asked to hear them and not liking what he heard.

And all the opinions were based on people's experiences. Forgive me for not word-smithing my post properly. He also asked for "thoughts and comments" in the first post.

Semantics aside, the point was that the OP was arguing with people's opinions/experiences after having asked to hear them and not liking what he heard.

Out of everyone on this board Ozwald actually has the hardness, he actually dives with it. The rest of you provided a valuable but highly theoretical feedback. In my mind, real-life experience is worth substantially more than a theoretical advice based on general exposure. I think his words were "I love it" & "the rings, even though are fixed, are in the right position" (I think it might have been the other thread on this board, not sure)

Now... I would like to ask all those opposing the harness: why complain about non-adjustable rings if they are in the right place?

If you drive a sports car and I ask you how to select a bike -- yep... the same thing here.

In the end, I did get the harness, 40lb doughnut, and the rest of the set along with s25/s600 reg. I wanted to get atomic z2x but my connection at SP dealership had m25/s600 at a much lower price point, so I went nearly 100% SP line.

For those that are concerned with prices, I can tell you that I got it brand new at cost of a very large entity (40c on $1 of msrp). I'm not printing names here for the obvious reason. Two comments in relation:

1) yes SP is shameless in the amount of money they charge. The price of the product is artificially maintained
2) SP does produce good gear, and every person that actually USED the harness or their reg has only good things to say about that.
3) given #1 and #2, if I can get it at a very low price point, why shouldn't i.

Out of everyone on this board Ozwald actually has the hardness, he actually dives with it. The rest of you provided a valuable but highly theoretical feedback. In my mind, real-life experience is worth substantially more than a theoretical advice based on general exposure. I think his words were "I love it" & "the rings, even though are fixed, are in the right position" (I think it might have been the other thread on this board, not sure)

Now... I would like to ask all those opposing the harness: why complain about non-adjustable rings if they are in the right place?
Because "the right place" isn't the same for everyone, I thought I made that point clear in my post.

If you drive a sports car and I ask you how to select a bike -- yep... the same thing here.

In the end, I did get the harness, 40lb doughnut, and the rest of the set along with s25/s600 reg. I wanted to get atomic z2x but my connection at SP dealership had m25/s600 at a much lower price point, so I went nearly 100% SP line.

For those that are concerned with prices, I can tell you that I got it brand new at cost of a very large entity (40c on $1 of msrp). I'm not printing names here for the obvious reason. Two comments in relation:

1) yes SP is shameless in the amount of money they charge. The price of the product is artificially maintained
2) SP does produce good gear, and every person that actually USED the harness or their reg has only good things to say about that.
3) given #1 and #2, if I can get it at a very low price point, why shouldn't i.

I won't disparage Scubapro quality... they make damn fine gear, in my limited experience. I don't happen to think that harness is the "optimal" design, but "optimal" is a subjective thing. I'm sure you'll like the harness just fine, as I said. Also, good job getting a good price.

Well arthur you made a choice, I seen the system twice now and i can tell you it wont kill you like the zeagle ranger, I think where as the officer that died and the whole dive team could not release the weights from the rip cord.

It seems to be just fine and once your diving it your gonna love it and it will always work for ever.
Glad you were happy on purchase price cause that is what makes it worth it.

Pleas give a report throughout the year and explain how it has done for the purpose you bought it for.

Arthurmnev......."Now... I would like to ask all those opposing the harness: why complain about non-adjustable rings if they are in the right place?"

After 5 pages of posts you still missed the point about adjustable verses non-adjustable. Everyones chest and waist sizes are different and the rings will lay at a different spot. Yes a few inches higher or lower on the chest and waist rings more forward or back but it does make a difference.
Just like 80% of the people fit in standard sizes verses your fit in a made to order.

It sounds like you got an awesome deal on quality gear. You had a choice between x-tek form or pure harnesses. So you had choices under the scubapro brand.

Please do report back later in the season.
Hope to see you on the NJ dive boats.
Safe Happy Diving.

Both Scubapro harnesses are Excellent! They are also extremely well built. There are many other options and many of those are also excellent choices. "End of the day" it is really up to you! The more you dive, the older you get, how your life changes will all effect whats best for you now and in the future. I would refrain from buying everything at once. I would also listen to everyones opinion but not with too much weight, even if that person has 50 years of diving experience. They are not you and they likely have different needs, likes & wants... Don't be pressured into buying anything! We see questions like yours often and invariably the person asking the question is met with so many differing responses made of up facts, fictions, and personal opinions that it becomes overwhelming. I guess this is better then getting no response but sometimes not by much... Anyway, I hope that you enjoy the choices you made, I think they were good choices but perhaps a bit more than you need for a first set of dive gear. (That's just my opinion from what i have read here, it's not really worth much). I happen to like that harness too & may pick one up...

This is kind of a bizarre thread. I don't mind giving advice, when it is asked for... it's 20 years, 5000+ dives and rec/tech instructor experience available, for free to members of this board (yes, free... because unlike some commentators, my scuba advice is normally worth $250 a day). Similar situation for some of the other contributers... very experienced... very informed people.

It's pretty amusing to have that advice 'over-ridden' by some 20-dives guru, on the basis "you've not dived that harness". Here's a clue for you... THAT harness is nothing different... there's a dozen identical to it on the market. Seriously...

Fact is... virtually all experienced divers don't like the 'deluxe' type harnesses... because of the draw-backs listed. Some express a preference, which is fair enough, but really... IMHO that's simply evolved from not having enough diving skill to actually appreciate the pros and cons of the matter. As the saying goes... "ignorance is bliss". Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom