Gear Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my gear after my 20th dive, after I know for sure I would be diving frequently (>30 times a year). I second the advice above - after mask & fins, buy a good reg first. It can be used, provided it has been well-looked after and a good performer (such as those listed as 'best buys' by Rodales/divernet tests).
If you only do 20 dives or less per year, renting is more economical. This also gives you a chance to try out different brands and different gear configuratons before you decide on your purchase. Some shops have a rent-to-own program, whereby your rental fees can be applied (all or in part) to your gear purchase. Also, don't forget most divers have their regs serviced annually, which costs somewhere between $40-100.
The prices quoted by your shop seems a little high, although the Apeks is a good reg. You can get a good reg+computer+BCD package from many well-known manufacturers for $1000 or so, particularly if you get a non-integrated wrist computer and analog gauge instead of the Cobra (it's a good computer+electronic gauge, but costly). I'd get everything from LeisurePro except for the reg due to the lack of manufacturer warranty (LP has it's own warranty program). If you like your LDS, do some research on the web for best prices and ask LDS if they're willing to match these prices (or come close - I'll pay 10% over the competition if I really like my LDS).
Good luck and dive safely.

I got my normal snorkeling stuff first, but I got a BC and Regs before the class started.
I wanted to get used to my own stuff while support was around and before I got into the open water. I got the rest shortly after from getting sick of renting stuff and then waorrying about if I had enuff money to dive that weekend rather then just grabbing my stuff and going.
Made it easier for me. I did alot of research on the stuff I bought. i am happy with it at this point. Ive done shallow dives, deep dives, cold dives, warm dives and it works well in all conditions. So I cannot complain

thanks for all the responses. i made it up to the LDS today and i got to try out all the stuff that i'm thinking of buying in their saltwater pool. in addition, aqualung is offering a free octo with a reg purchase through july, so with that the prices match and/or beat leisurepro and other sites. also, the gear fit me and was far more comfortable than the rental gear. the reg breathed so smoothly, which was really nice. i'm definitely going to use rental gear through my checkouts, but i'm really really tempted to buy my own stuff afterward!

You should definitely try several different BCs before you buy one. Most rental BCs are jacket style, and that is the worst type, IMO. You should try a back inflate and BP/W and then buy whatever you like best. Don't buy something just because it is part of a package.

shannonjon22:
You may want to ask your OW instructor whether or not you can use your own gear for your OW checkout dives BEFORE you buy. I was not allowed to use my own gear, with the exception of mask, fins, wetsuit, and snorkel. I wanted to try out my BCD, regs, and Suunto Cobra computer but was told that for liability reasons I had to use the equipment maintained and rented by the dive shop. This may or not be the case for you, but if anything, it will give you some more time to save $$ to buy exactly the equipment that you want and not settle for something cheaper, imho. Good luck on your OW checkout dives.

This sounds to me like you got bulled into using there gear. But this is just my 2cents. When I took my OW over 10 years ago I use both there gear and my gear, but on every dive since I have used my own gear and have never ever had any problems what so ever. But saying that I did have one LDS tell me if I wanted to take my DM with them I would need to use gear that they sell at there shop.

I'm not going to weigh in on WHERE to buy your gear. That is a heated debate here on the board and not really your question.

I think rental gear is ok for OW lessons. But the lessons are only the beginning.

What I will tell you is this. Once you go under the water for the first time you will be a dive junkie like the rest of us. It is absolutely addictive. You won't be able to get enough of it. ( I think someone has a 12 step process on how to break the addiction of diving) .:scubadive

So where am I going with this....Don't fall into the trap of ..."This will get you started" type of gear. You are going to love the sport and will want the best gear you can buy. Buy the best that you can afford! Don't buy the cheaper piece of gear thinking it will do because ....I'm not sure if I like the sport. Then when you decide "I love this scuba thing" you are going to want to go deeper and more often and in cold water and travel to far away places and the "get by" gear will perhaps not be the best choice. I'm not recomending any specific piece of gear as we all have our favorites. I'm just saying to do your research (like reading gear posts here on the boards) and choose the very best that you can afford.

And by the way....it's ok to not make the car payment and to starve the dog in order to get that new drysuit or titanium reg...:D

I agree with up4air, do not buy a "starter set" because as you gain experience you will end up feeling the need to "upgrade" your equipment. Nearly everyone I know has two masks, two fins, three snorkles, etc ..... it is certainly cheaper to find out what you really want, and then buy the good stuff then. ALSO, no one has mentioned talking to other divers when you are out on the dive boats ... I am always asking people how they like their equipment .... ONE other concern is there are times when you end up at a dive destination, and the euipment they try to pawn off on you for your rental while functional, is not the best stuff... After one such experience I told my wife, if I was going to continue to dive, then I was going to do so with my own equipment ... One last thing, you will never be able to master bouyancy control if you are constantly diving in different equipment ...

If you are willing to buy the gear so go for it! I bought my (the 1st set) right after the pool hours, and great way to do OW with your own gear when there's instructor (and other more experienced) giving advices how to use, rinse, dry etc your brand new stuff. Just remember not to cry afterwards all the money gone:wink:

There is a lot to be said for diving with gear that you know is well maintained and you are familiar with. You have gotten good adivice from all these folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom