Gear/equipment comparison questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for more information. And I will look out for threads and information that seem to either reiterate what the information from their websites say about the equipment or simply advertising their gear.
I didn’t specify where in NC I am because my one and only local dive shop has a good reputation, it’s just I have not had the best experience(s) there and didn’t want to seem to slam them. I just need some help in deciding what the pluses and minuses to different pieces of equipment are and what will work best for me. I live close to Winston-Salem. I have gone ahead and driven to Greensboro. I had decent luck there. (At least I was waited on there.) I may also try some places in Charlotte.

Thanks again everyone!

Yes, there are several good (and some not so good) and pricey (and not so pricey) shops in Charlotte :wink:

Feel free to PM. Also what kind of equipment are you looking for?

Raleigh has a couple of good shops as well, one of which Colliam7 and I are on the training staff. Worth the time to check them out as well, esp if you are on the east side of WS. Be happy to give you the addresses of both.

My advice...it may take years to determine what you need. Many divers go through a few setups before finally settling. Many often spend a fortune, and then don't dive much. So here is some advice .....Dive....

As for equipment I seen some fairly awesome divers diving beatup stuff.. salt air is hard on it.

Reg - Needs to be serviced before you dive it... or new. I like Zeagle.
BC - I like Back inflate - BP/W, but they all work. Make sure the bladder holds air. Lift depends your size, and what you will be doing UW.
Wetsuit - Make sure it fits snug.
Fins - A million options and opinions. Needs to be comfortable.
Mask - Its all about fit. It should not leak. I like teardrop low volume masks.

There is a whole lotta stuff you may pick up but those are the basics. You can buy used or new, but I would buy cheap if possible as most divers who do this for long may buy lots of stuff over the long term.

I would not underestimate the value of support from a good LDS, especially for a newbie.

Very true. But I'd struggle to classify a dive shop that "only wants to sell what they might happen to have…right now" as a good dive shop. :no:

Take your time, try a lot of different types of gear, and dive alot. Then look around for sales or used gear for sale. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used reg from a major manufacturer, have it serviced and it just might be the last reg you ever need.

No need to rush it......that way you won't waste a ton of money on stuff you'll use for maybe 6 months, then you decided to go in a different direction with your diving style. I have been there, done that..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom