Gear-testing dive - flooded spg, should I have seen this coming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been said before but I say definitely get a new one. A 30 year old SPG really is a shot in the dark. I guess your O-ring became dry rotted over the years.

I would be very surprised if you DIDN'T have algae growing in the water. As I said earlier, this was the fate of my spg that leaked in Cozumel -- the water just got cloudier and cloudier until I couldn't read the gauge at all. There are a lot of microorganisms in sea water!

As the spg doesn't have sea water in it, I imagine that any growth occurring will be much slower than what occurred in yours. It's got chlorinated-pool-water in it, which will still have some microorganisms in it, so I guess we'll see what happens with my...
Submersible Petrie Dish :)

It's been said before but I say definitely get a new one.

Already got that covered. It's ready and waiting to go on it's first dive on Friday or Saturday.

Photo # 2 has a suspicious looking line that could be a crack that would let water in under a pressure differential of descent but air out on ascent. The gauge will be toast. you could drill and drain it and a little WD40 might save its life as a PG - no more S.

Photo # 2 has a suspicious looking line that could be a crack that would let water in under a pressure differential of descent but air out on ascent.

if you're referring to the horizontal line just above the water line, it actually goes across the back and on the other side. It looks (and feels) like it was from the molding process. couv's gauge from post 16 has the same thing... if you're looking at a different "suspicious looking line", please enlighten me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom