Getting ATM pesos in Manila..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My advice is don't rely on ATMs in the Philippines. They are often off-line, withdrawal limits are small, there are often surcharges on international withdrawals, and there is that risk the machine might eat your card, so why bother? Just bring sufficient $US and convert what you need when you are in the Philippines. The money changers at the airport offer fairly good rates, so does the money changer at the Landmark Department store in Makati.

I agree that bringing US$ is a good idea, but do remember too that theres a ridiculously small amount of US$ you can bring in without declaring at customs (around 200 i think, based on some ancient law we have). As you can imagine, practically no one complies with this but you dont want to be bringing a duffel bag full either -- that might bring the wrong kind of attention.

Are you traveling as part of a tour or are you taking public transport to PG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that bringing US$ is a good idea, but do remember too that theres a ridiculously small amount of US$ you can bring in without declaring at customs (around 200 i think, based on some ancient law we have). As you can imagine, practically no one complies with this but you dont want to be bringing a duffel bag full either -- that might bring the wrong kind of attention.

Actually you are allowed to bring up to $10,000 US cash (or equivalent amount of foreign currency).

IATA - Philippines Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details

I think the ridiculously small amount you refer to is Philippine pesos. You are only allowed to bring in or out 10,000 PHP, which is a little bit more than $200. (I think the reason for this rule is that the Philippine peso coins are actually worth more melted down, so they have a problem of people taking large amounts of coins out of the country).

Are you traveling as part of a tour or are you taking public transport to PG?

Actually, we sprang for private van transfer. Expensive, yes, but about the most comfortable way to do this, and no hassles. (Or so we shall see...):coffee:

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 10:31 AM ----------

My advice is don't rely on ATMs in the Philippines. They are often off-line, withdrawal limits are small, there are often surcharges on international withdrawals, and there is that risk the machine might eat your card, so why bother? Just bring sufficient $US and convert what you need when you are in the Philippines. The money changers at the airport offer fairly good rates, so does the money changer at the Landmark Department store in Makati.
Are the rates as good as ATM's? And then there is the problem of having US currency which is pristine enough for the moneychangers to accept. No wrinkles, tears, or other signs of wear, please. My bank was well aware of this, and last time I went to the Philippines we spent an interesting period of time going through their supply of $100 bills looking for notes which were clean enough to take a chance on.:shakehead: Oh well, the unique pleasures of international travel! Woody

I usually grab a few pesos at the airport (if they have them) before heading to the Philippines just in case. You won't get the best rate, but we are only talking about a few bucks difference.
I have also once had to resort to sending money to wife via Western Union. It works in a pinch but it is crazy expensive.

Actually, we sprang for private van transfer. Expensive, yes, but about the most comfortable way to do this, and no hassles. (Or so we shall see...):coffee:

Good call. I take its not your first time in galera. Happy diving!

Good call. I take its not your first time in galera. Happy diving!

Actually, this is the first time in PG. We were in Anilao about a year ago, and had private van transfers arranged for us. Good thing too, as I saw what public transport would have been like, especially with all our luggage. :no: Whew! And that was just land transfer! This time we have the channel crossing to contend with also, and I saw what the ferries were like when we dropped off a friend who was going to do it the cheap way. No thanks- private transfer for us, thank you very much.

Cash is KING.
The exchange rate(US$) in PG is slightly better than the airport.

Cash is KING.
The exchange rate(US$) in PG is slightly better than the airport.

You are talking the moneychangers, not the ATM's, right? As far as I know, the ATM's still give the best exchange rate, although you have to figure in the machine and bank charges, etc; and then deal with the screwiness of Philippine ATM's...
Decisions, decisions...
I think I will play both ends against the middle (as usual) and try the ATM route for basic cash, but carry some US greenbacks for fall back usage. I suppose that it's that basic rule of travel again- if you prepare for every eventuality, then nothing will happen.:D

It's too bad about the HSBC atm's that I mentioned earlier, though. I would have liked to have used them, but I asked HSBC themselves and they admitted that the only machine near the airport is over in Makati at the Enterprise Center. Sort of out of the way for my itinerary, I guess. I suppose I will see what OCDIVER1 can find out for me when he visits the Remington tomorrow.

March 17th is getting closer...(cue JAWS theme song:jaws:)

Back
Top Bottom