Getting back to diving after a break, what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
two years ago our daughter was born and we stop diving like 9 months before that so its been like 2 3/4 years since our last open water dive. we have around 60 dives logged on our diving sprint(before baby) in our local lakes and vacations. Anyway our regulators were serviced 2 3/4 years ago and we never use them again.

the safe thing to do is to get them service again i guess? scubapro recommends 100 hrs o diving or two years right?

We are going to do the Refresher on our LDS.

Our tanks have been sitting on the garage for that amount of time. what should i do to them besides the Viz inspection obviously?

Computers? new batteries and make sure they work?

BCD inspection? my bcd failed on the inflator assembly and a part rusted and i could not get it inflated anymore. i bought the part but i feel that it would be better for my LDS to fix it and inspect it.?

anythign else i am missing?

I am glad to hear you will be taking a refresher. As far as your gear, I personally would have it inspected and serviced as needed. Others may disagree with me, but since it is my life support under water, I want to make sure it is working properly. Definitely replace the batteries in your computers. The only thing missing is planning your next dive trip.

IMO: Regs, yes get them serviced. I didn't have my pony one serviced for lack of use and something seized up, a common problem I was told.
Tanks: You need viz anyway to get fills. Hydro if it has expired.
BCD: Check power & oral inflation. Check for leaks. If OK you're good to go. Seems you need it checked out from what you say.
Computer: Yes new battery(s). Unless the old ones were out, working now and you have a backup computer, or analog timing stuff.
Refresher Course excellent idea. Also even reviewing manual(s).

Definitely give the gear a good once over and service if required. Better checking it above water than below.

Regs - worth getting serviced to make sure they are properly lubed, o-rings are in good condition, valves work freely etc.

BCD - depending on skill level, repairing it yourself might be ok but if in doubt pass it to your LDS for repair.

Tanks - will need checking

Computer - batteries will probably be ok but worth taking them out to check if possible. Last thing you want is to find they have leaked when you need them the most.

Good to see you are doing a refresher before going back in - the skills are very practical and if not practised they will be rusty or possibly even forgotten.

Congrats on both parenthood and getting back into diving!
I went through similar 12 years ago. I kept diving after my daughter was born, but the frequency of my dives certainly dropped significantly!
You have things pretty much covered above... My only additional (future) advice would be to hold onto some old gear that you may eventually replace (assuming good condition, not size dependent, and that it won't be completely ancient when the time comes). You may have someone looking for hand-me-downs in 8-10 years! For me, it was nice to have that reg set available for my daughter when she got her Jr. OW a couple of years ago.
My wife does not dive, and I love having a new dive buddy in the household. Taking her to Bonaire next month for a Dad/daughter dive trip.
Great work on your planning so far. Enjoy every minute!

Congrats on both parenthood and getting back into diving!
I went through similar 12 years ago. I kept diving after my daughter was born, but the frequency of my dives certainly dropped significantly!
You have things pretty much covered above... My only additional (future) advice would be to hold onto some old gear that you may eventually replace (assuming good condition, not size dependent, and that it won't be completely ancient when the time comes). You may have someone looking for hand-me-downs in 8-10 years! For me, it was nice to have that reg set available for my daughter when she got her Jr. OW a couple of years ago.
My wife does not dive, and I love having a new dive buddy in the household. Taking her to Bonaire next month for a Dad/daughter dive trip.
Great work on your planning so far. Enjoy every minute!

hats really nice, I bet you enjoyed the teaching and mentoring, now you are having fun with her and diving together, that's a blast !!!...

We plan to do the same, have her to be Jr. OW for family vacations.

What does a typical BCD inspection cost?

I am scared to think the prices you could be quoted to inspect a BCD it should be free if you are getting your regs serviced and a refresher from the dive shop but thats how I would run my shop ymmv.

To inspect a BCD Look over the outside for cuts broken parts and any dry-rot then I would blow it up with the inflator make sure all the dumps open and close properly and dunk the power inflator to check that the inflator doesnt leak. After that I would stand it in the corner fully inflated overnight if it looses air then something is leaking and would need to be dunked to see where it was leaking.

Other than that a good test dive with your gear should be included in the refresher course to fully test you and your gear (pool or very benign conditions preferably).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom