Getting compressor nitrox ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbsdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have older ingersol compresspr and have ben using it for a while. Just had the air tested and it came excelent. I want to use it to blend nitrox i have a stick and use synthetic oil in the compressor. Is there any thing else i need to do to the compressor?

If im not mistaken I should be good up up to 40% even though I never plan on going that high.

You see my problem is I have a buddy who's has not dove in probably 15 years he used to be a instructor and he always thought nitrox with useless. But he saw me sitting up my stick for nitrox and basically went off on me telling me I was going to blow up the compressor and my house.

Synthetic oil is a must, it'll take multiple changes to flush out all the old petroleum deposits which are probably everywhere in a unit that old. You might consider taking off all the intercoolers if you can and clean them well (short of a full rebuild)

A good stick with minimal vacuum is key to avoid overheating. You don't want too many baffles in there making the compressor suck hard. Large smooth bore tubing from the stick to the intake, keep that as short as possible.

O2 analyzer
That's it, its not rocket science. Get the oxyhacker book for more good ideas.

no offense to your buddy, but it sounds like he is pretty ignorant on the subject of nitrox blending because blending normal recreational mixes via a stick isn't going to cause your compressor to notice.

what @rjack321 said though, just make sure you get adequate flow through the stick and all will be well in the world. Stick has to be sized much larger than the normal intake due to the baffling and there are some pretty easy ways to do the math if you know the baffle sizing, but other than synth oil and properly cleaning there really isn't anything else to do to the compressor for premix

Well i have had stnthetic oil in it from the day i got it
as 4 the intercoolers there new i had a leak so i changed them all
i have ben thinking of trying royal purple or amsoil they boath have a synthetic compressor oil and its easier to get my hands on

The stick is 1.5" hose 1" and the inlet on the compressor is .75"
i dont get them putting a 3/4 inlet on the compressor i thought it would be bigger on a 5.5 cfm

Well i have had stnthetic oil in it from the day i got it
as 4 the intercoolers there new i had a leak so i changed them all
i have ben thinking of trying royal purple or amsoil they boath have a synthetic compressor oil and its easier to get my hands on
Is that oil a high pressure or low pressure compressor oil from the sources you mentioned. Call the manufacturer for an oil recommendation. I have a bauer and they recommend a couple of oils that meet their specs.

The royal purple i found when looking for a cheaper place to get what i use. It has the same cirt#s that i use now. And I just found out i got to buy amsoil in a 5 gal pail. i just dont need that much. So i hope the royal purple works otherwise its a 2hr round trip 4 oil whitch is cheaper than the s&h they charge.

The stick is 1.5" hose 1" and the inlet on the compressor is .75"
i dont get them putting a 3/4 inlet on the compressor i thought it would be bigger on a 5.5 cfm

You can test the vacuum on your inlet filters and stick by setting your O2 analyzer (presumably its at the base of the stick) to 0.209 and then turning on the compressor and watching the ppO2 drop. Then convert to psi or bar. You want it as low as possible.

1.5" seems a bit small for 5.5 cfm but it really depends on what you are using for baffles and how many are in there. You don't need very many to create turbulent flow and a uniform mix - fewer than most people imagine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom