getting insurance as a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...I wonder what will happen if G-d forbid something happens to me now? I got my life insurance long before I got certified (and honestly didn't know I would be getting certified then)....

So if I ride a motorcycle off of a flying C-130 with a parachute and dive gear so that I can land in the water and start diving, this is considered risky?

JodiBB:
Hmmm...I wonder what will happen if G-d forbid something happens to me now? I got my life insurance long before I got certified (and honestly didn't know I would be getting certified then)....

And what happens if you get a rate as a non-smoker, and then take up smoking?

I think I got my insurance from John Hancock. I tried to view the canceled check online, but the check view is acting funky on the bank's site

I am by no means an expert so don't take this as gospel but I think you're OK because you are beyond the standard 2 year period of contestability.

I could be completely wrong on this so check with someone that really knows.

fairybasslet:
...It's best not to lie about stuff like that. If God forbid happened while you were diving, and you lied about it, it would give the insurance company reason not to pay leaving your family in a mess.
It can actually get worse than that. If the applicant lied on the insurance application, the insurance company can, and regularly does, use that as a reason not to pay the death benefit, even if the death had nothing to do with the lie.

For example, you lie about diving, then get killed in a car accident. The insurance company refuses to pay the death benefit, and gets away with it. It happens.

WJL:
It can actually get worse than that. If the applicant lied on the insurance application, the insurance company can, and regularly does, use that as a reason not to pay the death benefit, even if the death had nothing to do with the lie.

For example, you lie about diving, then get killed in a car accident. The insurance company refuses to pay the death benefit, and gets away with it. It happens.

Wow. That's pretty creepy.

scuba seems to have little effect on my rates - it's mostly health issues they look for

I have one policy which pays X amount for natural death and twice that for accidental death.
However if I die while scuba diving the doubling clause becomes invalid and they just pay out the basic sum and this provided there is no evidence/indication of a suicide attempt.

I have another policy which doen't pay anything in the case of a death (or disablement) while scuba diving.

in my case, yes.

Several years ago, I took out an additional policy. I decided to go with a major carrier. During the approval process, I had to break down the number of dives I made a year and what percent of the dives were made in given depth ranges. Unfortunately, over 35% of my dives were in the 100 - 130 fsw range. In short, for a healthy, non-smoker, a 20yr term policy for $500K, I pay roughly $2000 per year for this policy alone.

Now that I have moved into technical diving, I would hate to even think what I would pay if I needed another policy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom