getting insurance as a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spacemanspiff1974:
So if I ride a motorcycle off of a flying C-130 with a parachute and dive gear so that I can land in the water and start diving, this is considered risky?
Well, actually NO.

"Risk" is the relative probability of observing an outcome that is "significantly different from the expected outcome." It is the opposite of definite, or sure thing.

Now, in the case of "rid(ing) a motorcycle off of a flying C-130 with a parachute and dive gear so that I can land in the water and start diving," the outcome is relatively certain :wink: , and therefore, not risky. (Good luck getting insurance against doing that, though!)
:D

BD

to reiterate what the other agents have said, be honest, look for the companies that don't kill you because you dive;

if a tech diver, be honest, they will rate, but this is about your heirs; price now be damned, take care of the spouse and kids; that is your duty

and don't get all term. Have some in permanent insurance that you can have forever; we may be healthy now, but we also never know when Mr Murphy is around the corner

If in Indiana, PM me and we can discuss things if you wish

TheHobster:
and don't get all term. Have some in permanent insurance that you can have forever; we may be healthy now, but we also never know when Mr Murphy is around the corner

Now, that's free advice! And, as the title says, "Free advice is worth exactly what it costs..."
You really cannot recommend that without knowing more about a person's situation.

I'm not saying that "permanent" (i.e. not "term") life insurance is a bad thing for him, but without knowing more, there is no way you can say it is good.

As a rule, from a completely unbiased (no, I don't sell any more) point of view, "permanent insurance" is good only for the agent, the agency, the issuer, and the insured client who is undisciplined in their finances. For most people, it is an overpriced product.

"Permanent insurance" is a misnomer. Term ("pure") insurance (at least most term, which is guaranteed renewable), once issued, will not be subject to "Mr. Murphy" anyway. Have you ever heard of "Level Premium, guaranteed renewable, term insurance?" Do they still sell any other kind? If so, I wouldn't be proud of that!

But, then, this was free advice, also! :wink:

BD

:lightning
And, yes, I am knowledgeable about such things, having been a licensed broker in multiple states, and now teaching University courses at graduate and undergraduate levels in the subject.

The company that I work for was recently sold, so I have been going through all the new company provided benefits. I did notice that the provided term life policy specifically states that they do not pay for deaths resulting from scuba diving. (among other activities) I will have to check to see who the carrier is.
Bottom line is: Read all the fine print!

I will definitely be checking my other policies.

Steve

BiggDawg:
Now, that's free advice! And, as the title says, "Free advice is worth exactly what it costs..."
You really cannot recommend that without knowing more about a person's situation.

I'm not saying that "permanent" (i.e. not "term") life insurance is a bad thing for him, but without knowing more, there is no way you can say it is good.

As a rule, from a completely unbiased (no, I don't sell any more) point of view, "permanent insurance" is good only for the agent, the agency, the issuer, and the insured client who is undisciplined in their finances. For most people, it is an overpriced product.

"Permanent insurance" is a misnomer. Term ("pure") insurance (at least most term, which is guaranteed renewable), once issued, will not be subject to "Mr. Murphy" anyway. Have you ever heard of "Level Premium, guaranteed renewable, term insurance?" Do they still sell any other kind? If so, I wouldn't be proud of that!

But, then, this was free advice, also! :wink:

BD

:lightning
And, yes, I am knowledgeable about such things, having been a licensed broker in multiple states, and now teaching University courses at graduate and undergraduate levels in the subject.

So when the chance to renew ends at 70, 75 or 80, what do they now have? When the renewability cost gets too high, what do they have? when they need to utilize the cash value for an emergency, what do they have - in an ideal world where people don't overspend, your Primerica philosophy would work; in the real world it doesn't

Term has it's place, but in my 17 years in the business, I have RARELY come across anyone that needs term only. Especially in the demographics of SCUBA divers; there is a need for virtually everyone for a minimum amount of permanent life insurance. But, this is the same type of discussion many have regarding buying at the LDS vs internet; it's price vs quality. I opt for quality as much as possible.

TheHobster:
So when the chance to renew ends at 70, 75 or 80, what do they now have? When the renewability cost gets too high, what do they have? when they need to utilize the cash value for an emergency, what do they have - in an ideal world where people don't overspend, your Primerica philosophy would work; in the real world it doesn't

Term has it's place, but in my 17 years in the business, I have RARELY come across anyone that needs term only. Especially in the demographics of SCUBA divers; there is a need for virtually everyone for a minimum amount of permanent life insurance. But, this is the same type of discussion many have regarding buying at the LDS vs internet; it's price vs quality. I opt for quality as much as possible.

Spoken like a true insurance agent. This forum is neither the place, nor the space to get into this :eek:fftopic: , but;
A "permanent" policy is simply a term policy with an attached saving or investment account. That account is very expensive compared to the alternatives. Forcing a savings program at below-market rates and triple normal transaction costs and commissions is not an improvement.

People buy the equivalent of term life for every other insurance they buy: Homeowners insurance is "pure insurance," as is medical and certainly auto insurance. You insure the home and vehicle only, but only with "permanent" or "cash value" life insurance do they buy the insurance, and make the mortgage payment together. For that matter, since they are dissimilar products, why not require life insurance and grocery payments with the same check? After all, food sustains life, doesn't it?

You are right, people need investments and savings. But the cash value builds up much more slowly with the insurance policy, than if the excess were simply invested in a basic bank account, much less a diversified mutual fund, the cash value would build much faster than in a life policy. And, the excess of higher premiums now much more than makes up for additional premiums to renew at age 75 or 80. Wow! I hope that I am around to invest at age 80, but fact is if a person needs life insurance at age 80 (because they have not saved, invested, or built any assets by then) they probably can't afford cash value life insurance now, especially not the excess premiums it would take to build cash value. As for the "scuba diving demographic," do we see a lot of scuba diving 80-year olds that need life insurance?
By the way, don't start with the quality vs. quantity argument. Quality in insurance has nothing to do with bundling the investment and insurance product, any more than adding options to a car like fancier radios increases quality of the car. "Quality" in insurance comes from the financial stability of the underlying issuing company, and the customer service provided by them. Neither of which differs from the type of policy being considered. They are both sold by the same agents, from the same issuers. The LDS vs internet analogy doesn't apply unless your LDS is also an internet seller...

And, I always get a kick out of the "in my 17 years in the business" argument, like that implies correct thinking. I was first licensed in the insurance business in 1981. Do the math. In 17 years, if all you recommend as an agent is cash value life insurance, chances are you will "have RARELY come across anyone that needs term only." I don't debate that. Insurance is most often a product sold, not bought.

All I said was "I'm not saying that 'permanent' (i.e. not 'term') life insurance is a bad thing for him, but without knowing more, there is no way you can say it is good," and "You really cannot recommend that without knowing more about a person's situation."

BD

So can anyone suggest a life insurance company? I've been talking to a couple of agents and looking at a dozen different policies... the rates are at least 50% higher if you scuba diver deeper than (depending on the policy) 45 or 70ft. I found one (Lincoln/Allstate) that asks if you dive deeper than 100ft.

West Coast Life is one I have used for my dive friends

Looks like West Coast Life penalizes divers by moving them down to the Standard category. Does anyone have specific recommendations for life insurance companies that don't penalize divers (or have reasonable penalities) for depths up to 130 feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom