Getting ready for DM Written Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I gave my DM Exam last week. It was easy. You need to have instructor manual for part of the exam which I borrowed. You need to read the general standards and procedures - Key Standards for the diver to Instructor ratios + Dive Master Conducted Program Sections - Discover Scuba Diving, Discover Local Diving, Snorkelling and Skin Diving Section. This part of the exam is open book and you can refer to the instructor manual. The equipment section had some questions about tank valves and regulators not given in Diving knowledge workbook, so read your encylopedia properly. Rest are all similar to your diving knowledge workbook.

I purchased the Encyclopedia on CD-Rom last night. I bought it because it comes with the “Diving Knowledge Workbook” in Electronic form. It seems very well done although the Encyclopedia doesn’t resize and is a bit weird to get used to.

I went through several tests and was amazed how well I did. I was also able to identify areas I was weak so I can study those as well. I downloaded the “DiveMaster Conducted Programs” PDF's from PADI. They look like just what I will need for the test.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will let you know how it goes.

Best Wishes
Scooter

I'm going through DM as well, Does anybody know how much is asked about the Haldanean models and such on the DM exam, I'm really stressing over this.

Hey LavaSurfer, best wishes on the test. I took it about 3 weeks ago, after going over and over the electronic workbook (I'm waiting for the encyclopedia - it's still in the mail...) I agree that it would be nice if it resized, but I really liked the answer key for learning from - lots of good data there. I didn't find the physics, physiology, equipment or skills portions very difficult, but I did have a hard time with the DM lead programs section as so much of that info (ratios etc.) was not in any book other than the instructors manual (which I didn't have a copy of) after taking the test they told me that portion was open book... lol now they tell me.

N@rco$i$ - once you are comfortable with the material in the workbook (not just able to answer the workbook questions, but the reasoning behind them, which is why the answer key is a good study tool) you'll be fine.

Aloha, Tim

Hi
Best way is having and studing Diving Knowledge Workbook.Sometimes Encyclopedia is litte bit too hard to understand and handdle.
Good luck for your test.

PADI MI-74417

My advise is just relax. It is not that difficult, but read every question throughly and take your time.

Red Vette:
My advise is just relax. It is not that difficult, but read every question throughly and take your time.

I Know I Know, But I am so Anal about tests. I think I missed one question on the Rescue test and it crushed me. :wink:

A friend of mine whom is very much into competing with me just enrolled into a SDI/TDI Divemaster program. He just can't stand the fact that I am working on DM and he is not. :wink:

He was telling me about the costs and requirements and I was floored. It seems like the requirements for SDI/TDI are lax. I didn't write them down as he was talking but it was very clear at least from what he was telling me that SDI/TDI is less thourough than PADI.

Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? Is he just full of it and trying to get my goat?

Don't forget about the special cases on the RDP. As everyone else has said don't stress out so much.

I think the real issue is this.....Who is your mentor? There are great mentors/ instructors in all of the agencies and sometimes some bad ones. Good mentors will make sure you are ready. When I took all of my exams I had a great mentor and a super CD who just drilled me over and over again. I think we did at least 3 times more than was required in tests, classroom and water work Did I like it? NO. But boy did I learn and when it came time for the exams and presentions for certification it was rather easy!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom