Getting serious about getting Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my wet suit gloves (and my whole wet suit :D) was good for 40min followed by 30min in 40degF (5degC) water!

Thanks,
-Rob

Rob:

LOL...

I was surprised by the number of people diving wet. I did three dives with guys who were diving in 7 mil farmer johns and both said they were very comfortable. I've got to tell you, I liked diving dry. I spent too many years skiing in below zero weather where you get to the point that you can't talk/mouth numb and your hands don't work anymore when done. I like being warm.

I don't know if my gloves are 3mm or 5mm. For some reason, I think they are 3mm. I was actually surprised that my hands were warm for most of the dive. After 35 minutes, they started to get cold (just the ends of my fingers). I didn't have much problem w/ water flushing through them...but dry hands would have been nice. I'll let you know how it goes once I get them set up.

John

I don't know if my gloves are 3mm or 5mm. For some reason, I think they are 3mm. I was actually surprised that my hands were warm for most of the dive. After 35 minutes, they started to get cold (just the ends of my fingers). I didn't have much problem w/ water flushing through them...but dry hands would have been nice. I'll let you know how it goes once I get them set up.

John

There was a TV show about temperature extremes and human adaptation. One interesting point was that blood flow (and therefor warmth) to the face and hands was not decreased in Inuit (Eskimo) as much as others used to warmer climes. An experimental subject wore a suit that kept his torso and thus core temperature warm and blood flow to the hands was maintained as the body wasn't trying to conserve warmth by restricting the extremities.

In any case, the drysuit has been ordered!

I went with the built-on BARE HD Boots rather than compression resistant "socks" and separate boots, neoprene neck, latex wrists, standard shoulder dump. It ought to arrive in a bit over a week. :D

-Rob

You won't be sorry you bought the drysuit. It will take a couple of dives to get the hang of donning/doffing and then a few more to get used to managing your buoyancy, but then you'll be off to the races!

You need to come west and dive with us at Blue Springs sometime. It's certainly not Gilboa but I think it's a bit closer for you. I'm usually there 2-4 times a month. It's just south of Waldron which is just east of Shelbyville if you want to calculate the travel time in Google Maps.

You won't be sorry you bought the drysuit. It will take a couple of dives to get the hang of donning/doffing and then a few more to get used to managing your buoyancy, but then you'll be off to the races!

You need to come west and dive with us at Blue Springs sometime. It's certainly not Gilboa but I think it's a bit closer for you. I'm usually there 2-4 times a month. It's just south of Waldron which is just east of Shelbyville if you want to calculate the travel time in Google Maps.
I've been to Blue Springs a few times. It is a bit closer, but the difference in drive time doesn't generally make up for the difference in dive site :) Now, with some buddies, I can alter the balance a bit. I'll let you know!

Rob, I'm incredibly jealous. I won't be buying a dry suit for some time- I was hoping to have one this summer- but unless someone has one (cheap) to sell me used, that just won't be happening.

Glad you're joining the world of the sane!

TG
Well, I never considered my wetsuit diving at Gilboa evidence of a lack of sanity. (Not that I dispute it, just that the evidence is found elsewhere.)

Maybe Denny will let you borrow his semi-dry? :rofl3:

My 7mm FJ/J does fine down to the tubes, but on the deep side, the compression really makes a difference :cold: and if I make a few more trips to the quarries each year, it will really pay off.

-Rob

I've been to Blue Springs a few times. It is a bit closer, but the difference in drive time doesn't generally make up for the difference in dive site :) Now, with some buddies, I can alter the balance a bit. I'll let you know!

I hear ya. But for me, with Gilboa 3:15 and Haigh 2:45, BS typically wins out since it's only :35 from my house. There sure isn't much of a comparison however. BS is decent by Indiana standards, but it doesn't come close to rivaling Gilboa.

Enjoy your new suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom