Gifts as Tips??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that in most cases, cash is king...trinkets are probably cool as "add on gifts" but they won't put food on the table!!!

However, the BCs and regs I left after a week of diving in St Croix were probably a little more than the cash tip would have been. :wink:

Scott

Rick Inman:
The Cozumel Insider mentions bringing gifts to give out as well as cash for tips. Here is what it says:

What do you think??
Been my observation that most DM's like the kind of tip that comes in a six pack. Preferably more than one. They have to pay the same prices that we do and generally are making substantially less.

Cash is still better though. I try to tip at the higher prevailing rate, US vs. local currency. Although once I got the exchange rate wrong and gave the DM about $45 for a 1 tank dive. Was he shocked, as was I on the drive home once I figured it out.

ScottZeagle:
I think that in most cases, cash is king...trinkets are probably cool as "add on gifts" but they won't put food on the table!!!

My sentiments exactly.

Most DMs rely on tips, as they don't make much otherwise. However, the items that I am most often asked for are backpacks and tennis shoes. In the cooler months, windbreakers and rainjackets are good items.

Rick Inman:
The Cozumel Insider mentions bringing gifts to give out as well as cash for tips. Here is what it says:
What do you think??
It's a quaint thought but let's not forget there is a Wal-Mart & Sam's Club in PDC... and the Chedraui on Coz. As was mentioned, this is not a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific.

I'm sure there are a few things that are harder to get in Coz but Cash has got to be the best option - Plus it's easier to carry. :crafty:

I'm sure there are some things that would make a good gift but how are us gringos supposed to know what is hard to get or not? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure the Chedraui has pencils & crayons. I've heard the Chedraui stock is a little erratic but it seemed to have all the staples.

Unless a full-time resident chimes in, I'd say stick with the pesos.

I am not a tipped employee, so I can comment here without having an alterior motive :)

As several above have said...trinkets and gifts are appreciated add-ons if you feel inclined, but should not be substituted for a cash tip...this goes for the six-packs too. My crew doesn't even drink.

Often, the crew depends on their tips to supplement their income, how much they depend on tips varies from shop to shop. Regardless, the tips help them support their families.

Remember, these are hard working guys, not cavemen or charity cases. Although there are hard to find luxury items, blue jeans, tennis shoes, and other name brand clothing items can be found here, and especially in Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Hand me downs or things YOU may find "neat" may not always be appreciated (in some cases yes), and in some cases can actually be offensive. Of course, they would never tell you they were offended and would graciously accept the gift. Unless you know the person and know of something specifically they would like from the US, it's safer not to make assumptions and to stick with the cash tip.

Hope this helps :)

Christi:
Remember, these are hard working guys, not cavemen or charity cases. Although there are hard to find luxury items, blue jeans, tennis shoes, and other name brand clothing items can be found here, and especially in Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Hand me downs or things YOU may find "neat" may not always be appreciated (in some cases yes), and in some cases can actually be offensive. Of course, they would never tell you they were offended and would graciously accept the gift. Unless you know the person and know of something specifically they would like from the US, it's safer not to make assumptions and to stick with the cash tip.

Hope this helps :)
This is what I was thinking when I read the Cozumel Insider, and I still wonder, why did they write this?
Makes you wonder...

I usually take a whole bunch of those little 2-3oz booze bottles you can get at the liquor store checkout, the sample sizes.....people love those, especially CC Whiskey.

Tamas:
I usually take a whole bunch of those little 2-3oz booze bottles you can get at the liquor store checkout, the sample sizes.....people love those, especially CC Whiskey.

Well, we typically don't want to aide or encourage the crew to drink. Alcoholism is a big problem on this island as it is.

How much cash is considered a good tip? I know it varies from country to country, and even within the country!
I was an outfitter (horseback) for years in the Colorado mountains, and I hated it when I knew the people had a great time, but forgot or ignored the tip.
Anyway....ten bucks per person? Twenty for the DM? I would like to be generous, but not stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom