Gifts as Tips??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie:
How much cash is considered a good tip? I know it varies from country to country, and even within the country!
I was an outfitter (horseback) for years in the Colorado mountains, and I hated it when I knew the people had a great time, but forgot or ignored the tip.
Anyway....ten bucks per person? Twenty for the DM? I would like to be generous, but not stupid.
This has come up every once in awhile... It seems that $5 per tank is acceptable.

That's what I do and then throw in an extra $20 or so (per DM & Captain) at the end of the trip. Maybe that's being too generous, maybe it's being cheap...

So, let's do the math from last trip (2 people):
7 days diving, 4 tanks per day = $140
2 DMs and 1 Captain = $60

$200 may seem like a lot but is well worth it to me as a reward for good service.

Interesting enough the DMs and captains sometimes give you hints on what they like other than cash. Usually they do this by complimenting something you bring onboard. Say the new blublockers on your face, your backpack, or an unusual item like a dive strobe. (These items are generally not too expensive) If I am diving with the same crew all week I will gift them one of these items, at the end of the week, in addition to a cash tip. If I am going to be diving with different DMs I generally tip daily with cash. I always figure the cash tip based on US dollars and don't try to convert, what did I pay in US dollars for the dives? Look at it this way....if 20% is what you would pay to a waiter/waitress at a nice restaurant in the US, without blinking, then why should it be any different with tipping DMs and Captains? I know they work much harder than waiters/waitresses and they spend more time with you ensuring your satisfaction. Have to get another back pack and sunglasses since they stayed in Coz earlier this month along with a good amount of cash :D
Just my opinion,
Loretta

If you want to bring something school supplies are always welcomed. The Chrysalis Group http://www.cozumel-click.com/chrysalis.html is a good place to start. :07:

We are leaving for Roatan in a few weeks and I already have a small suitcase full of school supplies.

Back
Top Bottom