Giving Diving a Bad Name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontario Diver, good summation! I agree with it. But I think some divers think that just becuase they have taken the Advanced Open Water Diver course they are advanced divers. Experience is the key to becoming an advanced diver. And we only get experience by diving and diving and diving and......

~lildiver

Can't agree more with you Ontario Diver. What the AOW course does is give the OW diver alook at what are the possibilities for diving. Butch:wink:

OK, maybe we are missing the point here in the death of this Darwin candidate in California. Still, I think we are raising valid points in and of them selves!

There is no way that the other diver being OW, AOW, Rescue Diver, Master Diver, Dive Master, or even an INSTRUCTOR had ANYTHING to do with either the stupidity or felonious intent that was demonstrated by this "accident". It seems that NIETHER had their heads screwed on straight for what ever reason, and now one of them is hanging around Davey Jones’s Locker. The one who is escaped is guilty of something, but I have no way of determining just what. I hope the courts go to town on his butt.

Now I agree that a name can do a lot of good, and it has the same propensity to do a lot of harm. Calling it an Advanced Open Water Certification may be technically correct, but it carries with it the connotation of the diver being an expert as well. There seems to be no controversy among us to how false that notion is. Somehow, we need to devise a name that will inspire SOME extra confidence, without making it sound as if the person has nothing more to learn. "Enriched Open Water" or "Open Water Plus" come to mind, but hey they sound a bit lame too. We should look for a name that co notates that the individual is continuing to advance their training beyond the basic limits.

As for the actual curriculum of the AOW Cert, I wish they would require the COMPLETION of a certain number of the specialties, including Navigation, Night Diving, and Deep Water Diving. This would entail MORE dives to accomplish the AOW cert and would make it actually mean something! Of course then everyone would scream that they were only after more money. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't!!!

:p

you think really well for a guy with a sore back! But you just have to regrease the Spell Check!

I was recently on a boat with some really nice people finishing up their AOW--fine divers, too. They were working with an excellent DM--very knowledgeable, personable and user friendly. But one more time I was in awe that u/w photography was an AOW option. I like the idea that O-D had: have Rescue Diver precede AOW. And, if PADI,etc. think u/w photography merits their attention, offer a one or two day primer course. Ditto, naturalist.

And I agree with Pete: names are just names. But people can think that because I have this name I am this thing. You just gotta look deeper into your soul and say to yourself, "Self, am I really that?"

Pete, will you see if I spelled "gotta" correctly?

And to the rest of you kind folks: if you violently disagree with me, shoot the spears at Pete: he is already injured!

Joewr

Yeah, yeah, yeah…

Kick a guy when he’s down… flat on his back… at the bottom of the sea…

AND HIS SPG READS “0”!!!

:p

“forget Putting the Spell Checker on “stun” Scotty, put them thar Spell Shields up!!!

Well, I have read all the words of wisdom for all of your wonderful posts. Whether you check # of dives, C-cards or scatches on your tanks; it all comes down to the responsibility of the diver. I have been on boats of "only experienced divers" and seen people that had trouble attaching their first stage to the tank. These were divers with many dives in their log books (Remember who makes the entries in those log books). You could make entries for as many dives as you please. The true test of GOOD diver is his/her desire for additional training("Good Divers Are Always Learning",Dive Training Magizine), regard for safety(for themselves and their buddy) and their attitude while under the water and on surface. Take notice of the divers in your group on your next dive trip. I have seen well trained new divers double checking their buddy, checking tables/computers, and being very conscious of their attitude/ability while diving. To me that is a Good Diver. I have seen triple digit logged divers that were as rude, inconsiderate, standing on coral, kicking the sandy bottom, and so in control of their bouyancy that they bumped into everything and everybody. (Hey Joe, this soap box I borrowed from you is big.) I guess to summarize; the C-card is just like a drivers license. You take your life in your OWN hands when you indulge in it's use. Personnally, I am very proud of my C-card. Flo and I had a great instructor(Wayne Weatherford, Burlington Dive Center, Burlington, NC). He made sure that when we went out into the world of diving that he had given us all the tools needed to safely enjoy the sport. I have thanked him for this on each dive I have taken.
I will step down now.

Stay up there: you look good! And I really like your motto! Oh yeah, I remember something Flo said that day in Coz when we met you guys: "I never dive where there are not palm trees!" Ain't warm water wonderful....

You know, it always amazes me when I see someone get ready to hop in the deep blue without going through the routine: check wts, check straps and cumberbun, check pressure, check computer, check BC inflator, check dump valves, check clearing mech on alt air and test alt air, check clearing mech on 2nd stage and test second stage, check to make sure you have fins on (Well, that's on my check list because I forgot once and it was really embarassing!), check compass to make sure you know where the boat will be in case you get separated, and ask your buddy if she (Barbara is my buddy on almost every dive) has done same, set macho bezel on watch, make sure the patch of water you are entering is clear (You mean you never had someone plop down on you? Lucky devils!), and GO!

To a novice diver it looks like a long list, but it literally takes seconds to do and it is important for those of us who like to breathe!

Well, Burt, I did use a little room on the box--anyhow both you and Socaldiver said it was okay!

Joewr

Many of my esteemed colleagues on this board have produced valid opinions and points of view. (I just love raising the hair on the back of people's necks.)And for the most part I would agree. I realize that it is just in the words as pointed out by NetDoc but I sure wish these agencies would revise the wording. When you label something the content should match the label and IMHO that is not the case at this time.

Your own responsibility is paramount as was so eloquently posted already and the illustrious and ever talented Joewr pointed out the "buddy check". Very important. My dive buddy and I are looking into new fins and so we went to the pool last night to try some out. First thing we did after suiting up is our buddy check, practice and routines become habit forming (hopefully good habits) even though we knew we were going to ONLY be in about 3 to 4 feet of water. Before you jump, I know people have died from shallower water so please save it :egrin:

Back
Top Bottom