Going from BP-wing to Jacket BCD ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am totally open to trying a BP/W. The one thign that bothers me is that the tendancy to float horizontal, face down, at the surface, even though I have a snorkel, so face down is sort of ok, I would rather the choice be mine and not my gear's decision.

What makes you think a BP/W is going to make you float horizontally, face down, on the surface? Mine certainly don't.

I am totally open to trying a BP/W. The one thign that bothers me is that the tendancy to float horizontal, face down, at the surface, even though I have a snorkel, so face down is sort of ok, I would rather the choice be mine and not my gear's decision.

Seeing as how you have not tried one, and are still in your OW class, I'm not sure how you would have the knowledge that a BP/W forces you face down at the surface. Or did your instructor tell you that? :shakehead:

You should try something before you make comments on it.. As you really don't seem to know what you are talking about. I know you are new, but keep an open mind and try things out. Especially before you buy!!!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts that have drifted off topic, contain insults or personal attacks, or quote those posts have been removed or edited. Play nice people.

First of all you decided to use one section of my post then went off on an inane ramble that did not make sense to man nor beast. You then use statements totally out of context and create ridiculous (spelling hint) arguments. I never said anything about who designed what.

Regarding my statement that a BP/wing is superior piece of kit why don't you tell us why every serious technical diver uses one instead of a BCD?

I guess what's not deleted by Cave Diver is still funny enough. :shakehead:

I guess when you run out of logic you resort to spelling corrections; I guess you have never posted a misspelled word on SB.

I guess you didn't follow the inane consistency of me referring back to mattboy's post without quoting it.

I guess you can't see that just because a BP/W is the preferred BC for technical diving does not automatically mean it is the best BC for every dive and every diver.

halemanō;5196122:
I guess you can't see that just because a BP/W is the preferred BC for technical diving does not automatically mean it is the best BC for every dive and every diver.

I don't see many people saying that.

Personally, I think people should try out gear and make up their own mind... rather than listen to what other people tell them to use or what other people think is wrong with various gear configurations. I mean suggestions are helpful but people still need to make up their own minds.

I hate jacket BCs myself (though I'll happily wear one if it is the only thing on offer) and find it annoying when other people take my personal dislike of the type of gear they use as an insult. There is lots of bits of my gear that other people hate using themselves, but I don't take their dislike to heart as their feelings are irrelevant to my comfort.

I don't see many people saying it either, and I also don't hear many people saying it. Perhaps that's because a silly debate like this mostly only happens on internet boards dominated by vocal BP/W users and in regions/circles where BP/W use does offer significant benefits.

Since a BP/W does not offer significant benefits for the vast majority of diving, both here and in most dive destinations, we have different silly debates (integrated weights, split's and airII's). :idk:

Seeing as how you have not tried one, and are still in your OW class, I'm not sure how you would have the knowledge that a BP/W forces you face down at the surface. Or did your instructor tell you that? :shakehead:

Oh my, that would be like some DM telling you that vest BC's were not designed by divers for diving. :shocked2:

halemanō;5196176:
I don't see many people saying it either, and I also don't hear many people saying it. Perhaps that's because a silly debate like this mostly only happens on internet boards dominated by vocal BP/W users and in regions/circles where BP/W use does offer significant benefits.

Why did you make this point then if people are not arguing that? "I guess you can't see that just because a BP/W is the preferred BC for technical diving does not automatically mean it is the best BC for every dive and every diver."

Since a BP/W does not offer significant benefits for the vast majority of diving, both here and in most dive destinations, we have different silly debates (integrated weights, split's and airII's). :idk:

See there you go supposing about the benefits or lack of. It's not your decision to decide what is beneficial for other people - basically you are doing what you accuse people with BP/Ws of doing. Your opinion about BP/Ws not offering significant benefits, is just that, your opinion and only relevant to yourself, not others.

like it or not a BP wing setup is a superior piece of kit

halemanō;5194926:
I am not the only poster who could be labeled biased and I am most likely not the only poster who does not agree with your statement above.

Regarding my statement that a BP/wing is superior piece of kit why don't you tell us why every serious technical diver uses one instead of a BCD?

halemanō;5196122:

halemanō;5196176:

Why did you make this point then if people are not arguing that? "I guess you can't see that just because a BP/W is the preferred BC for technical diving does not automatically mean it is the best BC for every dive and every diver."

If one follows the conversation, the reason is pretty obvious. :idk:

halemanō;5196176:

See there you go supposing about the benefits or lack of. It's not your decision to decide what is beneficial for other people - basically you are doing what you accuse people with BP/Ws of doing. Your opinion about BP/Ws not offering significant benefits, is just that, your opinion and only relevant to yourself, not others.

Our perceptions are vastly different; you hate vest BC's and I hate ignorance. :mooner:

I gave the BP/W crowd the benefit of doubt by implying that there could be benefits, just not significant ones. Compared to dry suit steel doubles stage cave diving, the benefits of BP/W over vest BC in warm water single aluminum vacation diving are not significant and that is not opinion. That is relevant for the vast majority of divers world wide, who are making warm water single aluminum vacation dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom