Going to 100' for the 1st time (little nervous lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not rush going there. There is nothing really interesting in depth.
This kind of comment - nothing of interest at depth - periodically appears in SB posts. And, while I appreciate the fact that many reefs provide wonderful diving opportunties at 30 feet, there are any number of interesting shipwrecks that lie deeper than 100 feet. I applaud the OP for wanting to secure training to prepare him for diving on deeper sites, and look forward to a post - perhaps by tomorrow - describing his experience. On Tuesday, I dove on the USS Tarpon, off the NC coast, at 137 feet (to the sand). While not of particular historical interest - it sank in 1957 while being towed to a scrapyard for demolition - the now coral-encrusted hull provides a hub for marine life, and the substantial number of very large sand tigers that we swam with on Tuesday were simply marvelous. Of perhaps greater historical interest, and in the same general area, are three WWII German U boats sunk in action by US forces. Two of them lie at 115 feet, and provide a particular diving attraction. While there is plenty to see on some Caribbean reefs at 30 feet, there is also plenty to see on some deeper sites.
If all interesting stuff was laying in 30 ft I would not even go deeper
I very much agree. The reality is that all the interesting 'stuff' does not lie in 30 ft of water. And, at least along the eastern US coast, many of the shallower, inshore wrecks usually have poorer visiiblity. In contrast, the viz on the Tarpon on Tuesday was spectacular - at least 70 feet.

This kind of comment - nothing of interest at depth - periodically appears in SB posts. And, while I appreciate the fact that many reefs provide wonderful diving opportunties at 30 feet, there are any number of interesting shipwrecks that lie deeper than 100 feet.
I think you really should reread the post. What I said was there is nothing interesting IN depth not AT depth meaning depth by itself presents no interest.

Elan:

It's both I believe. To a beginner there IS something interesting "about" depth. As you get more experienced however, I think you begin to realize that there is nothing interesting "about" depth but ALOT of interesting things "in" depth.

I mainly wanted to make the point that I will be diving where things are I want to see; either 30' or 100'. I dive the site, not the depth. I will however ensure I have the depth training needed FIRST if I find something deeper than 100' that I do want to see on a particular dive

Elan:

It's both I believe. To a beginner there IS something interesting "about" depth. As you get more experienced however, I think you begin to realize that there is nothing interesting "about" depth but ALOT of interesting things "in" depth.

I mainly wanted to make the point that I will be diving where things are I want to see; either 30' or 100'. I dive the site, not the depth. I will however ensure I have the depth training needed FIRST if I find something deeper than 100' that I do want to see on a particular dive

Sounds good lets settle with that :)

Back
Top Bottom