Going to 100' for the 1st time (little nervous lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point, buoyancy is much easier at depth than in the shallows.

I would not rush going there. There is nothing really interesting in depth. Have you already done all the dives in your current comfort level ?
Depth gives less bottom time more gas is required you have to pay higher price for mistakes :s

If all interesting stuff was laying in 30 ft I would not even go deeper

I would not rush going there. There is nothing really interesting in depth. Have you already done all the dives in your current comfort level ?
Depth gives less bottom time more gas is required you have to pay higher price for mistakes :s

If all interesting stuff was laying in 30 ft I would not even go deeper

Someone put it in an interesting way,... for every atmosphere of depth you go, the problems are multiplied that many times, ie: 2 atmospheres (66 ft) + problems are twice the problem at the surface, at 3 atmospheres (99ft), the are 3X's the problem. If there is a reason to go to depth, then by all means pursue it by proper training & experience,... if you are seeing what you want to see at shallower depths, the why go deeper?

The biggest thing about depth is gas consumption. PLEASE read Bob's article about gas management before you go . . . gas management isn't taught in the curriculum of the major agencies, and every year, here in Puget Sound, we lose a diver who has done his AOW or Deep specialty, and is caught by surprise by running out of gas.

100 feet doesn't feel different from 50 feet, except it's darker . . . and you may feel a bit more apprehensive or notice that your regulator is a bit more difficult to breathe. Gas gets denser, and is harder to move through regulators AND through your lungs. CO2 retention happens much faster at depth, especially if you run into any current, so if you begin to feel as though you are short of breath, the thing to do is hang onto some structure and get your breathing under control.

Have fun with your dive -- although it's my experience that there is LESS to see if you go deeper, it's still good to have the training and experience to go find out for yourself.

TSandM and tstormdiver.......

Here is where my mind is at: I am in agreement 100% with you and everyone else who said it for that matter when discussing depth. I enjoy diving at WHATEVER the depth is at the location where whatever it is I want to see is at. If that is 40' cool, 68' ok, 35' awesome, etc. Point is that I am NOT simply doing the deep stuff simply to do it so I could say I did it. (Doing a job in the military for 5 years in the Special Operations community brought me to ALOT of really awesome schools. I, as well as all of my TEAM members, went to the specialty schools and graduated because they were part of our JOB requirements and we needed to be able to insert with whoever we were working with on that particular OP. What we COULD NOT STAND were people that we all called "badge hunters" (guys that chased and went to the schools ONLY so they could wear the badge on their uniform) who just thought they were cooler then everyone else).

I want to complete the Deep because there are several wrecks in deeper water that I would like to visit with :) As a rule, my own, I tend to AVOID the deep stuff UNLESS I DO have a reason. Some dives I may, some I may not. But I can tell you this lol, if I do NOT have a reason to go at 100+, I will certainly stay above haha.

I want to be able to do it SAFELY if I need to, or want to, in the future.

Without it I somehow feel "unprepared" if you can understand that. And I really don't like the feeling!

Oh, and I am diving a Sherwood SR1 with Sherwood Gemini Alt 2nd (should be ok with depth right TSand)

And any other Deep "gear" that I am going to need that I may not be thinking about?

Thanks again to all for the feedback.

Oh, and I read that link on GAS you advised also. VERY INFORMATIVE.

Thanks for the heads up

USVet

I think that people who are drawn to high-risk activities would be very well served in taking a methodical approach to obtaining training and experience in scuba diving.
Too much, too soon -- that's how people get into trouble.

What's wrong with conducting 50 lifetime dives with a max depth of 60-70 fsw before doing anything deeper than that?
More experience underwater will make you a better diver. Your buoyancy control will be much improved. Your gas consumption will become more efficient. You'll be a better, more conscientious buddy. You'll have more "free" mental bandwidth to cope with the additional task-loading that diving deeper entails.

Being apprehensive or a "little nervous" is just your mind telling the rest of you that you need to work up to it.

+1 on Lynn's comment about gas management. Not only will you be using your gas more quickly because of the depth, but it will be a longer way back home, and you'll be responsible for maintaining enough of a reserve to get you and AND your buddy back to the surface in case of a problem. (If you're diving the standard Al80, that reserve is going to be about half your tank!)

The Op has indicated he is taking this class. Telling him not to do it is pointless.

To the op, remember you can call a dive at any time for any reason, not to say you will need to do so.

Watch your air and pay attention to your turn time. Talk about this with your instructor. I generally dive deeper wrecks with a 19cf pony. That gets me to the surface from any rec depth.

Pay attention to the little games and drills they do. You loose red light around 33', and most people are narced by 80' regardless of if they know it.

Be safe, clear early and often and have fun.

You should look into replacing the spirit of miami with the dema trader, ophilia bryan, shallow tennaco, sheri-lyn, or almirante. Who are you going out with in Miami? Also do not forget to bring a lift bag and SMB. The currents can be quite strong at times and you can get blown off the wreck.

Everything else has been covered as far as air planning goes. Also don't be tempted to do any "trust me" minor penetrations just to take a peak.

Shark, Ron, Rong, Bubble, TSand, TStorm, etc..., thank you to ALL for your input.

I am taking the dive in a few hours, weather permitting [its been raining all day and storm advisory, so who knows lol]. I have spoke to the DM yesterday about the dive and the plan when we get that so I feel more comfortable about it [NOT just going in blind]. He also gave me a few pointers and some "what to expects" so that helped as well.

All in All I feel good. Went yesterday and did 2 quick warm up dives [if you want to call them that lol] at 35 and 32 feet to work on some skills and always work on safety drills.

So between the DM and the predive dives I did, I feel OK.

Also read the recommended Gas Management reading advised here so thanks.

I will post tomorrow when I get back and let everyone know my thoughts and share my experiences.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom