Good Back Up Light under $50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the dorcy

One important note on the Dorcy lights. If you choose to use Duracell batteries in them do not store them sealed up with the batteries in them! I have had two of them leak acid with Duracell's. When they do they will feel very stiff if you go to unscrew them. This is not corrosion on the threads. It's pressure. Lots of it. Enough to shoot the head across a room. No problem with Energizers so far. But then after the experience with the Duracell's I don't keep any lights closed that I'm not using now. Other than my 6 D cell mag lite for surface stuff.

One important note on the Dorcy lights. If you choose to use Duracell batteries in them do not store them sealed up with the batteries in them! I have had two of them leak acid with Duracell's. When they do they will feel very stiff if you go to unscrew them. This is not corrosion on the threads. It's pressure. Lots of it. Enough to shoot the head across a room. No problem with Energizers so far. But then after the experience with the Duracell's I don't keep any lights closed that I'm not using now. Other than my 6 D cell mag lite for surface stuff.

How is that something unique to the Dorcy lights? If you have bad batteries, any dive light will suffer--they're all equally a totally sealed tube.

I have two Dorcy's. I bought one in 2009. I liked it so much I bought a 2nd as a backup Spring 2010. Both also see yearly use as flashlights in my house. Neither has flickered or failed after a year. One I bought from Dorcy on a discount, the 2nd from Piranha. Piranha also sells extra battery holders for $1.00 more - o-rings are .49.

I'm not going to compare all the other suggestions but one advantage the Dorcy has over some is that it's a twist-on so there's no switch to fail/leak. Home Depot sells a plated quick-link that is the perfect size to go through the hole in the bottom - if there's one thing I didn't like about the Dorcy it's that the lanyard attaches to the light with 2 nylon threads. Of course a piece of cave line solves that problem also.

They're bright enough that in the Caribbean they are my primary light. Even a little too bright - floating on the surface once I was lighting up the bottom 70' down. Others divers saw it and on the boat commented that they could tell when my light passed over - 2 wanted to know where to get one.

It's not a 1000lumens but if you're rec diving in clear water, 1000 lumens scares the fish more easily. Or blinds your buddy if you also signal with your light.

How is that something unique to the Dorcy lights? If you have bad batteries, any dive light will suffer--they're all equally a totally sealed tube.

Just reporting my experience with these. I have had Duracell's in Princeton Tec's and Pelican's without the same issue happening. No idea why. Maybe it's the metal body being more prone to internal condensation from temp extreme's that promotes the off gassing/leaking of the batteries ? No idea. But it's weird that it's only Duracell's and only in the Dorcy's. Still great lights and I'd buy em again. Just passing on an experience that happened more than once.

I was looking about the Dorcy but I noticed all the bad reviews said it did great for about a year then the light started flickering and not working right.

Dang, I never heard that about the Dorcy. I've had mine for about 5 years, store it with batteries in it all the time, and it burns just fine. My dive buddy's works fine too and I think I got them at the same time.

That being said, I like lights with 18650 batteries now. The one from DGE is a badass! Same as DRIS 1000 but with the 18650 instead of C's and whatever the stubby takes (AA's or AAA's). The DGE 600 is priced way better too.

I had two high-quality brand new backups (a Heser and an Intova each +$70) fail after less than 5 dives and I decided that's the end for me and expensive backups. Since then I've carried $20 lights rated for 40m that I bought at a Fleet store. Had 4 of them 2 years now and all are still functional. The expensive ones were brighter for the 7 total dives I had them, but given that they produced no light for the next 22 months I'd say the cheap ones did a much better job of lighting up my dives.

This would not work if I didn't carry a powerful and tough primary light, but for backups the no names are good enough. If you are woriied about reliability you can carry 3 $20 lights for the price of one $60 light and Murphy has a hard time losing/breaking all 3 lights. I also like having a bunch of them because I can loan one out and not be too worried about someone breaking them or failing to return a light.

I am looking for a Good back up light to keep on my BC. I want it to use either AA or AAA batteries and not be longer than about 6 inches. I would like to pay less than $50 but still have a nice bright light. Does anybody own any good lights like this?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I highly recommend you try this one. The price is $49.9. Run in 3pcs of AA
Aliexpress.com : Buy diving canister light 3800lumen diving depth 100 meters run in 3pcs of 26650 free shipping world wide from Reliable light suppliers on ShenZhen E-Better CO.,Ltd

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I highly recommend you try this one. The price is $49.9. Run in 3pcs of AA
Aliexpress.com : Buy diving canister light 3800lumen diving depth 100 meters run in 3pcs of 26650 free shipping world wide from Reliable light suppliers on ShenZhen E-Better CO.,Ltd

Minos, do us a favor and give your honest opinion on what is a good product, don't advertise for ShenZhen (whom you have openly stated you work for in other threads) in threads requesting advice and opinions of experienced divers. If you wish to sell your products, go to the appropriate classified subforum.

Call Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs Florida.... They have a GREAT deal on Dive Rite backup lights... for......$49.95.... or REALLY close to that price...
Don't know if they are restricted from shipping... but never hurts to ask.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom