Good Back Up Light under $50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to try the Princenton Tec lights. I have had 2 over 5 years and one just failed and I am putting in a repair request thttp://www.divers-supply.com/scuba/lights/princeton-tec-impact-xl-light.htmlo the company. I still would buy another one today. $24.95 for a great light.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Since 2001, SB has allowed manufacturers/dealers to promote their product provided it is a direct response to a directly asked question. No starting of promotional threads outside of the appropriate classified forum, but answering questions, most certainly. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Minos, do us a favor and give your honest opinion on what is a good product, don't advertise for ShenZhen (whom you have openly stated you work for in other threads) in threads requesting advice and opinions of experienced divers. If you wish to sell your products, go to the appropriate classified subforum.

I bought a dive rite bX-1 from cave country dive shop for $50 last Friday. Actually, I bought 2.

Cave Country Dive Shop Dunno if they can be had online for that price or not. You could probably call about it.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - BX-1 Handheld Light

Takes AAA's or rechargeable 18650's. If you're willing to go a little larger on physical size and 25ish bucks more you can get one of those Chinese "3 C" 1000 lumen lights like the DRIS 1000. They're far brighter and available all over these days. I got the BX-1's for mounting on a helmet, so size was critical.

Wish it had a switch instead of twist on, but for $50 I probably shouldn't complain.

Takes AAA's or rechargeable 18650's. If you're willing to go a little larger on physical size and 25ish bucks more you can get one of those Chinese "3 C" 1000 lumen lights like the DRIS 1000. They're far brighter and available all over these days. I got the BX-1's for mounting on a helmet, so size was critical.

Wish it had a switch instead of twist on, but for $50 I probably shouldn't complain.

Actually, they are under $50.

Somebody mentioned the DGX 600 from Dive Gear Express (https://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/backuplt.shtml#3806).

I just bought one of these and I was shocked at how bright it is. I have been using a UK C400 LED Pistol-Grip light as a primary, and was shocked at how much brighter this little hand held light is. They also have a neoprene glove/sleeve so you can mount it to the back of your hand - with no cable or can to worry about.

I think it is super bright and should continue at full brightness for about an hour (before it starts to dim a bit) on a full charge (it comes with an 18650 3.7v L-ion rechargeable battery), but for a single night dive, or as a back up light, it seems like a great choice - for under $50.

Last edited:

I ordered this light after seeing it here... TOTAL waste of money! The switch on it is cheap plastic ring that is extremely loose. Light turns on "by itself" from just being clipped off or thrown in a gear bag. Didn't even take it into the water - not suitable for a dive light

It is very bright ...

I ordered this light after seeing it here... TOTAL waste of money! The switch on it is cheap plastic ring that is extremely loose. Light turns on "by itself" from just being clipped off or thrown in a gear bag. Didn't even take it into the water - not suitable for a dive light

It is very bright ...
I've got three of these. It's true they aren't super high end lights, and the ring is something to keep track of. Additionally, it's possible for the spring and ball bearing to rust out. Finally, it does suffer from a pillbox design.

Having said all that, I like the light a lot. There are very few 26650 single led light options. This has very good burn time with a 26650, and is damn bright. I've had them down to 100ft on numerous occasions, and they've survived.

O-ring quality varies between sellers. Sometimes they're great, but most of the time they suck. Spend $3 at home depot to get some better ones.

For $15, I took a chance on one of these (26650 batteries cost me another $6). Typical garbage o-rings in the cap which I replaced (with three sealing o-rings). I'll do the front end when I need to open the head. I used it for a week in Bonaire as my daytime light because the reflector makes a very tight and bright center spot (maybe 5 degrees) with a big immediate step to a large dim peripheral. It was good for poking into dark hole in the daytime and went the full week without recharge. I guess I'll see how long the switch lasts before I have to figure out how to rebuild it.

At that price, I was going to buy more but decided it is not what I want for night use.

For $15, I took a chance on one of these (26650 batteries cost me another $6). Typical garbage o-rings in the cap which I replaced (with three sealing o-rings). I'll do the front end when I need to open the head. I used it for a week in Bonaire as my daytime light because the reflector makes a very tight and bright center spot (maybe 5 degrees) with a big immediate step to a large dim peripheral. It was good for poking into dark hole in the daytime and went the full week without recharge. I guess I'll see how long the switch lasts before I have to figure out how to rebuild it.

At that price, I was going to buy more but decided it is not what I want for night use.
Sure, the optics are definitely suited for tighter signaling and trying to see into nooks during the day. You could always paint the reflector for a bit more spread (matte white). The o-rings are often garbage. I flooded my first one because I trusted the o-rings.

It is very bright ...

so even though the switch was crap. I took it diving. Failed and leaked at 65 ft depth upon first submergence..why do i beleive stuff I read on this board?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom