"Good Buddy" or "Dive Natzi" ??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you and your buddy are each other's emergency response

that means you need to be able to see each other, and more importantly, be able to get together quickly in order to assist each other

the guy that gave you that advice is ... well ... i wouldn't listen to him

just be aware that your husband is not your buddy. you are essentially diving solo.

No offense intended, but if your hubby is such a poor buddy, why don't you talk to him instead of SB? Its not only his life, but yours and your children. If my wife of 30 years suspected I did anything to risk my life, hers or our kids or anyone else, she would be on be like white on rice.

BUT NOT IN PUBLIC OUT OF RESPECT TO ME.

I do agree with the others, the Dive Con sounds like an idiot.

because she wants to emasculate his manhood, humiliate him, and step on his heart with her high-heeled dive fins

or perhaps because she has nobody else to ask. and perhaps you didn't read the part where the husband doesn't see anything wrong with his behavior?

You need to find a good Instructor for both of your guys, and that Dive Con doesn't work for one.

Your dive con is an idiot and needs to go back to OW class.

1+

If the dive con has anything at all to do with the class, RUN, don't walk, away and find a different class.

When diving with a buddy, you (and the buddy) are part of a team. The "teamwork" begins pre-dive, and only ends post-dive.

Underwater, your separation should never be greater than "one breath"; most people "get" that concept, but do not realize how close they need to stay to be comfortably within "one breath" of their buddy. The distance is surprisingly close. If your current buddy does not "get" that concept, have him/her exhale and then simulate an OOA and swim towards you, and perform an airshare using your octo. One time should convince them of how close they really need to stay to their "spare air" :D

Just "in sight" is way too far... touching distance with an out-stretched arm is about right... no more than a couple kicks away.

Best wishes.

No offense intended, but if your hubby is such a poor buddy, why don't you talk to him instead of SB? Its not only his life, but yours and your children. If my wife of 30 years suspected I did anything to risk my life, hers or our kids or anyone else, she would be on be like white on rice.

BUT NOT IN PUBLIC OUT OF RESPECT TO ME.

I do agree with the others, the Dive Con sounds like an idiot.

First of all GrumpyOldGuy, I have talked to him until I'm blue in the face and he doesn't see it as a problem. It is precicely why I have not let him dive alone with the other kids yet. [I want them with someone to help them look out for themselves]

The only reason I'm "airing the family laundry here" is to "check" on myself to make sure I'm corect in my viewpoint.. and perhaps find another approach to use my husband might listen to. As far as personal dive skills my husband is suprisingly good.. and a level headed guy under pressure. But I just can't seem to impress upon him the real risks involved in diving and how the "buddy system" greatly reduces the risk.

This dive con is the father of the shop owner where my son is scheduled to learn... I've seen the owner and other instructors work very well with their students.. that is part of the reason I was so totally taken back by his responce. I am just trying to make sure that this is as safe as possible and enjoyed for many years to come by my family. Right now it's difficult finding excuses not to have the kids in buddy pairs with my hubby.. I just wish he would wake up and notice the bubbles.

Greetings DiveMom1 and I am very concerned about training your son in this Dive Con's sphere of influence. The buddy skills you have described are totally acceptable and not out of line. In assisting OW training we suggest that buddy teams stay with in arms reach at all times. I realize that this is very close but it works to emphasize the buddy principal and they are to be checking each others air as well.
Seek other LDS to train your son and hubby! If possible and you can afford it put them both through OW again with an appropriate instructor. It is better to have more training than inadequate training! Just my opinion but that is how I feel.
I have witnessed very shaky buddy teams, who if the stuff hit the fan it would not go well! How these got their C- card I will never know but it scares me to death!
You obviously were better trained as you have a pretty good idea of what buddy team responsibility should be. Find a instructor who has the same desire to teach those skills.
Do not let this "dive professional's" words get to you but move on to another LDS.
Good luck with your training and keep that run-away hubby under control!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Get the hell away from that moron of a divecon and report him to whatever agency he supposedly represents and let his dad know you are doing it and why. As for your husband he needs to become a solo diver and up his life insurance. You and the kids are going to need it. He is the reason that divers die when they need their buddy and they are not there. Harsh yes. True Yes. If your hubby, that divecon, or anyone else doesn't like what I just said- TOO DAMN BAD! read about the deaths in the accidents and incidents. Divemom- PM me your email. I;d like to send you a portion of the paper I just did on the failure of the buddy system. Put it on your husbands breakfast with a note that he will never dive alone with your kids if he doesn't grow the hell up.

You need to find a good Instructor for both of your guys, and that Dive Con doesn't work for one.

Heck of a signature there Don, where did you find that?

and what he said...

First of all GrumpyOldGuy, I have talked to him until I'm blue in the face and he doesn't see it as a problem. It is precicely why I have not let him dive alone with the other kids yet. [I want them with someone to help them look out for themselves] .

My family dove as a team until the kids were older, sixteen and up, bearing in mind they started at ten.

The only reason I'm "airing the family laundry here" is to "check" on myself to make sure I'm corect in my viewpoint.. and perhaps find another approach to use my husband might listen to. As far as personal dive skills my husband is suprisingly good.. and a level headed guy under pressure. But I just can't seem to impress upon him the real risks involved in diving and how the "buddy system" greatly reduces the risk. .

It is not about the "buddy system" it is about how YOU feel discomfort and ill at ease due to his diving. He should be more aware of your perceptions, and certainly if the older children you mention were trained well they would be proponents of the buddy system. Have they weighed in on his behavior?

This dive con is the father of the shop owner where my son is scheduled to learn... I've seen the owner and other instructors work very well with their students.. that is part of the reason I was so totally taken back by his responce. I am just trying to make sure that this is as safe as possible and enjoyed for many years to come by my family. Right now it's difficult finding excuses not to have the kids in buddy pairs with my hubby.. I just wish he would wake up and notice the bubbles.

Do not give him excuses; tell him why. Look for Scuba Diving magazine's Lessons Learned, there are a plethora of things which could have been avoided if buddies were paying attention, or near and so on. Illustrate from real life accidents. Again, get the kids involved as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom