Question Good diving places close in Manila vicinities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Haiawata

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey fellow divers -
good time of the day. I will be in Philippines this June. Manila is not my favorite place for diving but if I stay there anyway before flying to other places; I want the time be spent well. I will be flexible with my schedule and driving to and from. Any suggestions on good spots and dive operations in Manila vicinities? All suggestions will be appreciated.

Happy Bubbles!

Can confirm. Just dove with this shop this week, and may again tomorrow. They have the wrecks, if that is an interest of yours. :thumb2: Subic Bay / Olongapo is not nearly as quiet as Anilao. Lots of local nightlife (if that is your thing), a recently added floating bar at Baloy Beach, and some good restaurants.
Thank you, I will consider!

Are these wrecks for penetratin or mostly observation from outside? I have done penetrating dives in Busuanga Bay but this trip I am mostly after the reefs.
1. Some of the wrecks are beyond 30m.
2. Penetration on the wrecks? I will be very surprised if they let you do that in New York. As for El Capitan? Possible.
3. You are after the reefs! Go to Anilao.

Can confirm. Just dove with this shop this week, and may again tomorrow. They have the wrecks, if that is an interest of yours. :thumb2: Subic Bay / Olongapo is not nearly as quiet as Anilao. Lots of local nightlife (if that is your thing), a recently added floating bar at Baloy Beach, and some good restaurants.
I am considering this now, after research and consideration; Anilao will not be the best choice. I looked into Mango’s dive center, and this looks good. Mango’s resort does not look so good so. What place did you stay?

We stayed at Mango’s also. It was fine for us. We had a two-room “suite” facing the beach that was not fancy, but comfortable. Small balcony to sit on. Decent WiFi. Very good restaurant. A bar called the Rock Lobster that shares the same menu in the evenings, with a oool table and live music every now and then. No complaints.

There are several other good restaurants a short walk away. Our favorite is the excellent Mylene’s Cafe across the street and about two hundred yards to your right if exiting the resort. 👍🏻👍🏻 There is also a floating bar within walking distance, and resorts that have pools where you can use it if you buy drinks and/or food. Mango’s does not have a pool. The hotels on both sides do. Walking around at night without sidewalks can be tricky. Take a trike if going more than a few hundred meters at night, especially if drinking.

A couple reality checks might be needed, though, if you haven’t traveled to the Philippines much before. :wink:

The Olongapo / Baloy Beach area has a dual personality. During the day, it is a Filipino family beach spot for folks from greater Luzon and Manila. There are vendors selling Philippine foods and snacks drinks, local ice cream, garlic peanuts, sunglasses and beach toys. It is a little chaotic, and you will not see many foreigners. There are even a couple of floating playgrounds (one right next to Mangos) that families with pay to bounce on. But it is a pretty enough view of the beach and the bay from the room’s balcony.

At night, though, this area is totally different. There are many bars in this area that focus on foreign customers in the mood for female companionship. The girls come from all over the Philippines to work in a collection of mostly small bars, often with pool tables, sit with customers, pour drinks, dance in bikinis, and (if that is your thing) leave with you for the night. It is not on the same scale as say Angeles City, but it is there and an important and visible part of local economy. That is the majority of the “nightlife” scene. Many of the other dive resorts in the area are also “guest friendly”, meaning that they attract divers who also like the nightlife, and are not surprised by divers bringing overnight guests home.

There is one larger / newer resort a few doors from Mango’s that has two pools called the Central Park Reef Resort. It is more expensive and I have not been inside. Always some nice cars parked there, but I don’t know much about it.

My wife and I did like Mango’s for both diving, and as a place to stay, but Olongapo is not Boracay or Siargao. It is a little rough around the edges. 🤣

Hope this helps!

We stayed at Mango’s also. It was fine for us. We had a two-room “suite” facing the beach that was not fancy, but comfortable. Small balcony to sit on. Decent WiFi. Very good restaurant. A bar called the Rock Lobster that shares the same menu in the evenings, with a oool table and live music every now and then. No complaints.

There are several other good restaurants a short walk away. Our favorite is the excellent Mylene’s Cafe across the street and about two hundred yards to your right if exiting the resort. 👍🏻👍🏻 There is also a floating bar within walking distance, and resorts that have pools where you can use it if you buy drinks and/or food. Mango’s does not have a pool. The hotels on both sides do. Walking around at night without sidewalks can be tricky. Take a trike if going more than a few hundred meters at night, especially if drinking.

A couple reality checks might be needed, though, if you haven’t traveled to the Philippines much before. :wink:

The Olongapo / Baloy Beach area has a dual personality. During the day, it is a Filipino family beach spot for folks from greater Luzon and Manila. There are vendors selling Philippine foods and snacks drinks, local ice cream, garlic peanuts, sunglasses and beach toys. It is a little chaotic, and you will not see many foreigners. There are even a couple of floating playgrounds (one right next to Mangos) that families with pay to bounce on. But it is a pretty enough view of the beach and the bay from the room’s balcony.

At night, though, this area is totally different. There are many bars in this area that focus on foreign customers in the mood for female companionship. The girls come from all over the Philippines to work in a collection of mostly small bars, often with pool tables, sit with customers, pour drinks, dance in bikinis, and (if that is your thing) leave with you for the night. It is not on the same scale as say Angeles City, but it is there and an important and visible part of local economy. That is the majority of the “nightlife” scene. Many of the other dive resorts in the area are also “guest friendly”, meaning that they attract divers who also like the nightlife, and are not surprised by divers bringing overnight guests home.

There is one larger / newer resort a few doors from Mango’s that has two pools called the Central Park Reef Resort. It is more expensive and I have not been inside. Always some nice cars parked there, but I don’t know much about it.

My wife and I did like Mango’s for both diving, and as a place to stay, but Olongapo is not Boracay or Siargao. It is a little rough around the edges. 🤣

Hope this helps

Hope this helps!
Thank you! I captured the image:). The Mango’s resort will do. I have traveled to Philippines many times before, I like them with what their are😊. Diving, people, girls, food, sceneries - they all match together. Additional thanks for a good food place. From there I plan flying to Busuanga Bay (to a completely rural town), and from there to Bohol. Both of these places I have been before.

There are several other good restaurants a short walk away. Our favorite is the excellent Mylene’s Cafe across the street and about two hundred yards to your right if exiting the resort. 👍🏻👍🏻 There is also a floating bar within walking distance, and resorts that have pools where you can use it if you buy drinks and/or food. Mango’s does not have a pool. The hotels on both sides do.

Hope this helps!
My wife and I would like to go (from trip to Taiwan) to Cebu/Manila in 2024, end of Jan. or Feb. I'd like to get a few dives in, so from Manila adding a couple of days to Subic Bay is a possibility.

Ideally if my wife can come on the boat as a snorkeler or just watch, that'd be the best. Or stay at the resort if it's not too boring. Sounds like Mango's without pool, may be kind of basic and boring if my wife stays on land.

Would we need to get local cash, or is credit card accepted at most places?

No personal experience on this but sound very interesting. Jan is usually the dry season so pretty safe on 4x4 off road adventure.

Some operator will provide dedicated snorkelling guide but suitable site is very limited. The dive boat usually drop them off and then pick them up later(around 1hr).

There is usually an extra charge(3-5%) for using plastic in Philippines. The bank exchange rate at the airport is very good and I always change money there.
"In God we trust, the rest pay cash" a very common slogan locally.

Back
Top Bottom