Good regulators that are cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any one in particular?

i dive the magnum and have no complaints. cold, warm, deep or shallow it has been flawless. I have also used the brut and oasis with the same results. so I would say any model they offer within your price range, btw the magnum is like $250.

I have to ask... if AL Titans are so great... why do so many get brought in here for trade?
My dive shop recommended the Titan to me based on my declaration that I would never be diving cold water or deeper than recreational no-deco limits. Someone who bought it for Caribbean diving and then later decided to dive in Puget Sound or one of the cold northern lakes, might want to trade it in for something suitable for those conditions. Just a possibility.

I don't think this is correct. I can't imagine any business refusing recall work for any reason. There is simply too much liability in it should your equipment crap out because of a known flaw that they decided they weren't going to fix for you.

I am pretty sure recall stuff is honored regardless...

That was something that I didn't consider when I posted, and you are probably very correct. Thanks for pointing this out.

Nonetheless it had the warranty card in the box and you know, I always throw those things away, never have used a warranty yet on a regulator, for 50% off retail, I can live without. Nobdoy knows where it came from when you take it in for service assuming you are one of those that does not service it yourself. People move, regulators come and go, I don't paint onmy forehead when I walk into the local steal you blind lds and proclaim my equipment is from LeisurePro, of course, if they ask I will gladly explain to them why my 174 dollars Titan LX is as good as their 500 dollars version.

N

I agree. Want a warranty? But two from LP at less than half a LDS's price.:wink:

I actually have my Scuba Pro regs that I bought at LP serviced by LP every few years and have never had a problem with my MUCH CHEAPER regs or the servicing at LP.

If your LDS will give you a great deal and you like them then great. If not, it's a global economy and good deals can be found in your virtual back yard with a little research. Good luck to the OP on your future purchase!:D

Like the OP, I have no intention of diving very deep or anything close to cold. My local dive shop recommended the AquaLung Titan. It's not cheap, but neither is a funeral. My regulator is the last place I'd try to save money.

Spoken like a person with 0-24 dives.

After you have tried 50 different regs in 50 different price brackets you may likely feel differently. Most recreational regs do more or less the same thing at recreational depths. Price is more important to your LDS and the manufacturer than it should be to you.

If you are dead, you won't care how much a funeral costs.:wink:

Cyber-diving optimality? :wink:

What are they telling you?

It is not that the Titan LX is the best, it is just a good regulator for the money that will suit the vast majority of divers. The reason some might be trading in is that they have been cajoled, bullied, fooled into thinking they are upgrading or maybe it is snob appeal?

The legal speed limit in much of the US is 70 or 75, my Toyota can do that easy, a BMW M3 can go faster but it would only get me a ticket and jail time. Likewise the Titan LX gives you everything you need 98% of the time, for the last 2% I guess go ahead and pay four times as much. And, that is fully recognizing that for a few people, that final 2% is important. Granted, if a BMW is what you want then a wonderful, reliable, loyal perfectly good Toyota will not do.

IMG_0520.jpg

In the back ground is my wife who is in the process of losing her weight belt, you can also notice her AL Legend. No worries, I was able to help her out and as well, she does have a modern poodle jacket but for some reason she will not give up on that old SeaQuest.

N

It is not that the Titan LX is the best, it is just a good regulator for the money that will suit the vast majority of divers. The reason some might be trading in is that they have been cajoled, bullied, fooled into thinking they are upgrading or maybe it is snob appeal?
I wonder if all that paternal cajoling about the need for better equipment doesn't work perversely on people's apprehension over diving. As well as convincing them it's more expensive than their interest warrants. Stay out of the LDS and off SB for peace of mind! :wink:
The legal speed limit in much of the US is 70 or 75, my Toyota can do that easy, a BMW M3 can go faster but it would only get me a ticket and jail time. ... Granted, if a BMW is what you want then a wonderful, reliable, loyal perfectly good Toyota will not do.
I think the argument is stronger that on the road you'll notice or need the better engineering more, than it is that you will as a recreational diver. If you can tell a reg breathes a little easier or if the thought alone appeals to you and that improves your enjoyment, then great. It's rather choice than prudence.

In the back ground is my wife who is in the process of losing her weight belt, you can also notice her AL Legend.
Looking at your wife struggling in the background while you're engrossed in the camera lens reminds me of a good reason to buy up: diving solo obligates one to have top equipment! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom