good solution needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of the dive boats in the Florida Keys have white vinegar readily available on the boats. This works almost instantly on moon jelly stings as well as fire coral and stinging hydroids.

Portuguese Man O wars are a totally different ball game. Vinegar will help a little but not as well as (believe it or not) Adolph's meat tenderizer, or other, preferably liquid, meat tenderizers.

The first time I got hit by a MOW I just sprinkled it on the stings. Didn't work at all. Next time I got hit with one I mixed the meat tenderizer with salt water (NOT FRESH), then applied it. Did the trick. I've heard lots of people say it doesn't work. My guess is, they just applied it dry, or with fresh water.

Safe Sea works great for sea lice, and some jellies. On the bottle it warns that it has not been tested against MOWs or box jellies.

Florida (and probably the rest of the Caribbean) get MOWs usually in January and Feb.

DocVikingo once bubbled...
This treatment is not supported by the literature or most dive medicine experts. It's an old wive's tale that sadly pops up in places that should know better.

It perhaps gained seeming credence because jellyfish envenomations that were urinated upon cleared up. However, fact is most jellyfish run ins clear up on their own. It has not been demonstrated that urine helps this process.

What has been shown, at least for certain jellies, is that if unfired nematocysts remain in the skin urine can cause them to release, making things worse.

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that ammonia does assist with most stings. Perhaps not as much with jelly fish stings as other coral stings?

Thanks for the replies
:)

The use of meat tenderizer has been around for years.

Local paramedics and lifeguards have stopped using it though. It seems that the protein in the tenderizer can sensitize a patient and may result in an allergic reaction some time in the future.

I still carry it in my first aid kit out of superstition. The meat tenderizer should not be used on open wounds. It doesn't know the difference between meat and what makes up your body.

Larry Stein

I'm sure the parmedics carry the "GOOD STUFF".

I heard the same thing can happen with Cortizone creams, which also work. (you can get sentive to it)

Ask anyone who has been stung by a MOW. Even the "Pee" remedy doesn't sound bad when you are in excruciating pain.

Personally, I'd take the pain to THAT treatment.

one of the men had a sting and a woman contestant urinated on him to stop the sting.

But they didn't show it on the episode.

I see we are all having a busy Christmas Eve...peeing on the sting...

Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

Larry Stein

The Chapter on Hazardous Aquatic Animals states "A diver who has been stung by a jellyfish should be removed from the water as quickly as possible. The rescuer should remove any tentacles, taking care not to come into contact with them. The wound area should be ringsed with 5% acetic acid or household vinegar (this is absolutely recommended for a box jellyfish sting prior to any attempt to remove tentacles adhering to the victim), sodium bicarbonate solution, or household ammonia solution to prevent untriggered nematocysts from discharging. Irrigating with vinegar is the most common recommended first-aid for most jellyfish stings, such as the Cubomeducae (Cubozoan) injuries. Alternative decontaminants include isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or papain paste/powder (unseasoned meat tenderizer) or, for Chrysaora stings, administer a very strong mixture of baking soda in a slush. The area should NOT be rinsed with freshwater or rubbed with sand to remove any tentacles because this will cause increased stinging. "

It also continues to say " For treatment of jellyfish stings other thatn Cubozoan, by far the most common treatments currently are ice or cold packs, anti-burn preparations, or anaesthetic preparations."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom