SCAM ALERT - Louis Crooks FB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only use "friends and family" with buddhasummer. No worries. :)

That’s because even people who have never interacted with buddhasummer in person, like me, think of him as a friend and family. He’s just that kind of guy!

Erik

I know he's top notch, but there are quite a few good apples on this board. If I'm buying on here and think it's fine I'll send F&F.

Just not with @RyanT ...can't trust him at all.. 🤣🤣🤣

Getting rocks back wasn’t near as bad as PayPal unilaterally supporting the buyer instead of me the seller :(

That sucks... there are truly ****** people in this world. Honestly the same thing could of happened to you on ebay or any of the other platforms though.. not just with PP.

Hypothetically speaking, how would you know if someone paid you via G&S if the total was what you asked for?

This will be the 1st real dick that I've dealt with selling scuba stuff, and it's partially my fault as I should have known better.

I don’t think you can (as you say, so long as the dollar amount matches up), I found out in that case during the process to try and get either the phone back or the funds.

I don’t like requesting F&F since I know it has connotations for my potential buyers, but I don’t really know what else to do after getting burned. Also why I prefer in person meetings with cash. Buyer can see the item, I can see cash. Yeah still a chance for funny business but generally lower.

There are of course exceptions, people on this board for example mostly I don’t care (maybe a brand new member, but most I don’t).

Getting rocks back wasn’t near as bad as PayPal unilaterally supporting the buyer instead of me the seller :(

I don’t think you can (as you say, so long as the dollar amount matches up), I found out in that case during the process to try and get either the phone back or the funds.

I don’t like requesting F&F since I know it has connotations for my potential buyers, but I don’t really know what else to do after getting burned. Also why I prefer in person meetings with cash. Buyer can see the item, I can see cash. Yeah still a chance for funny business but generally lower.

There are of course exceptions, people on this board for example mostly I don’t care (maybe a brand new member, but most I don’t).
You got burned by a douchebag. What you can do is photo/video your unpacking of the returned box for proof of return. Hindsight, but it's what I do when returning anything non-amazon. Picks of box, item in box, box taped, box with label. Works both ways.

Years ago when I was giving away some furniture on Craigslist, I picked who got it from among the people who could string a coherent sentence together (among other things).
So, you are saying that you still have the furniture.

man… I refuse any buyer that uses good and services…. Also generally just prefer local deals in cash whenever possible.

Sold an iPhone and buyer insisted. Said it was the wrong model and forced the refund through PayPal. Instead of returning the phone sent back a box with rocks that weighed the same. PayPal took the buyers side due to the stupid good and service thing. So yeah, never again.

There isn’t any service that I’m aware of that isn’t near blindly tipped towards one party. So as a seller, who has been scammed by a buyer, I’ll near exclusively favor the methods that protect me unfortunately.

I'm with you. When I sell things it's either local fact-to-face cash or via ScubaBoard using PayPal F&F. Using G&S allows the seller to be scammed like you were. These days I only sell via SB where it's clear that I'm active and there are a number of members that know me personally. If you don't trust me, then I don't trust you and we just won't do business.

If I'm buying from a seller that I don't know either personally or who isn't an active member here, they better have an e-commerce site for me to pay with a CC or I'm not buying.

There are other names for Canadians but I’d probably get in trouble. I’m half Canadian, BTW, eh, with a large dash of French-Canadian on the other side.

Just another example to NEVER use anything to buy stuff except PayPal Goods and Services (or equivalent). Seller said he had 2 transmitters for sale so I jumped. At 1st wanted to use Zelle, then PP Friends and Family. I insisted on PP G&S (I also ate the PP charges so he would get exactly what he asked for).... why I went through with it I don't know. It felt off, but it's easier to roll the dice when you're covered. To top it off they tried requesting $50 MORE after the fact, lol.

Anyway, he has a store / page / whatever called "Scuba Diving Gears for sale" on Facebook. Apparently I "hurt his feelings" (his words) and he kicked me off, but feel free to pester him. Shearwaters and Terics for sale all over his page. I call ********.

It'll at least take until May 5th to get my money back from PP as that's when I can escalate the claim, so it's a pain, but at least I am covered. Would be a HORRIBLE Friday if that money was just gone. Always, always, always insist on Goods and Services, even if you have to eat the charges (3.49% + $.49).

Edit: should have been blatantly obvious with a name like "Louis Crooks" :rofl3:
I never understood why buyers would expect the seller to pay for the buyers protection. Your story is a great example of how to buy it right.
I honestly think most people do not understand how paypal and or email money transfers work. Good thing you did.
The seller does not need protection. The buyer does.

Just wanted to follow up with this and how the process worked via PayPal (as I've never done it before and maybe this will help someone else).

I sent money 4/27, made a claim 4/28, made the mistake of following the prompts that PayPal sent. They push to try and work it out with the seller so the message was something like "please wait for seller to respond". Instead of waiting I should of just hit the button that said "Escalate this to PayPal". That option showed up 5/5, so about a week after the initial sale.

Today I hit escalate and within an hr I was refunded.

In the beginning I told PP what happened and even sent pictures of the conversation with the seller, have no idea if that did anything. All in all very easy process.

TL;DR: Don't use Friends and Family unless you really know the person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom